Summer Camp Fund Proposal - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Don N

Total Props: 3
Summer Camp Fund Proposal

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
In light of Sharpy's proposal for a promotion fund I would like to put forward and gather input on the following idea.

To aid in encouraging youth interest in the hobby, I suggest creating a fund to for any clubs wishing to hold a summer camp flight school to purchase and maintain equipment.
gothicbunny is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Jon From
Radio of choice:
Airtronics et al
# of RCs: 80+

Total Props: 5
Re: Summer Camp Fund Proposal

WOW, Great idea Don! With or without funding from MAAC, this is still a great idea that should be looked in to by clubs all over the country. There are lots of kids that are interested but have no one to show them how or mentor them. The 'camp' idea seems to work so well for so many other things, why not R/C? Maybe it could be run as a joint offering of the local R/C club and the YMCA/YWCA, local Boys and Girls club, or some other community group with children's programs. Let's face it guys, we ain't gettin' any younger, and neither is the average age of the members in my club. A camp fee of, lets say, $300, should be enough for each kid to go to day camp at the local R/C club for a week, provide each kid with a Hobbyzone Super Cub and teach them how to fly it, maybe build a MAAC Dart, tour the local airport, maybe get in on EAA Young Eagles flights, and learn to enjoy the hobby of a lifetime.
Having the younger generation at the field doesn't mean babysitting them but rather the opportunity to teach/inspire them.
What does everyone think? Come on guys, chime in hear.
rcav8r71 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
RCC Contributor

That super cub would be an excellent starter plane but I was thinking more where the club keeps the equipment to use every year unless a family wants to buy their own. There are already many expensive day camps for kids, I would hope it would be something that could be kept to a minimum.

Since bigger planes would be weather dependent, perhaps indoor flight sessions at a gym might be more appropriate, and with a small slow indoor flyer to start them off. Like a Mini Vapor RTF. Second and third year attendees could then look to advance to something bigger or more advanced.

Actually it could even be progressing levels throughout the same summer too

Seeing as I'm a heli guy, we would probably have a different progression, but the concept could be the same.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19

This was almost the same proposal that I discussed with a couple MAAC execs a month ago, but not necessarily a camp, and using the interest, or direct funds from the Jack McGillvary donation, as they were deciding what to do with it..good idea as a camp tho. I was thinking of a central Canada contest that restricted the "competition" rather than a camp to a certain age be determined by the exec it was in the 50s/60s.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26

Last edited by ronnieo; 04-06-2013 at 06:25 AM.
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
grumpy bear
RCC Noob
I am: Wes Brown

Total Props: 0

I think it's a great idea. Even if you retain 10% you are growing intrest in the hobby.
So here are somethings to consider:
The program should be National in scope.
The facility, host club, must meet a standard to be detarmined (washroom, clubhouse, etc)
All staff must have a police check.
One or more staff must have current first aid and be on site at all times the camp is running
Instuctors / Mentor's would need to be chosen carefully (someone with youth club experiance)
Perhaps a 50-50 or 60-40 split on the cost of operation, host club and MAAC.
Cost to to the camper kept to a minimal charge, say $100 for a 5 day camp with an optional 6th day as a fun fly for campers and thier families.
The key to success will be how well each camp is run then word of mouth should fill the camps each year along with promotion in our magazine and on line.
Just some food for thought. Wes. Zone L #85805
grumpy bear is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
RCC Apprentice
I am: George Kaschuba
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

Really good idea, i would send my 12 yr old for a camp like that !!!
towminator is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Marc S

Total Props: 39

A few things to consider:

- The Zone promotion fund that already exists could assist in a "pilot" project of such an idea.

- Sounds like an ideal PR program to score manufacturer / distributor sponsorship

- Piggybacking on already existing programs may be a more realistic approach to test the waters. Air Cadets jumps to mind real quick

- Big problem will be retention of those who run the program as it doesn't take long to burn out those who help because even day camps can be a challenge to maintain year to year as it's always the same few that step up.

- A "National program" is a nice notion, but totally unrealistic as it's one thing for board members to review a submission request for funds, but creating and managing a national recurring youth camp program with our political structure and a non-guaranteed financial position .................. is beyond the capability.

- Anyone involved in youth programs and associated checks and oversight will attest to the hurdles of a local program where "strangers work with youth", let alone something on a national scale. I know if I'm on the board, I want no part of such a management structure. Unfortunately, one must put the reality glasses on when working with youth groups, extended responsibility of programs involving overnight care etc. That type of situation has the potential to attract those who may not have the kids best interests at heart.............. sorry, but you must do a reality check on this potential as predators don't wear signs and a police check is no guarantee. A "bad" incident could take the association down, which is another good reason to piggy-back on existing organizations.

. finally, an idea like this would certainly be eligible under the proposal for a MAAC Promotional Fund.

Last edited by Sharpy01; 04-06-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
RCC Contributor

I do like Jon's suggestion of doing it in conjunction with YMCA. They could provide camp counselors in charge of getting the kids to/from the flying site or classroom and providing the supervision. The club would then only need to worry about providing equipment and instructor. This probably wouldn't be much different than clubs that have a regular training day for beginners.

Air Cadets do have instructional material available for ground school training of flight theory, meteorology, etc as I have taken them myself as a youth. As a DND provided document, this material is likely open for requests from the public.

Air cadet camps themselves are very strictly managed at a handful of locations in Canada. However, by contacting a local cadet squadron, they may be able to help provide materials and teachers.

It sounds like there seems to be support for this and that a pilot program would be a good idea. However, is there anyone willing to be involved doing a test run of such an endeavor?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10

Another item to consider - it would be another cost if the campers had to buy their MAAC membership.. Would it be possible for an accredited camp to get a blanket MAAC membership and insurance for the camp attendees? There is also the liability concerns of running a "camp" as applies to all sorts of camps for youngsters. I am not trying to put a damper on the idea - just being careful/
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
RCC Contributor

The new insurance covers those in training at an approved site under the guidance of an instructor without being a MAAC member. Also, junior membership without magazine is only $10.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.