Engines Discuss engines

Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: William J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Gummed Up Carb Rotor

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have an OS Max 4 stroke with a gummed carb rotor. Looking for the best solution to try and free it up. Any suggestions?

BillyBones is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Re: Gummed Up Carb Rotor

I got an OS .60 once as an Ebay purchase, supposedly had only a few flights then was stored for several years. Rotor was stuck solid. I thought for sure I had been taken. I gave a shot of WD-40 down the throat of the carb and left it for about 15 minutes, and lo and behold, it moved! It was just castor gumming it up and it has been a great engine.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

Whenever I get a gummed up engine I suspect it was run with Castor oil. This is a good thing it leaves a slight coating of oil throughout the engine, but becomes gummy.

I just soak the engine in new fuel and very quickly it will free up. If it is just the carb, put some fresh fuel in the throat of the carb, put your finger over the carb opening, turn the engine up side down so the fuel comes back to the carb barrel, and very carefully move the throttle arm just a little at a time to work the fuel between the carb barrel and the carb body. It should free up.

WD 40 usually works as well, but typically does something to the glow plug and sometimes they give a problem after.

I hope this helps, let us know how you make out.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!" - Benjamin Franklin.
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 4

I use WD=40 until it loosens and then I remove the barrell and clean off all the tarnish and check the spring etc.and fuel inlet port.Also I normally have a wooden toothpick that I carefully use in some areas.
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
RCC Apprentice
I am: William J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

Thanks guys, soaked the carb over night in some glow fuel and now it's as slick as goose poop.

I do have one more question if I may. How do you get the varnish and crap off the muffler and cooling fins of the motor.

Thanks again
BillyBones is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Just a little caution here, WD40 dries and turns gummy just like castor oil. The common after run oil is automatic transmission oil.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ray S.

Total Props: 4

I inherited several 2c 4c glow models which did not run fro 4 years. I used Carburetor doctor ( CARQUEST or similar) to gently soak the carb throat, needle valve housing, valve train, camshaft housing (4s) for 20 min...runs like a charm. May need to gently break loose the carb barrel with pliers to get the cleaner into the patient, it will work. Disassemble as much as possible, soak in Carb Doctor and gently manipulate. Carb barrel will really gum up...don't force it.
Raysun is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 5

For getting the varnish off the fins and muffler, I like the Dawn Power Dissolver. Very hard to find. Mail order may be the best in Canada. Second best I would say would be to disassemble most of the motor and use the dedicated Crock Pot with a straight antifreeze on low heat. Either way, a toothbrushing and they come out like new. They are still worn out, but look great. Don't leave them in the crock pot too long, too hot, or they go grey.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.