Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Painting Prop Tips

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Last summer I sliced the bottom of my hand near the wrist. It was to the bone. The prop was an APC 14 X 4 propeller, I use it on my aircraft where the max speed should be around 40 MPH. I was wondering what kind of paint I could use on it and what kinda prep I needed so the paint will stay.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Re: Painting Prop Tips

Cliff, when I have painted my props, I just dipped 'em into the can and hung 'em up to dry, but found it did not really make all that much difference in visibility. I tried both white and red, but no difference. Mind you I was messing with smaller props, turning at higher speed than a 14" would turn, so that may have been a factor.

I found if I was standing back I could see the colour better than if I was up close and in "bite" range.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Raymond O
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

Hi Cliff;

I have painted several props ( falcon , pt model , mejzlik , 22/8 ,23/8 ) with no trouble. This is how I do it ---- mask off the prop leaving the tip , sand the gloss off the tip , then make the tip at least 2 in. long in the color you want . I always use white , red did not show up good for me . With white I then can see the ark of the prop . I use ( KRYLON FUSION from Canadian Tire ) and do very light spray jobs , about 5 or 6 times ( let it the get tacky in between each spray ) Take the tape off befor the paint dries and you get a nice sharp edge . Set aside over night to dry .

For smaller props maybe 1 in. in white would do !!!

Be sure you recheck the balance of your prop then . Hope this helps you

Last edited by 19672008; 03-09-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: check spelling
19672008 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

Are these wood props or are youusing APC nylon props?

Like Raymond, on my large wood props, 27x10 to 32x10 I spray the tips white or safety yellow . It will contrast even more if you paint the rest of the prop black. For this I sand the entire prop first to et the gloss off then I mask the tips and paint the whole prop black first. I use Flat Black but gloss will work to.. Tremclad, Krylon or sometime the H2O water based paint from CT. Aftyer the black is dry I then use a mask to leave just the tips exposed then spray them white or yellow. More lighter coats are better then one or two heavy coats. This prvents the pain running. ALL spray painting should be done this way. First coat you should just see a mist but most of the wood is still vissable.

Clearcoat everything after if you want then use the clear coat to ballance your prop. You DO balance them, right?
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Arn H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Yellow seems to work the best for me .....

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Arn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: David C
Radio of choice:
MC-20 MX-20 X9D+ X12S
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 44

Alternating colors on alternating blades is how we always did our Hawker props, makes them show up pretty good. Looks like a couple blades got swapped here though and lost the alternating pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FirstAir15.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	194473  
No Bounce-No Play The one who dies with the most toys wins!
MC-20 MX-20 Taranis X9DPlus HORUS
Friends don't let friends fly Spektrum!
Electric flying is pretty much seeing how close to a dead short you can run without setting it on fire.

davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

This shows up not too bad. It's from CTC in the automotive touchup paint department. Called Chrome Bumper Paint. Looks more like shiny real aluminim prop. The yellow is that $ store paint. It is acrylic paint so it is tough. The prop is actually a wood 22-8 prop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gord_Cap 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	194490  
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
RCC Noob
I am: will m
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx18
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0

I was glad to see balancing as an integral part of prop painting. APC props - we always dull the edges a bit and while doing that we check the balance after every few swipes of the sanding block. When painting we always paint the base colour as mentioned and then when adding the tip colour start checking the balance again when getting close to being done with the tip colour. And you were right in using the clear to put the final balance on and make it simply perfect! Thanks for the post!
mr150m is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.