What to use for a track - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rob

Total Props: 0
What to use for a track

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Looking for opinion on what to use for a offroad track surface. I know Clay would be good but what else would hold up to the beating sun and rain ?
What do you mean , I can land upside down
Rob is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
RCC Noob
I am: Vince A

Re: What to use for a track

There is a wealth of information in this thread on RC Tech -> http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...questions.html
vincea is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
I am: R.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX3.0
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 62

What scale are you planning to run?
Nitro or electric?
Driver stand?

Quoted from the link above

Things to keep in mind for a successful track build (yours, your club track, or the ROAR nats):

Put the biggest jump on the track at the beginning of the fastest straightaway, not at the end. If you want a crashfest the first lap and every lap afterword, reverse this.

The slowest, tightest corner on the track should lead to the fastest straightaway. See above.

Unless you have a heavily clay based soil, organic material (sawdust, grass clippings, compost, steer manure) will help your track hold moisture EXCEPT you have to incorporate it with your existing soil. If you have a clay based soil, it already has capacity to hold a ton of moisture, which is why it cracks when it dries out, but even there, organics are almost always a plus if they are small enough and you get them incorporated with the soil.

Rototillers are death for soil structure, but everyone uses them. Seriously. They 'fluff up' the soil which would be GREAT if you were trying to make a bog or race sand dragsters. Most people turn around and run a tamper or pack their track once it's shaped. What's the point of fluffing it if you are just going to compact it again? A disc or a shovel or a scraper on a tractor or a bucket loader is fine, but rototillers are death. Remember this.

Don't short change your watering system. I have put 2000 gallons on my mostly clay/silt practice track over the past two days (closest one for real is an hour and a half drive) and it's not ready to run yet. I can put on 500 gallons in about ten minutes, but a purpose built sprinkler system would be better.

My granddad always said there was enough high spots to fill in the low spots. While he was always trying to level land so it was easier to farm, most of us are trying to build terrain. Even if you are building a track on the flattest place on earth (Australia maybe?) you can move dirt on the site for the track as long as you keep drainage and grading in mind. You can build drainage into the track in lieu of lane lines. A digital camera after a rainstorm can be heaven sent because you can see where the water puddles and work around it accordingly.

If you want a blue grove track, all you need is a soil that has some clay in it, a bunch of water, and a way to compact it while the surface is wet. After you get it packed and soaked and packed and soaked....start running on it, let it dry out and then ONLY use a leaf blower or a broom for maintance. It'll be shot the next time it rains, so get your licks in while you can. You can water the berms where you sweep for dust control, but keep the water off the driving line.

When watering, the sun isn't your friend - especially in the summer. Water at or near sunset, or if you have light, after sundown. If we need to water roads during the summer for dust control (which is the same process as if you were trying to make a blue grove track, because pretty much we are doing that) we put a man to work at sundown and have him water all night till sun up. He can work all day and literally have nothing to show for it thanks to evaporation, but if he works at night we can get enough moisture in to keep things under control.
RCRick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: adam
# of RCs: 2

6 months ago our club members made a track for 1/8 scale electric RC cars. but now within the six months there are cracks in the track can some one suggest me what to do with it now.
adam258 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.