Lipo Safety - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19
Re: Lipo Safety

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
We don't really know what happened do we? Could have been life nimh nicd lipo with a short and a gas tank half empty there. In fact I would bet there was a short(pack or other ) and it got through the tank and boom.
Exactly and all kinds of assumptions sorry but true. Been running lipos since they came out. Literally hundreds of packs and crashes to. Knock on wood no fires ever, but I don't buy crap, I closely make as many observations as I can to. Sure in a crash one day its going to happen, but then I do fly where the proper stuff is to take care of that I am not concerned either not a bit.

I hate how lipos get this whole "they're going to explode just sitting there" thing going all the time, simply not true at all. I have read and seen countless threads in various forums about fires to find out some clown had a turnigy 10 dollar charger that he trusted his house to then didnt understand why or people just being jack asses and making bad decisions. I do not think I will see a lipo self ignite or one of these events b4 my hobby is done. And if I did all I can do and did see it well then I still would not be all horrfied by it, I would investigate as much as possible and learn from it, it is not evil......
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery:
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 AM   #22
John M.
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 24

I store my lipos in glass or stainless steel cookware - cheap at the various big box stores.
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

Just because one uses lipos and has had no problems doesn't mean that you won't have a problem in the future.There is many reports out there on lipos catching fire and yes some of them are from improper chargingtherehave been reports of them catching fire spontaneously.Yes things like this could happen possibly with another type of battery.But the facts are in on lipos.There are other batteries out there that are safer to use .For me i don't want to be in transit with my plane in the back of my suv and suddenly have a fire.And have to be concerned about my planes inside my home as well.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1

Last edited by fsone; 03-08-2013 at 06:31 PM.
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.