battery - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: wilf h
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
okay to power a lt-40 size plane. Could a guy use cordless tool type batterys nicads or lithium.
I realize they may ne heaver than r/c batteries but I have a ton of the already in different voltages and amp hrs.
the other thing with NiCad is I can run them empty and not worry about harming them.
wilf is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: David C
Radio of choice:
MC-20 MX-20 X9D+ X12S
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 44
Re: battery

Sure you can.

You will not get any where near the run time that you can get with a LiPo of the same weight. power to weight ratio of a LiPo is like four times or better. You also will not be able to draw any where near the same amount of current from a NiCad of the same weight. You would have to make a battery pack weighing like four times as much to get the same current capability out of a NiCad.

With the Low Voltage Cut-Off feature of a speed controller there should be no issue with draining a LiPo down too much. Use a speed controller that has adjustable LVC and set it at 3.2 volts per cell or higher and you should never harm your batteries.

The NiCad reqd to power a 40 size airplane with decent power and run time will be absolutely huge.
No Bounce-No Play The one who dies with the most toys wins!
MC-20 MX-20 Taranis X9DPlus HORUS
Friends don't let friends fly Spektrum!
Electric flying is pretty much seeing how close to a dead short you can run without setting it on fire.

davidmc36 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

I Have some of the li-ion power tool cells that work not bad. They don't have quite the power of the lipos so it takes 4 cells of li-ion to equal the power of the lipos. A little heavier but work very well Some are the Canadian made Emoli cells made out in BC.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: David
Radio of choice:
Tactic TTX650
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4

Most nicd drill batteries are 1300mah - 1700mah and can output maybe 5-10 amps. The quality is low and not like the cadnica cells used for rc cars years back.
The li-ion cells you get from the drill packs (non dewalt 30V LiFe) are good for 10-25 amps depending on who make them. Capasity ranges from about 1000mah - 1500mah.
I have a bunch myself but the power to weight is low. When I ran rc cars I use the cells out of a 3.0ah makita pack where weight wasn't an issue and they ran fine setup as a 2S4P.

If you're planning on way-overpowering your plane and "flying like a maniac", you might consider gluing the tail feathers down to avoid flutter.
paladin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.