Top Flite P-39, Gold Edition - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:28 AM   #51
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Re: Top Flite P-39, Gold Edition

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Replacement of the warped sheeting of the Horizontal Stab went well, but it's a good thing it was warped. The stab had already been built when I bought the kit, and looked good at the time, so went with it. When I removed the top sheeting, discovered that the builder had drilled for robart hinges, but there wasn't sufficient reinforcement of the trailing edge of the Stab. This resulted in a very weak point. Had there been any flutter/vibration etc., the stab would likely have snapped at the hinge point. Checked the other Stab half, and careful pressing of the 1/16th sheeting revealed good reinforcement on that side. Simple little error, that could have been catastrophic. With that sheeted and sanded, I've finished the tail fillet, sheeted the rest of the nose, up to the gear doors, and with a bit more sanding inside of the cowl, the fuse will be ready for glass. Pics later today!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #52
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

So, the P-39's tali feathers were built when I got the kit. I had a complete set of parts for the tail feathers, but chose to go with what was done, as the hinge lines were scale, as was the rudder/vertical stab lines. Only issue is, when I opened up the Horizontal Stab, to replace warped sheeting, I found a much weakened aft spar. It absolutely would have failed. Elevators were the same, way too much structure removed. Not sure if the builder missed the stab, and was going to reinforce the elevators or not, but I certainly had to. That's the golden rule, if you buy something built, or partially built, or even a lot of the ARFs of late, check everything over very, very carefully before you fly it! First shot is what was previously done, second shot with the reinforcing that I did.
Also shots of the rudder, all covered in Solartex, and latest work on the fuse, including cutting in for the engine exhausts, for a more realistic look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	868322   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	868330   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	868338   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	868346  

Name:	m_IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	868354  
Old 03-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #53
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

If you're really nuts, and have some experience, you can indeed glass a compund curved fuselage with one piece of glass cloth! It's a lot easier than doing the same with monokote, years ago I did a Top Flite Corsair fuselage, with one piece, just a single seam straight down the belly. That took about 9 hours, the glassing tonight probably a bit over an hour.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	868378   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	868386   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	868394  
Old 03-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #54
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I'm hopping back and forth between the wing and the fuselage. Got one coat of primer on the top half of the wing, and later I'll flip, sand some more, and then a coat of primer on the undersides. On the fuselage, I've done a fair bit of sanding and filling, one wing fillet is done, and one of the engine exhausts installed. On the tail feathers, I completed the glassing of the entire tail section! Things are moving along nicely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	871042   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	871050   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0004.JPG
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	871058  
Old 03-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #55
flyerp39
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Daniel S

Total Props: 1

Very nice work Dave and now that you are in the primer stage now is the best time to add your panel lines you just mark out you panel patterns and then tape them off with 1/32 or 1/8 fine line automotive body shop tape and then do 2 more lite coats of primer and then remove the tape and a lite scuff sand before color painting it works beautifully . I did the same to my 1/5.6 Sea fury and it worked out perfect .
Daniel.
flyerp39 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:31 AM   #56
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I've being doing that for years now!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:58 AM   #57
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I actually use chart tape, as thin as 1/64th. In trying to keep things scale, one hast to remember that from 50 feet away, it's nearly impossible to see more than obvious details, hatches, etc on an aircraft. The P-39 is 1/7th scale, so if I were to use, for example, 1/8th chart tape, my panel "gap" would be 7/8" on the real deal! While sometimes hard to find, one of our local Hobby Shops, Maritime Hobbies, received a huge assortment of it, so I bought up as much of the 1/64"and 1"/32" that I could get my hands on. 1/5th scale, I'll go up to 1/16" tape.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #58
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

This evening, working a bit around the cockpit area. The P-39, like many warbirds of it's time, located the rather large, clunky radio behind the pilot. It also had an armoured frame, open in the center, but with bullet proof glass. Once I got the air intake built and glued in place, I went to work on the framework behind the pilot's seat. I used 18th balsa, cut and sanded to shape, supported by another 1/8th balsa cross piece. Once I was happy with the shape, the outside was covered with 1/32 ply, then the front and back portions, followed by the inside. Next was the clunky radio, that was simply a balsa 1/4 in top and bottom piece, covered all around with more 1/32 ply, and capped with ply as well. Lots of little details to add, but at least it's starting to look like a kitted out aircraft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m_IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	871482   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0006.JPG
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	871490   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0007.JPG
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	871498   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	871506  

Name:	m_IMG_0009.JPG
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	871514  
Old 03-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #59
Wayne_K
RCC Contributor

I am: Wayne K

Total Props: 2

Looks great, it's really starting to take shape.

W
Old 03-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #60
mwavesdave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Tons of detail potential. When you look at what the plastic model guys are doing, really puts us to shame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.