Old 03-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Derrick
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 3
Great hobbies

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Don't know if others are having the same experience with great hobbies, but myself presonally will spend my hobby funds in different establishments from this day on.
I had 2 less than stellar experiences with them in 3 month period that, in my mind is unacceptable for a busness that is supposed to be run on customer service.

First issue.
Placed an order for parts on my saito 91. Informed that one of the parts come from horizon, and that woild make the order one week later than expected. Fair enough. Followed up 3 weeks later, the rodeo begins. Informed that horizon hobbies did not have the parts, and that I would be waiting a bit longer before my order is prosessed.
At this point, i checked horizon website, they seemed to have an abundance of the parts needed.
Left it be, seeing how I would rather support Canadian retailers, and decided to wait.
2 weeks go by, phone to follow up, was informed that the one part ( connecting rod) was backordered due to non availibility ( See above, checked with horizon, they seemed to have lots). At this point, somewhat less than happy, Informed them that their supplier had several in stock, and was checked into 2 weeks back.
No answer, some waffling and was told that parts would be shipped asap, when they recieved the con rod, and that they would pick up shipping.
ONE MONTH later, parts arrived, was charged shipping..... Was rather ticked, but chose to let it be.
Fast forward 3 months ( last week)
Placed an order for some building materials, few replacement parts, and a muffler.
Muffler is made by a Canuck ( Bisson). Was informed that it would be a bit of time due to the muffler being cusrom ordered. Fair enough, That I accept.
Called today to check on the status of order. Was told that everything but the muffler is on hand. Cool i thought. Now comes the kicker.
Muffler has been discontinued......... These are built to order, states that on web site as well!!!!!
I asked when they had planned to notify me of this. I was told that it was given to there techs, and they had come up with the conclusion that there was no replacement for what I needed ( Remember custom built to order) just by chance, I called them 5 MIN ( yup) after they recieved this info back from THEIR techs, so they did not have time to inform me yet.
Needless to say, total order was cancelled, and I politly informed them that I would never order from them again.
Back in the day ( ECMC) the service was incredible. Seemed after the re structure of last year, things went sideways.
From now on, my dollars will be spent with smaller shops who pride themselves on cusromer service and followup, not B.S excuses.

My vent.
tallone66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: David C
Radio of choice:
MC-20 MX-20 X9D+ X12S
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 44
Re: Great hobbies

That's a big reason why if I have to order anything I just do it myself. No point in futzing around with a middle man. I may as well pay a couple dollars more and still be farther ahead than the gas to go to town to get it. Only on occasion are the shipping costs so outrageous that it makes the part mondo expensive. Then I get it from the LHS since they must order in bulk and have accounts with couriers and the like so it's cheaper than if I shiped courier myself. But if it can come USPS/Canada Post, I just do it myself.

I did order a couple things in the last 6 months from GH and it was actually pretty painless. That is not the norm from what I have seen at any LHS. It's always something. I asked for three and whoever was standing behind the counter at the time only input two; or "I don't see any product like that available", and then I go home and have it ordered within minutes; or They check and say "Our supplier is showing lots in stock", then three weeks later, "Oh I';m sorry, that is back-ordered, don't know why the person who took you order said it was in stock".

With the choices of on-line shopping available I just don't deal with the middle-man unless I actually have to.
No Bounce-No Play The one who dies with the most toys wins!
MC-20 MX-20 Taranis X9DPlus HORUS
Friends don't let friends fly Spektrum!
Electric flying is pretty much seeing how close to a dead short you can run without setting it on fire.

davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Daryl M
RCC Noob
I am: Daryl M

Total Props: 2

My experience with their customer service has been the opposite... simply outstanding. I sent them a Thankyou letter (e-mail really) actually I was so impressed. I suspect they are very busy... they took a bit to get back to me, but they were very friendly and professional.
Spending my daughters inheritance one plane at a time.
Daryl M is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Derrick
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 3

If the option to drive to a LHS existed where i live, that would be first option. But it doesn't exist.
I did call back today and spoke with the manager, voiced my displeasure and concerns. He was very good and quite apologetic.
I have been dealing with these folks for 20+ years, and it has only been recently that I have had issues, hence the post of my experience and displeasure.
This post is not meant to sway anyones opinions, or choices on where they shop, just one persons less than pleasant experience on their last few transactions.
I will continue to support Canadian suppliers, regardless, by my own personal choice and reasons. And will most likely, after I get over it, will continue to order from GH, just now I know which questions to ask before orders are placed to avoid frustration.

tallone66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10

I have had similar experiences with GH. Their service is great if they have it in stock, but any glitches (out of stock, back orders, only 2 in stock when I want thee etc) and the whole process goes sideways. If and when I order form them I inform them to ship what is in stock to complete the number of items I want and cancel the rest. Not too many problems when done this way. A chuckle - I was informed a part was on back order but when I got the invoice the part was on it and it came with my order. Must have found one under their desk.
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Patrick G
Radio of choice:
DX8 & DX3C
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 7

I've had both up and down experiences but not just with shipping, going in locally. I find the attitude in store from the owner and a few others the reason i stopped shopping there at all.

On the other hand, John for example at the Mississauga location has made shopping there simple as ever. There are more then a few bad apples in GH to be honest which leave them pretty inconsistant.

Hobbyhobby or Rotorquest i've had the same service since day one from these guys without a single complaint. Tom, Shawn and Eugene have been awesome with me over the years. Greathobbies on the other hand feels like each time i go in or deal with shipping is a 50/50 how it turns out.
My Heli's & Planes
mCX2 | CX2 | 1SQ | MQX | mCPX BL | T-Rex 450SE V1 & V2 | T-Rex 500CF (x2) | T-Rex 600 | Goblin 770 |

My Cars & Trucks
Ken Block WR8 Flux

My Most Wanted
Goblin 500 & 700 | Compass 7HV | T-Rex 550 | Extra 260
b0r3d is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Jeff.S

Total Props: 10

Don't let this experience get to you. I use to order or pick up all my planes and supplies at GH. They are just so big now with the 2-3 new stores it appears they have lost touch with great customer service they once had. With all of the smaller online stores and shops in Canada it is not worth the effort or frustration. I will shop at GH if they have it in stock and I can touch it. If they have to order it. Then I can do that myself. This hobby is to much fun, to let a hobby shop slow you down.

Trout Farm Flyers
BansheeBoy is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FGS
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 24

Great Hobbies here in Ottawa is my LHS. They're about five minutes from home by car. Seldom does a week go by when I haven't visited the store and they're a great bunch of guys and gals.

I've ordered from them before, but always through the store. Sometimes it does take a long time but they've never promised arrival times so I have no complaints. If they don't have it, my go-to guy is Jeff at Thunderbolt RC in Windsor - I've ordered from him many times. Shipping prices are very reasonable and orders arrive within five days.
RC Aviator, gas power proponent
MAAC 83386, Stetson Flyers, Ottawa ON Canada
grosbeak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
Michael in Toronto
RCC Contributor
I am: Michael R

Total Props: 9

I have had several problems over the years when buying/ordering items that are back-ordered or not in stock, from mail order companies and the local hobby store.

Now I only buy items that are in stock, and I have no problems.
Michael in Toronto
E-Flyer since 1981
MAAC 29650L, TEMAC 1
MAAC Deputy Zone Director L
Michael in Toronto is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 18

I agree GH online is a joke. It isnt even close to realtime. I have had three orders that been in-stock at Mississauga or warehouse at order time, and then subsequently been told that there isn't stock.
The bigger joke is there online response time. They don't actually process the orders for days in some cases. I have placed two orders for Mississauga pickup, and not got a automated reply, order confirmation, until i called 3-5 days later!!! Then the stuff isnt in stock because the order processing didn't lock the inventory. We all bitch about hobbyking on here, but when you order there, they at least lock the inventory until payments clear and they can ship.
The last order, i called 3 days after the online order. "We are just getting to your order. Sorry we only have 1 of item 3 in stock now. We sold the other because we didn't process your order in real-time (or even timely)." So i ask to remove the one item, give me what they have, put the other items on a new backorder. Ok done.
A day later GH Mississauga calls, your order is ready. The original order!!! Not the two new order. The cancelled order is ready. The one hand doesn't have a clue what the other is doing.
GH has one of the most flawed, online business models i have experienced. As for the only when "in-stock" guys, doesn't mean a thing, be it the store or the warehouse. Its a dice roll most of the time and a headache too many times.
cravenjw is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.