flatten HZ Super Cub wing - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Derrick
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 3
Re: flatten HZ Super Cub wing

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I do not think the efort is worth it. to flatten it out right, you would have to cut the wing, slot and add dihedral joiners and rebrace. given the fact that it is a foam wing with no spars, that alone would weaken it and you would have added a ffracture point as well.
If the plane has given you all it has to offer, it may ne time to move to a differet aitframe.
If you really want ailerons, cut them in, use blenderm tape to make hinges and fly. The ailerons wil work well with the dihedral seeing how the job of an aileron is to roll, period.
All that removing the dihedral does is cancel out the self righting abilities of the plane. you can still fly inverted, do loops rolls spins with the dihedral in place. seeing how it is a flat bottom airfoil, you gain very little for the effort put into makeing them flat.
charge batteries, and fly.
My 2c worth
tallone66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #22
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Steve C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

Shortly after I got the plane I took it up to about 50' and handed the control to my daughter who promptly put it into a nose dive - end result was the wing broke in two right at the bend so I glued and taped it and flew it like that for 2 years without any problem. So I have now cut out that joint, cut at the same place on the other side and glued the two halfs together with better glue, and taped it. I shortened the wing struts, added ailerons and it is now ready to fly.

As for flattening the wing cancelling out the self righting, that is exactly what I want. I want to improve my flying without spending another chunk of money on another plane. I have a PZ Corsair sitting it the basement that I can fly but it is not that fun for me because right now it is to fast and reacts to quickly to the controls. This is my intermediate step.

Was it worth the time and effort - for me yes, for others maybe not. I enjoyed spending the time working on it on a few cold dark winter nights while the girls were doing their homework. Others might prefer, or be better off buying a new plane but for the $20 or so I spend doing this mod I would say it was time and money well spent.
Edmonton is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #23
RCC Apprentice
I am: Thomas L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

The easiest method for flattening the wing I have found is to weigh it down at about the middle of each side, with the bottom side facing up. Next is to use some strips of packing tape about 10 inches long and place those tight on the bottom (top side right now). The trick is to not over tape it because you will cause some other un-intended warping.
tlovie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
RCC Apprentice
I am: Tim Foley
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Yep, check youtube for the packing tape flattening method, apparently works great.
Thorvald is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.