1978 Bud Barkley Tiger Moth - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: yoram d
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5 +

Total Props: 0
1978 Bud Barkley Tiger Moth

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The plans call for using "polyester resin" (see image) to join bottom half fibreglass gas tank to ply framing inside it. Can I get away with using 15min. epoxy? what is the reasoning behind the use of resin vs epoxy, Is resilience the issue?
Please help !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-05 10.04.41 (1).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	207771  
tronic5 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62
Re: 1978 Bud Barkley Tiger Moth

I don't see why you couldn't use epoxy, I would use the 30min though. The back of that fibreglass is plenty rough for adhesion.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Cross Check
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave F

Total Props: 9

Hi tronic5,

I do not understand why they would call for polyester rather than epoxy.

Epoxy will bond to polyester.
Polyester will NOT bond to epoxy.

Rough up the (I assume polyester) tank with 40grit. Wipe clean with acetone and rag.

Use a longer curing epoxy. I like the 3hr stuff, or West brand.

5min/15min is like cheese, compared to the longer setting stuff. (try doing samples)

I would mix up an epoxy putty using microballoons/milled glass fibres to fill any gaps/voids and put a fillet between the ribs and tank.

Hope this helps.

Looks like a great project !

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bob A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Looking at the info below I almost think they don't want a strong bond. Is the fit of the tank in the space where it goes almost an interference fit? Maybe they are afraid the epoxy will set up before you can squeeze the tank in place.

Epoxy materials tend to harden somewhat more gradually, while polyester materials tend to harden quickly, particularly if a lot of catalyst is used. The chemical reactions in both cases are exothermic. Large quantities of mix will generate their own heat and greatly speed the reaction, so it is usual to mix small amounts which can be used quickly.

While it is common to associate polyester resins and epoxy resins, their properties are sufficiently different that they are properly treated as distinct materials. Polyester resins are typically low strength unless used with a reinforcing material like glass fibre, are relatively brittle unless reinforced, and have low adhesion. Epoxies, by contrast, are inherently strong, somewhat flexible and have excellent adhesion. However, polyester resins are much cheaper.

Epoxy resins typically require a precise mix of two components which form a third chemical. Depending on the properties required, the ratio may be anything from 1:1 or over 10:1, but in every case they must be mixed in exactly the right proportions, and thoroughly to avoid unmixed portions. The final product is then a precise thermo-setting plastic. Until they are mixed the two elements are relatively inert, although the 'hardeners' tend to be more chemically active and should be protected from the atmosphere and moisture. The rate of the reaction can be changed by using different hardeners, which may change the nature of the final product, or by controlling the temperature.

By contrast, polyester resins are usually made available in a 'promoted' form, such that the progress of previously-mixed resins from liquid to solid is already underway, albeit very slowly. The only variable available to the user is to change the rate of this process using a catalyst, often Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-Peroxide (MEKP), which is very toxic. The presence of the catalyst in the final product actually detracts from the desirable properties; just enough catalyst to harden fast enough is preferable. The rate of cure of polyesters is controlled by the amount and type of catalyst, and the temperature.

As adhesives, epoxies bond in three ways: a) mechanically, because the bonding surfaces are roughened; b) by proximity, because the cured resins are physically so close to the bonding surfaces that they are hard to separate; c) ionically, because the epoxy resins form ionic bonds at an atomic level with the bonding surfaces. This last is substantially the strongest of the three. By contrast, polyester resins can only bond using the first two of these, which greatly reduces their utility as adhesives and in marine repair.
fixer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
ace mcfee
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Karl C.
# of RCs: 8

I have acquired a wonderful old Bud Barkley Tiger Moth. It looks like it might be 1/4 scale. According to the faded message on the instrument panel, it was built or owned by W. Jones in 1979. There's a phone number but no area code. I have no plans for this model and no idea what the CG is. If you have the plans showing the CG could you please let me know what it is.

I am close to flying readiness. I have just mounted a Zenoah 38CC on it and am in the process of replacing the pull/pull cables that have worn thin or were damaged over years of flying and storage.

Many thanks for your help on this.

ace mcfee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

A reply from someone who has flown the model would be more useful...... but I happen to still have Barkley kit and on the plans the center of gravity symbol is located on the side view of the plan on the rear aluminum strut that connects the fuselage to upper wing fuel tank, 1" down from the bolt point of the top of that strut to the metal tab that are screwed into the tank assembly at two points. The ' 1 inch down' is measured along the centerline of the strut, not 1 inch horizontally forward of that bolt point.

When I drop a vertical line from that center of gravity symbol, the line intersects with the center of the forward aluminum jointer tube in the bottom wing.

Curiously the several pages of plan directions don't mention center of gravity.

Again, get some feedback from people who have flown the model (It would not be the first time that a plan was wrong - smiley) There should be flight, if not build logs on some of the model forums..... and I believe a quarter scale Tiger Moth in almost ready to fly format came out several years ago so there should be lots of forum postings about that model.

good luck and post some pictures

michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
ace mcfee
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Karl C.
# of RCs: 8

Hi Michael:

The information you have provided is just what I needed!

With this data, I am sure that the CG won't be far out when I fly this old bird.

You mentioned you still have a Barkley Kit of the Tiger Moth. If you are not going to build it and would be willing to part with it, I would be most interested.

Thanks for the information.

I will post some pictures of the Moth.

ace mcfee is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.