Aviation Design - Scorpion - Page 14 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #131
bradleyban
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG Super
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 15
Re: Aviation Design - Scorpion

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Congrats Sean!! She looks great in the air!

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #132
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
18MZ
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 60

Ya! Congrats Sean!!

What are your thoughts?? Any set-up changes required??

As much as I'd love a Bandit or UltraFlash the twin-rudder of the scorpion is one of my favorites
Old 06-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #133
bradleyban
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG Super
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrum View Post
Ya! Congrats Sean!!

What are your thoughts?? Any set-up changes required??

As much as I'd love a Bandit or UltraFlash the twin-rudder of the scorpion is one of my favorites
F-14, F-15, F-18......... TAAAAwist!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #134
smchale
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Sean McHale
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 6

Thanks guys.

Couple observations. It needed A LOT of up trim with flaps. About 1/16" for clean flight, 1/8" for take off flap, and a 1/2" for full flap. That's just the trim. On the maiden flight I maxed out the up trim on full flap and still needed to hold a little pressure on the stick, which I actually like. I'm glad I added the extra travel as I'm sure I needed it to flare. I don't think I maxed out the travel on landing but it was comforting to know it was there. . Before the second flight I pulled the turbine and pipe and adjusted the arms on the stab pivots to give me some trim margin.

I inadvertently let some of the air out of the bake line before take off so I think that is why air pressure was trying to pushit open in flight. I didn't try the airbrake on landing but Wilson future flights. It will be interesting to see how it effects the trim.

I look forward to some more stick time so I can accurately share my settings, but it didn't seem difficult at all to fly and the second flight once trimmed was relaxing. I do think the partitioned tank may pose an issue as 3L of fuel was ok for 6.5 mins plus some taxi time but not much more. I may plumb the 1L smoke tank in series to gain more fuel capacity, then look ant some options for smoke fluid. Perhaps a pair of shallow tanks under the turbine mounts out to the wing roots....or above the main fuel cell. I'll see what Gary at jet tech has that may work....

All in all no complaints, the plane is very easy to fly, which I guess is why they class it as a trainer.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #135
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
18MZ

Total Props: 60

Thanks Sean!! All your comments echo what Sandro said about Peter's Scorpion. I also remember their comment on the partitioned tank and short flight times. Good to know
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #136
Youngguy
RCC Contributor

I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4

I noticed from the pictures on another web sit that you fly from a grass field. Did you experience any FOD coming from the main gear openings during your flight? I am considering the Scorpion (to replace my DV8R), but will require it to handle grass fields.
Youngguy is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #137
Pauld
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)

Total Props: 23

Sean,

Looks great and nice to see of the grass field. Smoke is awesome too.

When I originally flew mine, I had the cg too far forward and ran out of elevator on one of the landings which ended up I the death bounce. A proper cg - far enough back is essential. It flies better in the turns with a rearward cg as well. If I can recall, the rearward cg also helped with the flap trim issue as well.

Is the split tank the largest that is offered? I seem to recall there was something larger available ?

Bruce, as far as grass fod, you will have a problem. I plugged a fod screen on mine and never got it off the ground. I ended up building some balsa covers over the wheel wells which solved the problem. I think you would like this jet and it handles well.

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #138
snovell
RCC Contributor

I am: CPT BBD
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: TBD

Total Props: 1

HEY TREV!!!

I have another idea!! (If you get a scorpion) Why don't you make a drop tank for the scorpion (Like them fuel tanks for the Hawk)LOLOL!!, appy it to the belly and that should give you an extra 5min flight time. It would also look really cool!!

Take OFFS are optional!!! Landings will happen in many different shapes and forms!!!
"TEAM JR" www.jramericas.com
snovell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #139
rcguy5
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike B

Total Props: 1

Hey Guys,

Jettech makes the same tank without the partition giving you just over 4L capacity which is what I have, I get more than 8 mins with my JB180 using a lot of power with plenty go around fuel.

I haven't had any issues on grass as long as there isn't loose clippings as in my case.

Trevor, with airbrake you will need additional up elevator mixed in as in my case even with the rearward cg.

Mike
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #140
smchale
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Sean McHale
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngguy View Post
I noticed from the pictures on another web sit that you fly from a grass field. Did you experience any FOD coming from the main gear openings during your flight? I am considering the Scorpion (to replace my DV8R), but will require it to handle grass fields.
I've had 5 flights now and don't see any signs of FOD from the main gear. I retract my gear quickly too after takeoff. They retract inwards so in theory debris should be thrown back. Paul's suggestion of a guard or cover would work too if you are worried about it. Also, if you order via ultimate jets you will also be able to get the full bypass they are currently working on. That will not only speed the plane up, but also should eliminate your FOD concerns. They aim to do a 140 class bypass as well as a 100 class size for smaller turbines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.