RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 06-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: J
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
Review: HSP Troian 1/16 buggy

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have no idea where to put this review, but maybe this is a good spot lol.Before I get started into this, I just want to clarify exactly... who is HSP. HSP is a R/C manufacturer based in Hong Kong, China. Obviously, it's stereotyped typically along with the HobbyPartz/NitroRCX and other brands who fall into that category. These RCs aren't exactly 'meant to be raced', they are simply for... having fun. They are VERY affordable, and a blast to have. HSP is also behind a large brand of RCs, Redcat Racing. I'm sure most people in the community have heard of Redcat, they are a well-established brand who seem to produce some pretty decent stuff. I know for a fact, anything over 1/8th scale by them is basically top-notch. They are also behind one of HPI's products (don't know exact one).

The outer of the box is basically covered with various other models made by HSP. Actually, I was shocked when I first opened the package. It first displayed a HSP 1/16 'Kingliness" and was surprised because we agreed ona 1/16 electric buggy. Then looking over the outside, I could just see that it was various models and there was at a sticker with the actual model inside. When you first open the box, it comes with the buggy strapped with zip-ties down to a cardboard base and a box with the radio system in it.

First, let me go over the radio system. It's basically a re-branded 2.4ghz Flysky GT2. It has your basic throttle and steering trims, along with switchable throttle steering reverse. Has 2 LEDs, one which is a power LED to indicate that the system is on and the other which is used to indicate the battery level (Full, and low). The feel in your hands isn't too bad, it doesn't feel too cheap but you can tell it isn't anything high quality (Wasn't expecting it to be either). I've had a few FlySky GT2s in my journey through the hobby, it does the job. It's 2.4ghz so there won't be any frequency issues and no long, annoying antennas. One thing I though should of been improved is the size of the steering wheel on the radio system itself, it seems quite small and proportionally difficult to maintain a steering degree out on the track. HSP calls this radio system the 'HISPEED radio control'. 2 channels, but the receiver itself has 6... which I actual found surprising. Room for LEDs! Overall, not bad, no problems whatsoever.

Now I will go over the actual buggy itself. Out of the box, there was a few things that needed to be done. The shocks seemed a bit loose, couple spins on the threaded caps and they were good. The bodies themselves weren't threaded, and there was no spacers to adjust them. I thought the out-of-the-box rebound and stiffness was actually pretty much on-par with it's size. Don't know if they are oil-filled though, I don't exactly want to pull it apart.

Everything else wasn't too bad. Had some nice aluminum parts which were an added bonus, shock towers, shock caps and toe links are all aluminum. There is also a heatsink which can be removed BTW, mounted on the brushed 380 sized motor.

The out-of-the-box mesh between the spur and pinion were pretty good, no complaints there. There is a plastic spur which is visible from the top view of the buggy.
Tires seem to sticky, they have a block-type design and feel like they have good wear and traction, but we will see about that. Wheels are white plastic, pre-glued to the tire... nothing special there.
The wing is white and thick plastic, has a few cheesy stickers like "Ready-To-Run SuperBattery" and "Caution Heat!" ... super battery? Really? But hey, I guess this is more for kids
All the electronics are mounted in the center, ESC in the front with the RX in the rear. Servo is slightly off center to the right and which is connected with link to the steering components. Oh! And according to the sticker, it's waterproof!!!

The body itself is made of polycarbonate (or lexan), has a pretty cool paint scheme with flames and stuff. Also has Troian on it, I don't see why they dont just called it Trojan... I never knew Troian was a word until now, as it's just another word for Trojan.

Out bashing, this is actually not bad. The tires stick to the pavement quite well actually, turns on a dime... It's just, it takes a while to get there. What I mean by that is, the servo is quite slow. It does turn the tires though, it gets the job done. Wasn't expecting much, after all.... it's a $140 buggy. Acceleration is pretty good, you might be able to get the front end up by reversing and jamming it into forward (we all know how to do that ). 4 wheel drive does work, no doubt about it. I was unable to get it up to much speed to do some jumping to test out the in-air stability. On grass.... it doesn't do well, but like any mini RC, it will get stuck depending on how long your grass is. 4 wheel drive helps in that situation though, just adds additional unwanted heat and strain to the motor and ESC.

I had about 10 mins of run time on the battery that came included (don't know if it was fully charged). But lets not forget to mention how slow the included charger is, I looked quickly over the manual and it did not say how long it would take but we all know that included chargers take forever. The battery included is a 'HSP 7.2v 1100mah battery' NiMH, not a lipo.

Here is an image comparing size between my 1/8 Losi LST2 monster truck, and the HSP Troian.

But without a doubt, this is a great buggy to give to kids. It's durable and a lot of fun, optional upgrades and replacement parts are available... just may be a pain to find them. Included is a fold-out sheet of available parts. For $140 you get quite a bit out of this little buggy. I'd recommend getting a different battery and charger, and solder on a actual connector... not this mini molex connector.

This is available at T-Mart for about $138 + shipping.

BrushlessBomb is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Byron M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C, Hitec Aggressor Pro 2.4Ghz, FlySky FS-T6
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 0
Re: Review: HSP Troian 1/16 buggy

thanks for the review. I was looking at the HSP 1/16 crawler with the VW Bug body today and wanted to hear something about them. REDCAT R/C is basically the same as EXCEED RC as well as some Hobbyking stuff, and REDCAT can be bought in Brampton, they have a dealer there, so you MAY be able to get parts here in Canada.
Cool little buggy.
Drift,touring, off road
lamadude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.