Are Nitro Heli's now obsolete ? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro - Gas Helicopters Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for gas-nitro helicopters.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
RCC Apprentice
I am: Criss

Total Props: 1
Re: Are Nitro Heli's now obsolete ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by HAL9KPCM View Post
LOL, me thinks you're glorifying electric just a tad? Lets see if we can even out the list a bit All in good fun of course
lol no kidding. He's obviously never had a esc or motor go up in flames for no reason and lose the entire heli
TT titan x50, TT mini titan, JR Vigor.. ..vbar'd, 700 airwolf w/stretched JR Voyager mechanics, JR Venture CP, Blade 300X <--impulse buy
Elgyn is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
RCC Contributor
I am: Stephane L
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11

Nitro is dead, electric is king! Everyone needs to convert as soon as possible. It is a burden and time consuming, but I am willing to properly dispose of your old nitro heli equipment to save you the trouble of having to do it yourself. Just send it to me, I'll even pay the shipping.
Fuzzydog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
Dennis Pedersen
RCC Contributor
I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
JR / V Control

Total Props: 6

Are Nitro Heli's now obsolete ?

If they are not please let me know who is buying them as I brought one nitro heli in last year and it is still on my shelf,if you don't think they are slowing going the way of the Dino just try and sell new ones?
As for plug in and charge 6 times most that fly electrics lot's parallel charge 6 packs at once so yes you have to plug in all six packs but only charge once.
I flew nitro for years (started in 1977) and helis around 1995 but I can say since I have started flying electric there is not much pull to fly nitro again.I am not saying one is better than the other , the great thing about this hobby is we all can choose what we like and go out and have a great time at the field together. I was anti electric until I finally gave it a try. Take care
Synergy 766
Thunder Tiger E700 / Rush 750
Skookum / JR / Savox/Scorpion
Western Robotics/ Spartan

Last edited by Dennis Pedersen; 04-18-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Dennis Pedersen is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

No, it really was that way. I remember how frustrated I was on the first day of the season trying to get my nitro heli's going. All that Futzing and fiddling. At that time I was flying small 450 electrics. That day was an epiphany for me. And hey, I was a "Die Hard" nitro flyer, and until a few years ago poo-poo'd the very idea of electric planes or heli's. But the more I flew electric, the more I liked it. I started with small heli's, then small planes, then larger heli's and this year I moved up to large planes. Honestly, I dont miss the nitro's at all!

But back your modified list, some more comments, if I may:
Parallel charging 6 lipos on a parallel charge board is a lot easier than charging a Nicad battery for the glow starter, Lead acid battery for the 12V starter and NiMh battery for the heli. That's how my nitros are set up. I suppose I could upgrade my power system on my nitros and starters, etc, but why spend money on a dead horse?

I bring 6 batteries to the field for my 550 and after 6 flights I have had enough. (Plus I have other planes and helis to fly, so I can make a whole day of it and not worry about charging). Since I dont worry about charging at the field, I dont need to bring a charger if I only plan to fly out all my batteries. But be honest, if you did fly your nitro, how many flights before you have to swap the battery or charge it? My nitro's wouldn't go 6 before I had to field charge, that's for sure.

Plus on my list I dont include common denominators.

you know what I dont miss at all? the "residual" goo that always ends up being on your plane or heli even after weeks in the basement, even after 2 or 3 wipes with Windex and towels, it still feels goey/slimy here and there. Oil drips in the car or on the burber carpet in the basement that mysteriously show up even though you put paper towel in the exhaust and/or around the motor.

I still have quite a few nitro planes/helis in my collection but I am not as enthused about flying them as I am for the modern electrics.

Look, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just reciting my personal experience as a guy that used to hate electrics. I flew (or tried to fly) electrics in the 90's and I was VERY disappointed with cost and performance. I used to think that electrics would never equal the low cost and efficiency of nitro. My my how things have changed!
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV

Last edited by Max; 04-18-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #25
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Richard L
Radio of choice:
Mikado V Control
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 9

At my stage of flying , I do love the nitro for the longer flight times...cause just as your getting comfortable with a practice session on a specific manuever... with Lipo you would have to set it down and replace the pack...with nitro I just like that extra 2-3 min extra ...

Also I believe that nitro teaches better collective management, as it gives you very clear feedback when you are not managing your collective properly.. you can hear it and feel it more... just my opinion... but with more modern changes and a little more time we can see longer flight times with more efficient power sources, motors and ESC's...

All the input is excellent folks! Kinda gives a nice perspective from different viewpoints !
and Good Health
Gizmodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #26
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

Which ever you like. I have a new 600 e and a new .50 nitro , flew them both, both fly awesome. The electric is cheaper to fly , the power is almost identical. The cleanup is minimal, try some nitro cleaner it works great. I grab a nitro and an electric to go out and fly. We went out last weekend I logged 129 minutes of flight time and at the end of the day I was still flippin my .50 nitro and all my batteries were done on the two electrics I brought. Jeff not to argue but i'll gladly take you up on that challenge of my nitro vs your HV 600 , most pilots don't have the skill to fly a heli to the full potential so there's plenty of power on tap for them. I love the clean simple plug and go but please don't say it flys better. To me charging all 11 batteries for my 2 electrics is more of a pain then pluggin in my heli over night. Buy both and be happy I did. Heli's are expensive if you can buy one you can afford to run one.
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #27
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

Was just teasin ya Max. Everyone has a preference, Coke/Pepsi, Chev/Ford, etc.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights will make an airplane.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #28
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Keith Z
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 20

My thoughts are that the guys that still own the nitro heli's still love to fly them!

For myself personally living in an apartment and no where to store a nitro heli i dont see it as the best idea!

But someday i will own a house and a garage and you guessed it!! I will adopt a nice 700 size nitro birdie with an OS 105 in it!!

Ahhhhh things to look forward to!

Cheers Keith
Team RCA Pilot, Team OMG RC USA Assistant Manager.
heli-insane is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Richard L
Radio of choice:
Mikado V Control
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 9

Yeah Keith i hear ya... just traded my Synergy N5 for a 700FBL electric.. and since its the same mfg as the 700N FBL most of the parts are interchangeable... so from a parts point of view its a Win>Win situation... Fly my nitro while I wait for my lipos to charge and then I could pretty much make a day of it... the only batt to charge on the nitro is my RXLipo...and since I have two.. i would always have one ready to go... so what I am saying is you can find a nice balance between nitro and electric if you have both and enjoy them and appreciate the differences between the two...

So I do hope that Nitro sticks around , it would be nice if we had a nitro fuel mfg in Canada, but the market prob would not support it, where there are a heck of alot more Heli/nitro guys in the USA... as that would help to possibly reduce the cost of it... hey as time moves forward who knows what breaking technology the electric's will produce... I am thinking the way its going is more efficient motors and advanced ESC's... and as long as lipo technology keeps getting better we may one day see 10-12 min flight times on a electric heli with moderate 3D and typical 4-5 with hard 3D....

This forum is great because its cool to see everyone's perspective, not saying one or the other is right or wrong...but it does give you a feel for what will eventually drive this hobby is US and our impressions of it... and what we will be willing to buy as it appears on the heli marketplace .....

As long as there is a demand enough for nitro birds they will be there... when and if that demands drops to a significant level... then we may see the nitro extinction... but hopefully not too soon .....
and Good Health
Gizmodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #30
RCC Contributor
I am: Pat B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 6

Are Nitro Heli's now obsolete ?
MAAC #83261
Sparkfarmer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.