Waterlogged FPV Gear! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Aerial Photography/Video Discuss and exchange ideas about aerial photography and video in Canada.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Waterlogged FPV Gear!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I went out for an early morning flight an such a beautify, sunny and calm Sunday morning . My flight was going amazing and as my battery was getting close to empty, I dropped down for some low flying over the water. Unfortunately I did too much "ooh-ing" and "aah-ing" at the beautiful scenery. I didn't notice my altitude and I made a little boo-boo and ended up the river. The river was fast moving and really smashed up my plane. It looked like my FPV camera was already gone from the wing where it was mounted. It was hanging nose-low in the river. and was being pushed along at a fast clip to the lake. It went through some fast moving, rocky water and got smashed up some more. The wings were smashed off and the 2 major bits of wings and fuselage were floating down river in separate pieces. I followed it along the shore but could not get it, it was too far out. By now it looked like the motor was smashed off and was sitting more level in the water though completely submerged. Also it looked like the LG was gone, and with it, my GoPro Hero3
Well, I hoped at least I still had my DOSD and Dragonlink receiver in the fuselage, but with the bottom gone, I expected it to be lost as well.

After an hour and it well out into the lake, one of my flying buddies had a kayak nearby at his mother's house. He went and got it. But now it was 2 hours in the water, all you could see was the top of the fuselage. Everything was totally submerged! He paddled out very gingerly and got the plane.

His exact words to me via 2-way radio was " I am sorry to tell you that you have a busted prop!"

What?... It didn't register at first. Busted prop? how could that be? The motor was gone! I was positive I saw the firewall smashed off when it floated by when it was in the river

Then he pulled it out of the water. The Landing was still there too. Then he said "your GoPro has a red light on it flashing" Oh man was I pleased!!! Not only was it still there, it was still safe in its waterproof case and STILL RECORDING!!

We managed to get all safely to shore. My entire plane was all there except some smashed off bits, other smashed up parts, busted prop, and missing cowling and motor and FPV batteries. Hard to believe but given the fact I thought all my hardware was at the bottom of the lake, I was very happy.

After getting it home, I thought I would post how I got everything dried. Its 50/50 whether or not some or any of my electronics survived.

I will go through each one, Thoroughly dry it with a hair dryer before testing it.

Water Logged Hardware:
1: Servos
2: Dragon OSD
3: DOSD Current Sensor
4: ESC
5: VTX
7: Dragonlink Receiver
8: Loc8or
9: K171pro FPV Camera
10: Motor (Not shown)

The plane? it got a little banged up but nothing I cant repair in an evening or two. It will be flying again shortly!

I will update this thread as things develop. Wish me luck!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bigredwater01.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	190549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bigredwater04.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	190550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bigredwater03.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	190551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bigredwater05.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	190552  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bigredwater02.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	190553  
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Good Grief

Total Props: 0
Re: Waterlogged FPV Gear!

LOL What about your ADD Max?
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

You should not have problems if you dry everything off properly. The plane was in fresh water not salt water. 2 hours is not very long and the gear has not gone through wet / dry cycles.

Good luck. The Go-Pro should have some interesting footage for you.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Max Standen
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 6

Please post the video!
Trex 600EFL Pro DFC ,EG Aircraft Mxs-R Matt Hall DLE 111 pro Flow canisters, Extreme composite Sukhoi, Ritewing Zephry 2 FPV, Twin Star FPV, DJI 550 Hexa FPV.
Max Standen. Trout Farm Flyers
Team Pro-Rc
flyboysnow is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.