Pitbull Rockbeast II Tire review. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Crawling Discussion A place to exchange ideas and post information on crawling

Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
I am: R.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX3.0
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 62
Pitbull Rockbeast II Tire review.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Recently I got a set of Pitbull Rockbeast Tires (no foam). These are 2.2 scalers

For a couple reasons I was fortunate to get a set, mostly because my rig wasn't performing half as well as my sons HPI Crawler King Jeep.

Here is a shot from the brazing project I was working on with my Axial Scorpion / The Proline Hammers. While they no only left too much wheel to fender gap, they just didn't work!

Now, these Pitbull Rock Beasts II came in around Dec 2012 and I have had tons of time to test them out in different conditions. And while my crawling has been fairly limited with the forum upgrades this month, I am finally ready to give my thoughts on these tires and to compare them to what I was running before. Take into consideration this is one of the rare times I have done a review

So, I was running Axial stock Proline Hammers.

The hammers were ok providing the terrain was dry. I found them to be all but useless in snow and mudd. Entry level wise, they are a fail. Comparing them to the HPI King Crawler tires is well, no comparison. The HPI walked around the Axial Scorpion.
The beadlocks however are a nice touch.

It was time to get the Hammers off the rims and the Pitbull Rock Beast IIs on. Right away size difference is noticeable, substantially noticeable. The Rock Beasts are also far more pliable, good for catching edges & gripping and conforming to the rocks. Because of my experience with the Hammers and the RC4WDs I decided to go foam less hoping to get an edge in the snow.

The clearance, wow, nice. But be warned. With clearance can come binding!

Proline Hammer vs Pitbull Rockbeast II. Seriously, what do you want? I mean, without even trail testing at this stage I was excited to know that my diff shouldn't be getting hung up

This photo is a bit pitiful for the Prolines. I mean, the RockBeast IIs and the RC4WDs pack a whole lot more grip. Mind you, the RC4WDs weren't nearly as good either.

Side profile between he 3 tires. Again, one major thing is how pliable the Pitbulls were. I was happy for the soft sidewall and no foam. Previously I was unable to navigate in snow at all with the Proline Hammers or RC4wds.

Of course, the tires came with some stickers!

So, my rig ran the Proline Hammers for some time, maybe a month. I mean, being left behind was awful and for an Axial i felt ashamed to see the HPI which was far cheaper educate me on how to trail run. I had upgraded to the RC4wds via RCCanada classifieds.

RC 4WD - Found a set with rims & pin drive. And while the rim and tire combo looked good, it just didn't work in snow or mud either. They would also bind.

The Rock Beasts II currently sit on my rig. Binding is an issue even with the body lift. This is something to consider. I ended up trimming the body to not have that crunching sound every 5 seconds. But for the performance increase, its worth it.

Final Thoughts?
I would certainly recommend these tires to people. They work well, foamless. I am not even weighting my Axial rims, just foamless and tires. They work well in snow, mud and in the dry.
They are by far one of the best options on the market for traction and clearance.

You can see them here in action in Oakville Ontario. **note, its windy, volume down**
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rockbeast-ii-pitbulltires-000.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	201346   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockbeast-ii-pitbulltires-001.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	201347   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockbeast-ii-pitbulltires-002.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	201348   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockbeast-ii-pitbulltires-003.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	201349  

Name:	rockbeast-ii-pitbulltires-004.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	201350   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockbeast-ii-pitbulltires-005.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	201351   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockbeast-ii-pitbulltires-006.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	201352   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockbeast-ii-pitbulltires-007.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	201353  

Name:	rockbeast-ii-pitbulltires-008.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	201354  
RCRick is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
RCC Noob
I am: Kevin

Total Props: 1
Re: Pitbull Rockbeast II Tire review.

Nice review, looks like a nice place to play in the mud.
k1e1v1i1n is offline   Quick reply to this message.

crawling , offroad , pitbull , proline , rockbeast , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.