Airplane travel (customs) - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
RCC Contributor
I am: Chad Northeast
Radio of choice:
Futaba - Felt the difference long ago
# of RCs: >1

Total Props: 13
Re: Airplane travel (customs)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have travelled to many countries world wide for flying events.

I attached pictures of the model boxes we take as checked baggage.

Transmitters (2), lipos (10s 5000 mAh split into 5s....I usually take 6-8 5s packs with me), power supplies (2), and chargers (2) come on as carry on. Tools, motors spare parts etc. go in the with the checked baggage.

I have travelled across Canada like this, and also to Ireland, Poland, France, Argentina, Portugal, USA and Colombia. My only major issue was getting into Portugal where we had a pay a bond on the airplanes of 400 Euro (which I never got back....shockingly).

I always fly Air Canada, as they have the best policy for large checked baggage, often times I never pay extra for the boxes.

Let security look at them as they please, answer their questions quickly and with as little information as possible to keep them happy. Tape the leads on the lipo's up and seal them in a ziplock, keep your charge cables in your suitcase. Pack everything neatly. Bring along a magazine to help explain what it is all for.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1544.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	628.8 KB
ID:	188854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1545.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	475.9 KB
ID:	188855  
agl892 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
RCC Contributor
I am: DeanM

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by bhughes View Post
I wouldn't put anything in checked luggage lol they've lost my luggage way to many times lol
Thats tooo funny.....i travel for a living and in the last 5 years they only lost mine 3 times [and yes it was located and returned]....but then again they destroy a suitcase on me every 3 to 4 months.

Pack it in your carry on luggage if it puts your mind at all honesty i have not had much trouble traveling with my RC stuff without batteries.
6cuda6 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Ivan S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

Hi all,

Left from Montreal for Florida wit no issues. I my aluminum case I had DX7, 13S lipos,5 mini lipos, mSR,mCPX,ArDrone! all et fine. Only thing is the US border and Canadian bordertoldme to never put electronics in checked luggage anymore, all carry-on. Will see with USA clearance on my ay back! The thing that made them a bit suspicious was the 3S lipo, on the scan you see a big black box...
Spektrum DX8
Phoenix Flight Simulator v5
Hobbyzone Super Cub LP - Durafly SuperMarine Spitfire - GWS Corsair F-4U 400 - UMX Stryker-180 - UMX Gee Bee R2 - Litehawk Swift
Blade mCX S300 - Blade mSR - Blade 120SR - Blade mCPX - Trex 450 - Blade MQX - AR Drone v2
realbob is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Max Standen
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 6

I half the time when we travel somewhere I am bringing my radio and stuff with me. just recently I took my dji 450 quad with all the fpv gear in a little carry on case as i took the arms off the quad.I brought it through as carry on with 3 3 cell lipos and again they just talked about it and how it all works as they to were very interested in it. I also brought a brand new never seen fuel jersey modeler kero can in my luggage once.
Trex 600EFL Pro DFC ,EG Aircraft Mxs-R Matt Hall DLE 111 pro Flow canisters, Extreme composite Sukhoi, Ritewing Zephry 2 FPV, Twin Star FPV, DJI 550 Hexa FPV.
Max Standen. Trout Farm Flyers
Team Pro-Rc
flyboysnow is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.