whats the main causes for Maiden crash's - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30
Re: whats the main causes for Maiden crash's

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I generally will not do a maiden flight when I have up till 3:30 in the morning getting those last few details finished! LOL When I'm doing the final setup (installing servos and linkages, batteries and receiver etc. I take my time and think about each installation as if I was going to be sitting in the plane for that first hop

After the installation is done my biggest concerns are #1 Balance and #2 Keeping the motor running! I'm not too concerned with how much it weighs as long as it is balanced and the motor is running!!

My last tip is to get the help of a buddy who can reach in and adjust whatever trims you need. I keep my eyes on the plane and focus on flying while telling my friend if I need up or down trim etc.
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at www.jramericas.com
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #12
Michael Hyatt
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Michael H

Total Props: 6

Is it still considered a maiden when it's the fifth or tenth time you tried to fly it for the first time. Roflol
Yes, I've had the ailerons and elevons backwards, even had them fail completely by plugging in the y servo connector backwards and had to fly with nothing but a rudder, elevator and throttle.
I've had the battery too far forward as well as too far back of the center of gravity.
I've forgotten to put the screws in for the servo arms more times than I care to think about.
Most of my planes are scratch built and hand launch which creates a whole new set of problems.
With tractor configurations, because of prop torque, the thrust line should be a few degrees down and to the right.
With pusher configurations, your thrust line must be exactly on line, even a half degree off (up, down, left, or right) and you can be looking at disastrous consequences.

As Dale Hunter said, have someone else do a preflight check as well as yourself, that may create a maiden rather than a crash.
As Trumpetman says, have somebody there to help adjust the trims if necessary because if they are out far enough, all your concentration and hand movement will be occupied just keeping it in the air.
MAAC # 81375 30 Planes and 2 Belt CP Helicopters a WK 4G6 FBL, v120Do2s FBL a Nine Eagles Solo Pro, a quad mini-pet, a quad WK Ladybird, and a quad WLT 959.

F@H (Folding @ Home) Folding Proteins Today for Tomorrows Cures.
Michael Hyatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 18

Just remembered my worst maiden. Nice 3d machine. Lots of throw. Setup the servos, all good. Did preflight, yep everything good. Took off, wow, was it every twitchy!!! Oh ----, forgot low rates and expo!!! it was a windy gusty day, it was a handful in the air, landing was a was a nightmare.
Now, I don't start with a clear model slot. I copied my most typical setup, to all the slots, with a dummy name. Now when I start a setup, 90% of the setup is done. Really only have to do reverse, subtrim, travel. I don't touch the dr/expo, til I fly it. And all my flight modes and normal mixes (sw activated) are ready to adjust in the following flights.
Almost did it again on most recent maiden, but now my everyday preflight , is not just do the servos mov and dir, it also includes all rates, modes, and switchable mixes.
cravenjw is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

I like to have someone look over my plane or at least spend the 20 mins looking over and over the plane while the bateries are charging. I don't charge at home I do it at the field for this reason gives me more time to calm down. The pilot maiden will be a little worse, never flown a plane worth this much before on a maiden. Dan has harrased me for a while on how long its taking to get ready but I have no reason to rush. I know he's just ribbing lol. But I am a slow and think things through.
"Trout Farm Flyers"

North Star Laser And Vinyl Works
MAAC # 83720

bhughes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26

Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker View Post
hehe. for me, the main cause of maiden disaster is .. spectators! Do it alone, no pressure.
...after having club instructors check out your plane.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Sounds like a check list is in order. I know I could use one. I have done that wrong way aileron thing at least once or twice. I made three quarters of the circuit the last time, if I had landed cross wind on the north south runway I could have made it. I screwed up on my turn to final and back to kit form it went. I think I might start using a build check list too.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jean Pierre
Radio of choice:
JR 7202
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 3

Hello, in my case I had a couple bad experience with planes having too much throw. Follow the manuals recomendations for surface throw. Be sure you are experienced enough to have the best reaction possible when the plane takes off. I had a plane once that had almost no aileron effect so I had to go with rudder and elevator only to bring it back safely on the ground. An other trick is bring it as high and as fast as possible before anything, that gives reaction time in case of a dead stick and time to trim the surfaces. One more thing, if you have to trim the surfaces, NEVER NEVER stop looking at your plane, dont look at the transmiter, it takes only 1 second for a crash.
I have four maidens to do this spring so I'll apply my advices and hope it goes well.
Good luck
Flyinbullmax is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: robert j

Total Props: 0

something i always do to this day stand behind airplane sticks all to the right lower corner. right aileron should be up elevators up rudder to the right. give the control surfaces a tug by hand twist horizontal stab by hand give a tug side ways. same with vertical fin and wing. any cracking noises. this always worked for me checking student planes
volksman is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: chris
Radio of choice:
spectrum Dx8 with telemetry
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 1

I'll be taking my 40cc edge to the fish farm this week to do another maiden after the wing repair is done. I'll be bringing my checklist with me and hopefully someone is thier to check her over before she goes up.

The recommended low rate throws are:
Ailerons- 3/8" up/down
Elevator - 5/8" up/down
Rudder - 7/8" left/right

Does this not sound stupid low?

I know one of the points was to follow the manuals recommended throws, but maybe I'll set up a high/low rate according to manual an a 2" throw rate just to be sure.
Fly them, Crash them, Rebuild them....
MAAC # 87021
CLEGGER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
JR 28x
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 40

I have found and if you read these posts, Maidens fail for 3 reasons

-Incorrect Setup (Throws, Balance, etc)
-Mechanical Failure (Parts breaking etc)
-Nerves (Pilot Error)

When you are new to the hobby all three can happen easily if you go it alone.

To prevent #1 - Set throws to the manual or what you feel is comfortable but have options. Set 3 rates even if you will never use them after. I cannot stress this enough, how many times do you hear aww it was good until i ran out of elevator or my ailerons are twitcy. use the same switch every time low med and high that way you can adjust quickly. I still do this even if it is a rebuild you never know. This by far is the eaiest to prevent.

Setp problems also can be prevented by checking balances to manual have people check the plane and dont rush.

#2 is also easily prevented IMO. To many take off on a maiden and go into 3d mode. Take it easy fly a few circuits and land then check everything look for stress areas etc. Take your time it will help.

#3 is up to you. Have someone test fly it for you. This is something I have been luckily able to help lots of people with. Last year most of the maidens at our club were done by other people, it is common where we fly but may not be elsewhere. If you are just learing why not have someone do it for you. Increase your odds. If a failure happens or its twichy (forgot #1 and #2) they will have better odds.

TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON'T RUSH. To many crashes are becasue people hing they know how to build and fly and dont need help.

note: if you watch my 42% decathlon build I almost flew with ailerons reversed (plugged in backwards). Thankfully I and my assitants noticed. I always wiggle the surfaces before takeoff as a final check now....
Kevin King MAAC - 76804
JR Americas - Team Pilot AMR-RC - Designer/ Team Pilot
-----Youtube Channel-----www.j3kphoto.com
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.