***15 YEARS*** Departure. Need help on where to Start? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
On Road RC For nitro & electric on road rc racing

Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: k.n.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX3S
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 1
***15 YEARS*** Departure. Need help on where to Start?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ok so last time I raced my R/C was 15 years ago when I was teenager. This was my Car and Setup

Chassis: F103RX
ESC: Novak Hammer Pro
Radio: KO Propo EX-1 Precious FM 27mhz
Battery: 1700mah Nicad 7.2v 6cell
Motor: Trinity Midnight 2 (27 turn stock motor)

I have no clue about the newer tech like 2.4ghz radios, Lipos battery+Chargers , brushless motors+esc.
So my question is Newer tech worth it given the extra cost? what are the pros and cons? What type motors/batteries,esc are people running in their f103 cars nowadays? I don't want to spend too much, i just want to revive what i got for now.

I recently got a Spektrum DX3S 2.4ghz radio as a gift because my old radio broke. I wonder how that compares to a KO Ex-1 Precious or Mars FM Radio of the 1990s. My radio at the time was a PRO radio the new DX3S is only a ENTRY SPORT level. Will a newer entry level Radios be more responsive than a PRO radios of the 90s? Same with my ESC it was 1994 world champion. If i purchase one of those $9.99 brushed no name brand ESC on ebay would it be faster more responsive than a Pro vintage esc?

Nimh batteries seem pretty cheap nowadays which i could definately use with my old charger. Or do guys think going the lipo route is better? I'm not sure how serious i would be with this hobby that is why don't want to purchase a whole bunch of new stuff yet. But definately need new battery, possibly motor and esc if I can't trouble shoot them. This is a headache, just need some advice, where do you guys think I should put my money towards.

retrorobot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Jeffrey Cassidy
RCC Noob
I am: JRC
Radio of choice:
M11 Airtronics
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Re: ***15 YEARS*** Departure. Need help on where to Start?

Hey Bro, Welcome back and yes its whole new deal with the electronics. Better, faster and in the long run more enjoyment. What class do you want to run. On road is carpet. But the weather is warming up, as of today easter weekend. So make a decision as to what you want to run. Off road is the largest turn out. On road out side is AWESOME no doubt, but small in following. Dont worry about the nex electronics. The learning curve is short lived. YES to brushless motors and YES to LIPO battery!!! MAN the run times are AMAZING compared to the old skewl 1400 1700 SCR-SCE crap!!!! Check out off road. SIDS RACEWAY in Mississauaga is dirt outdoor. Indoor Carpet onroad and carpet offroad at Universal Raceway. Huge facility with a not so great owner...... Staff and members make up for the rude owner. If you have some direct questions or want to buy some very well taken care of gear, I have enough to work with you on!!!

Let me know!!!
Jeffrey Cassidy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.