Castle Pheonix 100 - Throttle Issues - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jose
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
Castle Pheonix 100 - Throttle Issues

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've installed a Castle Pheonix 100 amp ESC in my Dogfighter with an Ammo 36-56 1800kv motor running with a 4S battery with a 10 x 7 prop, but regardless of which prop I used the motor will run it's fastest when I put my throttle stick to about 50 - 60%, and the rest of the way it doesn't do anything... I even calibrated my throttle range on the ESC by lowering travel points on my DX8, powering up with throttle at half, moving travel point UP until it beeps, then moving travel point DOWN until it beeps again then powers up the motor. Still from 60% to 100% throttle stick movement nothing happens. It worries me because when I went for a maiden it torque rolled bigtime and I almost crashed it, it's tough to hand launch with so much power and unable to give a little less to launch because this setup makes the plane heavy and I have to launch with quite a bit of power.

Has anyone had any experience with these electronics in a Dogfighter or other planes?
uzig718 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Good Grief

Total Props: 0
Re: Castle Pheonix 100 - Throttle Issues

I'd reset the model on your Tx and start fresh. Once you've got the throttle range correct, make a throttle curve. I've always put my throttle gimble at the mid point and then once the battery count beeps are done, lower the throttle to the off position and it will give the final beep sequence.

REMEMBER: Leave the prop off until you confirm that everything is correct with the initialization of the ESC!

Last edited by Good Grief; 04-05-2013 at 09:08 PM.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

Try putting the throttle to full, Then back off the upper throttle endpoint till you hear the motor start to slow down. Go back up till you hear it at full throttle. Leave it there. Now you should have linear throttle for the full stroke. I do the same thing at low throttle where sometimes with a new ESC it may go up to 1/3rd throttle before the motor starts. I change the lower throttle end point till I have the stick about a 1/4 in. off the bottom. No two ESCs are identical. Tie down the plane or have someone hold it while your doing this.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark Betuzzi

Total Props: 6

The best way to setup the throttle is to use the USB link from your computer to the ESC.
Castle has some good information on their website or phone them. Depending on the model of ESC you have, you may need to have a battery to your ESC.

Trumpet is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

I found that sort of thing if the motor was underpropped. Not familiar with that Tx, but these may prove to be a couple of possibilities:

Depending on your settings, you may have a throttle EXPO or curve function activated. Just getting into some of the finer points on my new JR. One of the menus allows me to set either an EXPO function and/or throttle curve/trace rate response to stick position. If active these should not be altered in behavior by end points. For at least ESC setup purposes you should start with the throttle straight across, (linear).

An easy test would be to plug a servo into the throttle channel and a battery pack into another channel to power the Rx. Watch the servo arm as the throttle is advanced. If that response is identical to your throttle behavior then the issue is on the Tx end.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.