Avro Arrow foamie EDF Conversion - Page 7 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #61
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10
Re: Avro Arrow foamie EDF Conversion

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit View Post
John, have you ever considered doing a twin 70 or 90 arrow?
Mitch
A large 90mm would be my preference. Having built some twins, I would rather only have to set up and balance one fan. Keeps cost down too.
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #62
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7

Lloyd, the twin 50 mm kit is going for $250.00, that include the two EDF units and Fiberglass cloth. The 64 mm as a twin will be some what more if you want the EDF's included as they are more expensive. For example, I sold the 50's for $40.00 each, the 64's for $105.00 each so it would be less expensive if you provided your own favorite EDF's. However, since the kit is being revised there will be some additional parts so the final cost for the kit and Fiberglass cloth will be around $175 to under $200.

Since I already had marketed a single 90 mm Edf version, all composite including the EDF, I will not redo this. Also a twin 90 mm would require a totally new plane, too much work. I hope by redesigning the hot wire templates I can increase the interior space for twin 60, 64 and 70 mm EDF installation, your choice.

Also, I'm going to hot wire the more scale wings and vertical tail, right now they are flat sided and require sanding to shape them. Also, if you mount the main gear retract unit further back from the leading edge, I think there might be enough foam thickness for retracts.

But, this is the final version so if you one, better get in the line as I'm only doing this for this season.

Last edited by Dutkoski; 03-03-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #63
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Eric, also, I have in the works a fairly large version, 1/8th scale.it will be designed as a turbine powered model being that big. But due to limited sales, the wings and vertical tail will be foam cores and not composite in design.

Now, foam core wings do have the advantage of being traditional lighter once built and for those who have landing mishaps, are easier to repair 😊

I want to reveal this project this coming July at the Jets Over Iroquois. The plug for the fuse is built, I'm at the stage of doing the details on it. I don't know if I'm going to put all the panel lines on it though, but I might, that's a lot of work for maybe a few planes. I most likely will do just the main hatches like the weapons bay, air brakes, canopy and nose gear doors. The rest can be penciled in during finishing old school way.

Anyway, Eric, here's your chance to do a twin 120 mm model that is actually very scale. Long story short, the plans were drawn from originals that were provided by none other than Jim Floyd himself way back in the 1990's.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #64
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10

Twin 120's! Too big for us I think. Most of our 90mm jets fit nicely completely assembled in our minivan and it is nice to not have to connect all the wires every time we go flying.
I do have a pair of 6s 90mm fans that are not spoken for...
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #65
cosmith
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 13

I can't believe I didn't notice this thread before now...John, your work is incredible. The Arrow will always have a special place in my heart. This might just have to be my first EDF.

What kind of work is involved as far as building the airframe on the 50mm twin kit you sell for $250? Do you have the manual in an electronic format that we could read by any chance?

I have to say again, your work is awesome...I'm really glad to see another person keeping the memory of this aircraft alive!
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #66
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Hi Cory,
Sorry, yes I do have it on my computer, yes I coukd email it to you, unfortunately, my computer is at home and I am in Southern California so I cannot send it to you. I'll be home near the end of this month though.

Most of the models build is on this thread and the thread regarding the pusher prop version from which this was a conversion.

I have the maiden flight posted on YouTube though, just put "Avro Arrow Foamie Edf " in the search window. The model was still in Dow Corning pink at the time, but was painted very shortly afterwards 😊
Old 03-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #67
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Twin 120's too big for you Eric, �� I would even lay up a special fuse for you to keep the weight down. There is a foam company in Quebec that make a very light beaded insulation, used to be able to get it at Home Depot in 2' x 8 ' sheets up to 2" thick, I would estimate it was 2/3 the wieght of white beaded foam. I would use that foam to hot wire the wings even. Plus, with the several 120 EDF units on the market, you'd have options.

Certainly you are up to a good challenge, hmmm ��

Of course, the costs would be impressive too.

Last edited by Dutkoski; 09-13-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #68
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Last weekend I had my first, in a long time, mishap with the Arrow, under powered bungee cord failed to get the model launched, slid along and yep, it smacked into the bungee cord stake. Caused damage to the nose section, a long rip and tear in the bottom of the fuse. So, today it's getting all fixed up, plus, might as well fix some other dings as well.

When done, should look as good as new ...... Well, at 50 feet, going 50 mph .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	1051345  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 09-13-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #69
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Nose section damage. I think I'll toughen the nose cone area up with a layer of 1.5 oz fiberglass cloth and epoxy. I did this on the Mig-25 because of it's long slender shape, it turned out better than I had figured it would.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	505.8 KB
ID:	1051353  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 09-13-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #70
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Having a really hard time trying to find a strong bungee cord to replace the old one that is just worn out. So, today, I'm going to design and install a set of simple fixed landing gear. Using light wieght wheels, 1/8" piano wire, some pieces of 1/8" plywood and a small servo for steerage. Might even have it ready for testing late this afternoon. 😎

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.