Garth Mitchell's 1/4 Chipmunk - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
RCC Plans Exchange This is a place for RCC members to exchange plans that they own (they have drawn). Please note that commercial plans will not be allowed. If you do not have the rights to post the plans, do not post them.
Plans should be updated in DXF format or zipped to decrease the size.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Wells S

Total Props: 0
Garth Mitchell's 1/4 Chipmunk

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A couple of years ago, I acquired Garth's chipmunk plans, with the idea that I would build it one day. I just pulled the plans ( on original vellum paper! ) to look at them. These are gorgeous plans and so I had to make them available to the world. Maybe somebody still likes to build! This was probably the last project that Garth worked on before he passed in 1997?

The plans were drawn by R. Riddell, whom I am not familiar with, but I suspect he was a draftsman at Fleet, where Garth worked, if I recall correctly. I have seen two of these models fly, including Garth's. I'm not sure if any others were built. I have the foam cores and canopy mold to build another example. I may be able to provide a canopy, although I've never vacuum formed anything before. I also have construction notes and photographs. There are six sheets, in pdf format. Just take them to your commercial print place and I'm told they will print full size. Garth was one of the two instructors that awarded me my wings, back in 1986 ( I was 13 ). He used to drive me to the club meetings, not very talkative as I recall. Then again, neither was I ! There was quite an age gap. Anyway, enjoy...!144 ( sheet 1, fuselage )!147 ( sheet 2, wing )!145 ( sheet 3, tail )!143 ( sheet 4, formers )!142 ( sheet 5, fillet details )!146 ( sheet 6, landing gear )!153 ( construction notes )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img154.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	205907   Click image for larger version

Name:	img155.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	652.5 KB
ID:	205908   Click image for larger version

Name:	img156.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	737.3 KB
ID:	205909   Click image for larger version

Name:	img157.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	562.0 KB
ID:	205910  

MAAC 31129

Last edited by wells; 06-15-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: add photos
wells is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Wayne K

Total Props: 2
Re: Garth Mitchell's 1/4 Chipmunk

Many thanks, nice plans.

MAAC 19744
Wayne_K is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Glenn Nigh
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

Thanks Wells, Garth was the best and a good friend. I still have one of the planes he built, his CUB. I thought I had some parts for that Chipmunk some place , and was always going to build it, must look them up. I hardly ever go to St Catharines but I think of him. Always considered him a real stabilizer of our Club. I see you have planes designed by Don Prentice too! Boy we miss those guys. Thanks again for the drawing site. Glenn
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Scott B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 8

Great plans!

Thanks for sharing!

Carlisler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2

Awesome! Thanks so much! Just what I have been looking for.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.