Old 03-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Twin Engine Fuel System

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Before my condition deteriorates to where I cannot fly anymore I would like to fly a twin engine aircraft with nitro engines. Has anyone designed a single tank system that works properly?

First the factors: If the right engine quits, on some aircraft are controllable. If the left engine quits both torque and the position of the right engine make the aircraft turn left. The Perry pump bypass system pumps the fuel through a "T" fitting and back to the tank, with the right angle part of the "T" plumbed to the carb. This way the engine thinks that the tank is an inch from the carb. I was going to use the left engine to power the pump and run the same fuel through a "T" fitting at the right engine also and back to the single tank. This way if the left engine quits the right one will also quit. That is the theory. When I can dig my test stand out of the snow bank I am going to set up a pair of engines to see if it works. What do you think?

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)

Last edited by kip51035; 03-09-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added theory
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Hank U.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Total Props: 9
Re: Twin Engine Fuel System

When drawing fuel from more than 8-10" will need a pump, as you probably know. A Perry pump may work, what length of fuel line do you anticipate.
MAAC # 51283
hitechflyer is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

Dual exhaust pressure fittings would also help I think Cliff. Lines as short as possible.
I would give it a try.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 10

Hi Cliff ,, check out the twin otter by hanger 9 ,, and also check out a gizmo called TWIN SYNC it is an electronic controller that sync's your engines to the same rpm and has a fail safe that will take the running engine to an idle if one quits.. the otter is a flat bottom wing and all the info I can gather on it.. it is suppose to be a very forgiving plane and a gentle flyer..basicaly it is a twin engine trainer.. my otter was suppose to be going to the bench next to get assembled but got kicked back by two planes... opppss ... anyway.. I have for my setup as above but I am using the saito 56 engines .. I had checked with the h9 people and they say it will also fly very nice on a pair of saito 40 4 stroke engines.. the twin sync is about 100 bucks and would be less complicated than rigging a fuel system..

the otter is also a very simple construction ,, about the only gluing required is the engine naccels to the wing.. and the rudder hinges.. pretty much everything else is bolt together.. or pre attached in the factory.. the flaps are a really nice thing that it comes with..
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
John M.
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 24

One of the best twins for engine out must be the PBY because with the high mounted wing the nacelles can be much closer to ceterline. Don't personally know yet, just building one.

The Hobbico Twinstar ( is supposed to be a good bet and the price is right! Seems the trick is setting the right / left side thrust angles correctly and getting on the ground at reduced power as soon as you have an engine out.

Clean fuel and setting the mixture for something less than max lean plus not obsessing with synchronization seems to be key. The auto synch previously mentioned looks like a neat plan if your model is an engine out handful.

Good luck in your endeavour Cliff!
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.