NOOB Review - 5 vehicles First Impressions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: John H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
NOOB Review - 5 vehicles First Impressions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All,
I am new to this forum, and new to the hobby. I jumped in with both feet, but possibly into the wrong pool!
While I lack the experience to do a comprehensive review, I thought it might be helpful to post my first impressions for others to hopefully not make my mistakes.
I started off purchasing an Iron Track Mastadon 1/18. I received the vehicle and was hooked! It ran great, fast, durable, fun! My son was running it up a 12ft tube slide, and jumping off the 6ft play structure with not a scratch. So I ordered some more! In the meantime, the RX failed in the Mastadon, waiting for a new unit being sent FOC. Advice to anyone considering this vehicle...firstly, I have not found any local supply for parts...secondly, the RX is part of the ESC and Servo, so, you can't replace just the RX.
Iron Track Centro, and Exceed Mini Mad Beast just arrived today. I was surprised that the Exceed, although a 1/18 appeared quite a bit smaller than the Iron Track vehicles of the same scale.
They both had a lot of spunk. The Centro performed just like the Mastadon...very impressed with it. Just in the backyard, handled low cut grass and bumpy yard no problem, tore up the playground mulch nicely!
The Mini Mad Beast struggled a little bit more on the grass, but still did okay. Once the lawn starts to grow, who knows how it will hold up. It doesn't seem to have quite the power of the Centro or Mastadon...had difficulty climbing the slide, but made it up a couple of times (it's a spiral plastic slide)
Also, while waiting for the Centro and MMB, and not being able to run the Mastadon...I went out and bought a Redcat Volcano EPX. This was a mistake IMHO. First time running it, it went pretty fast...about the same as the Iron Track(s), but when I got on short slowed right down. Supposedly this is well known, at least the guys at Zoom Room in NM seemed to! Bumped into a tree, not going to fast...and broke the front bumper and front left C bracket. Less than 5 minutes drive time. I will be getting this running, and putting it on Kijiji...can't afford to break it everytime I hit a twig!
Also, bought a Tamiya Bush Devil, which on first run, looks great. Plenty of power, but haven't given it a proper run yet.
Hope some find this useful. I will update as I get more time on them.
sandymctyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.