newb to aircrafts - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Tom C
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
newb to aircrafts

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Up til now, have always stuck to 4 wheeled RC cars and trucks, and I current have a Traxxas Tmaxx 3.3

When i was young, my uncle took my out to fly his planes, and I remember him saying I had a knack for it, but that was many years ago.

I am looking to get into flying planes myself, and am looking for advice for good "starter to mid" options.

I dont know whether I should risk going used, or buy new....

Appreciate any advice / opinions
Chilli is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: newb to aircrafts

Are you going to learn to fly it "all by yourself" or will you be going to a club that offers flight instruction? (Club instruction is almost always free provided you are a member of that club)

The planes I would recommend would be based on how you plan on starting out.

Also- are you thinking of going electric or glow powered?
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
RCC Noob
I am: Tom C
# of RCs: 1

likely nitro, but im really open minded as far as which way to go. I run nitro in my buggy so figured Id stay the course...but....

Im sure there must be a local club here in North Bay, as I often hear planes in the distance when I golf.

That being said, lets assume there isnt a club... I dont want to wreck good planes to start, but dont necessarily want super cheap either.

Same with remotes... looking for some insight there as to what people like / dislike about certain types and options
Chilli is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Peter
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: i++

Total Props: 1

I'm mostly self-taught on an "AXN Floater-Jet" which I crashed over and over (and over and over and over). Now that I've flown other planes I can say it wasn't a great flyer, but it was cheap and repairable with masking tape and a glue gun. (Past tense because it's been retired to the trash). I probably won't ever get another foamy but it was a perfect plane for what it was. I've flown a Bixler as well, and boy it is soooo easy! It's about as pretty as dead walrus but it flies like butter. It'll balance perfectly with a 3 cell 2200 right up in the nose and even handle inverted flight. It'll loop, roll, and glide, so you can figure out what type of plane your first "real" one will be.

I don't have any non-airborne RC, but look at it like this: If your radio fails when you're driving, you'd have to be extremely unlucky to take some damage to your car/truck. If you're flying and your radio fails, you'd have to be extremely lucky to not take any damage to your plane. The moral is: get as much radio as you can afford.
p1ayaone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
RC Aviator
RCC Apprentice
I am: Steve M

It's cheaper and easier to fix if you crash a foamy as opposed to balsa. I like the ultra micro planes for how easy they are to toss in the car and can be flown almost anywhere. 3ch would be a good starter, but if you can fly aileron, then maybe the Parkzone T-28, which also comes in ultra micro.

A good flight simulator also makes an invaluable tool. I learned both helis and planes. Very cheap to crash.

+1 on the radio. The best computerized one you can afford is a good idea. And think about how many channels you'll want in the long run.
Have a look
RC Aviator is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Larry
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 14

I'm almost certain there's a club in North Bay & you can find it through the MAAC web site ( I returned to the hobby 2 seasons ago (had a few years experience in R/C before moving on to other interests) & did it on my own with a powered glider & Apprentice (foamy trainer) & Real Flight. I have the good fortune of being able to fly behind my house (farm land) & don't disturb the neighbors thanks to electric power & would NEVER consider glow again (the only choice when I flew back then).
BUY a sim, new or used, because it will be far cheaper than destroying planes, & talk to your local club for guidance on a trainer or go it on your own starting with a powered glider like a Radian if you have a decent place to fly.
My guide to R/C photography.

R/C & full scale albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.