FBL question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 03-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9
FBL question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've been pestering people with FBL questions but wasn't asking the right one so here it is. With my flybarred heli if it tips a bit it will head off in that direction sometimes due to wind or sometimes I don't stop forward progress well. What I want to know is will a FBL unit stop wind tipping, or if I don't stop forward progress well will the unit level out the heli? Sometimes my 450 will start to heel back even though I have it set to hover well will a FBL unit stop that? There it is thanks to all who reply.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: DeanM

Total Props: 0
Re: FBL question

The simple answer is ...... NO.
Nothing short of a full flight control system will do what your asking.
6cuda6 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

A standard FBL system will not do what you're asking. A few of the higher end systems have an auto level feature though like the skookum sk-720. You can activate it with a switch.
Helicopters: Walkera(10?), Esky(3), Blade(5), Align(7), Miniature Aircraft(2), Hirobo(2), Mikado(2), Century(3), Thunder Tiger(4), Gaui (5).
Trucks/Cars: Tamiya(8 ), Traxxas(6), HPI(1), Losi(2), Ofna(2), Thunder Tiger(2), Hot Bodies(1), Axial (1).
Boats: 4
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jerry Y

Total Props: 0

Let me put it this way. If you're hands off on a FB heli, very soon it would start to tilt and tip over and then crash. For a FBL one, it would start to drift to one direction, faster and faster. It should keep level for a much longer time. ( I can put hands off on my NCPX for 10 secs) but eventually it should also tilt?
acb_ye is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Don I.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18

Total Props: 6

Actually, any regular FBL system will do part of what you are wanting it to do. If you are in a hover and a wind gust hits the heli, which would normally tilt the entire heli one way or another, the FBL controller will "see" that as a non-controller input and react by moving in the opposite direction to counter-act the wind induced tilt. It will not maintain a hover in one spot but will make it a lot easier to do so. When in forward flight, any tipping left or right by gusting winds is also corrected as you fly along leading to a much more level attitude. As you get higher in cost, the features of altitude and position hold will start to appear. No regular system will return a forward flying helicopter to a level state but if you do want that feature, I know the SK720 will do that (it will make a regular rotor helicopter fly like it was a co-axial training helicopter) and so will Helicommand Rigid. Those are two systems that have a training mode for beginning pilots to give them a flight style identical to flying a co-axial heli. It's only money, lol.

Keyrigger is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

Thanks guys that was the answer I was looking for. Don I really don't want to go back to co-axial no challenge there and blowing large chunks of money isn't attractive right now I have to start ramping up for retirement and living within a budget. But just wait in a year or two HK will make a copy of the skookum and sell it for $70.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.