What does discharge and balance mean - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 05-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: josh
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
What does discharge and balance mean

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I might be getting lipos
But it's a lot of work what is discharge and balance ? Do I need to use it ? Thanks
xl.5 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: David C
Radio of choice:
MC-20 MX-20 X9D+ X12S
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 44
Re: What does discharge and balance mean

Balance means that your charger brings all the cells to the same voltage. If you just charge the pack to a set total voltage you could have some cells higher and some cells lower. Balance helps you get the best performance and extends the life of the battery by preventing any one cell from going over-voltage. You definitely need to use balance since you could ruin a battery very shortly by having one cell go too high.

You may need to discharge a battery if you get done flying and it is still higher than storage charge (about 3.85 volts per cell). You should never store a LiPo at full charge or discharged. That will shorten it's life. The charger I have will automatically discharge to balance level if the battery is above that and it balances all the cells to 3.85 volts.

Some LiPos also recommend doing a few charge/discharge cycles at low current settings to break them in. It usually does not mean from full charge to depleted and back again but from near full charge down to 75% and back again a few times.
No Bounce-No Play The one who dies with the most toys wins!
MC-20 MX-20 Taranis X9DPlus HORUS
Friends don't let friends fly Spektrum!
Electric flying is pretty much seeing how close to a dead short you can run without setting it on fire.

davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: What does discharge and balance mean

Not absolutely certain, but I think xl.5 asked about DISCHARGE RATING on the battery.

That being the case you may be able to more easily understand what that means if you compare the battery pack to a pail of water with a hole in the bottom. The size of the pail and amount of water contained are what would be the CAPACITY, while the hole the water can flow from would be the DISCHARGE "C" RATING.

NOTE 1: At this point do not concern yourself with what determines the "C" rating.

You can get the same current FLOW out of the battery, (what is determined when you look at the C rating and is the max output current the battery can produce) by working with a smaller CAPACITY pail with a larger hole in the bottom, compared to a larger pail with a smaller hole. Both percentages would work out to the same amount of water exiting the hole, (current, or AMPS). However, just with the larger pail it would be obvious that the output could be sustained for much longer.

If you are new to LiPos there are other important factors to add to what you asked. LiPos are wonderful devices storing a lot of energy for their weight. However, they do not tolerate draining below a certain cell voltage or irreversible internal changes occur within the cells. This can happen even the first time and in most cases it's already too late if you allow the battery to sag at the end of a flight to tell you it's time to land.

It's absolutely critical you do not allow this to happen and almost impossible to accomplish if you work with the standard chargers that come with many PnP systems. They do not have a very high rewind rate and you have no way to monitor the health and charge capacity of the pack. This is where what davidmc36 comes into play regarding BALANCING as all cells should be even to get not only full capacity, but so that all the cells reach the same discharge point and not below.

If you intend to continue and progress with electrics I would strongly recommend one early important investment be a good balance charger. Their current output, (recharge capability) is often much higher, (meaning you can ofter fully rewind a pack in a lot less time) their balance setup better, the ability to display settings and battery info allowing you to tailor the charge to different battery sizes and cell counts, (along with pointing toward individual cell failures) and possibly tell you the percentage of battery capacity, (good to check when first recharging to confirm you did not drain it too far). All this should help monitor and ensure the best health of your batteries and also help point out one that is getting long in the tooth or just in bad condition.

NOTE 2: If you label and keep records for each battery you will be able to see if the pack is trending towards much less capacity that what was originally stated. A good indication it's near the end of it's useful life. This can also tell you on a new pack if it's a dud.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.