Things I have learned about helis - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9
Things I have learned about helis

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
First on the list is it seems everytime you go up a size with Align your cost doubles compared to the next smaller size. Keep in mind I don't fly 3D because for me it means Destroy-Depression-Do a rebuild so with that in mind I fly scale or Fast Forward flight all of which are right side up. I've heard the bigger the heli is the easier it is to fly, which is true in most cases because it can be mainly about mass and weight plus other things I haven't mentioned. I have found my boom and pod 450 is harder to fly than my 450 with a scale Hughes fuse I believe it's for three reasons. First the Hughes weighs more so momentum and inertia enter the picture as opposed to the lighter boom and pod. Number two the hughes has extra weight on the flybar paddles which helps to calm it's flight handling, the boom and pod does not and it can be quick to react or change direction due to wind or my dumb thumbs. Last but not least I think the fuse gets in the way of the rotor wash and by doing so makes the reaction slower when I do an input. I'm sure there are a lot more reasons I just can't think of them now or I just plain don't know about them.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Things I have learned about helis

When i first got into electrics, 450 was the biggest I had.

Once I fell in love with the convenince of electrics, I found the 450's too small. I have now gone to an Alighn 550 FBL and its my favourite ship.

All my big nitro's are now gathering dust. Ihave no desire to fly them. The 550 is big enogh and flies better than any of my nitros.

I have no desire for a larger electric for the simple reason that 1) my 550 is big enough (for me) and 2) my 550 flies on 1 5000 6S. Buddy went to a 700 and he flies on 2x5000 6s. I dont see his 700 being that much bigger than my 550, but for every one flight he has, I can get 2 with the same packs. Blowing 2 6S5000's for one flight is just not good efficiency in my books.

So far, the cost to operate my 550 has been just the initial investment of the kit and the batteries (4 batts for this baby will do me for a day of flying, provided I bring my 450 as well)

Its a year old now and to date I never had to repair it. I am really satisfied with its performance and reliability.
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19

I think its important to buy and fly what you feel comfortable with. And to learn all the basics solid. Everything else comes in time. Everyone is in a rush for 3D see it all the time and most often those trying to be crazy have not near solidified their basics.
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery:
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

Don't want to fly 3D myself but I do want to fly and replicate the way a real heli looks in the air. I do risky flights with my boom and pod because they are just better at it and some days I want to get rowdy so FF flight is as 3D as I can get anyway.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.