Looking for opinons on your local RC Flying Clubs - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 02-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: peter r
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
Re: Looking for opinons on your local RC Flying Club - Bad exp so far :(

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Mike i know we are to far away but this summer we are going to have 3 funflys. just go on the web its brightonrchawks.com just have a look Regards peter pres. of are club.
firehawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #22
RCC Apprentice
I am: Bru D
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Mike, I'd like to add my voice to everyone else who have chimed in. You really can't judge an entire club by just one member. "Water off a duck's back" as the old phrase goes.

Take the winter to drop in on the club meetings and hang out with the crowd and get a feel for you being welcomed or not. Today's lone wolf is tomorrow's member.....

Once you've seen the club's internal dynamics and focus, you'll be in a much better position to judge if they are a good fit for your needs.

Sometimes, it takes a while to see how the club actually operates but of the clubs that I've been a member of over the last thirty-plus years, only two have been walked away from without a backward glance, and two are at the other end of the spectrum with me being proud to have been a member of them and glad of the experiences.
DarthAnal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26

Originally Posted by watercooler View Post
$150 (if I remember correct) to join as a new member, $100 after the first year.
rental of property, $10000 mower, gas, repairs to field and fixtures, etc (former field manager for another club)
bigger planes need bigger spaces and attract more attention

Originally Posted by watercooler View Post
6-9 months to get a pilot license.
huh, only took me one month, or about 6 student nights
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #24
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

I have been into RC for over 20 years now and have experienced all sorts of mind sets and attitudes especially among some of the long time older club members.

My experience tells me that this fellow you encountered was just having a bad day. You never know what might have set him off. It works both ways. Students and new people can sometimes expect too much of club or an instructor. "

I can only fly on weekends so I need you to be there then so I can fly!" etc. Sometimes an instructor can feel overburdened, frustrated and just plain tired and he gets some student ranting on him how his needs are not being catered to etc. Then along comes you asking questions, an as benign as they may be --- it just reaches his frustration point to the end and thus his responses to you. Like I said, you just never know! Giving him the benefit of the doubt and a second chance, you will most often find a completely different guy the next time you meet. Very accomodating, friendly and pleasant. Not always, but most often has been my experience.

Please, please, don't give up on joining a club. You will never regret it! I started off flying alone and quickly got bored being by my self all the time so I gave up and didn't get back into RC Aeromoddeling for another 20 years.

First thing I did coming back was to go out to the local flying club and introduce myself to a number of the fellows, quickly got an instructor lined up and went home with the recommendations for a trainer airplane and the other things I needed to fly my plane. That was one of the best times of my life to that point. Within a month I had my wings, had made a dozen new friends and had an upwards positive learning curve that has suited me so well in various other aspects of life. Those same people are now life long friends and added to it, countless numbers of other friends over the years.

My only regret is that I didn't take those steps 20 years earlier! Sure, flying my planes was my first objective. BUT in all honesty, I go to the field now just as much to be with good friends, helping each other, always with good ole hangar flying while enjoying a "Timmies" as I do for the flying!

Building, flying and maintaining RC Aircraft is one of the most Educational experiences one can have. Learning to understand plans enabled me to build my 8' X 10' garden shed and a large BBQ deck as well as renovate my whole basement level of the house along with all the electrical and plumbing. Learning about engines and fuel systems has helped me to rebuild my snowblower engine back to new running condition. And on and on the list goes.

Please don't let one bad experience curb your enthusiam! You will never regret the life long accomplishments, friends, and and the enjoyment you obtain in this wonderful hobby.

All the best to you my friend!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #25
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 10

Hi Mike... my name is Jeff and I am one of the directors on the exec at HMA hespler model aviators club.. I am also a member at the New Hamburg club.. both of which are very nice clubs.. the new hamburg club is very open and friendly.. and the Hma club is too .. the new hamburg club is located half way between kitchener and new hamburg on carmel koch road.. the hma club is located just north of hespler on Hwy 24 at 2400 hespler road.. If you would like to give me a call ""pm sent with phone number "" sometime after 6 on the week days or just about any time on the weekend we can talk and I can help give you some direction.. there are several other clubs in the area as well and I can help you chose one as well as explain the membership fees that clubs charge.. and why.. also that crap about training of 6 to 9 months is just that.. I have known people to nail it down in just a few flights and most within a couple of months..about the worst was a couple of seasons but he was not at it steady just here and there.. alot of it depends on the person and the trainer.. I got lucky and my instructor was great.. after a couple of flights he would let me drop as low as 20 feet of the deck.. I would ask him after takeoff .. ok what do you want me to do.. his reply .. go out there and fly around where ever.. and have fun..
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:16 AM   #26
I am: Sean C

Total Props: 7

I have little experience with clubs, but I did stop in at the Woodstock field one day and talked to the guys flying. They are a very welcoming bunch of guys, invited me to come flying with them some time. I do attend the Timmins fun fly every year and have found them to be very welcoming bunch of good guys also.
spog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #27
RCC Apprentice
I am: Mike
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 3

Well let me say, I have received a lot of excellent information on both this thread, and via PM's. It is good to see people chime in with their opinions, experiences, and welcomes. I personally really appreciated it.

I'm also pleased to report that I had one of the directors of the HMC club (very near me) drop me a cordial PM, and I'm looking forward to popping in to their next meeting at the end of March.

Hopefully I will find myself a card carrying member once this winter finally sputters out. I've mounted a set of floats for the snow, and have some new control mixes I'm dying to try out, but have been checking the wind every day that I have had free.... and no joy for weeks and weeks :P

watercooler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #28
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15

I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.
Current models: Hobbico Nexstar Electric, Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX , several micros/small helis. Nothing nitro/gas.
g1975a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
RCC Contributor
I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1
Re: Looking for opinons on your local RC Flying Clubs

Somebody say wind muah hah hah. wind good ,fly much more often.
Happy to see things pull together for you Mike.
Soaring Free Outside The Box

DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #30
I am: Rolo

Re: Looking for opinons on your local RC Flying Clubs

hello there, I live in Cambridge too. I just bought my first rc airplane ( nothing expensive to be honest... ) . Im learning how to fly it by myself . Where are you flying yours? I would like to find " a friend " who can help me out in this process....

Last edited by dlca88; 03-16-2013 at 02:01 PM.
dlca88 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.