RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #21
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: wilf h
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 1
Re: Training = OUCH!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
yea I don't get it either. they used to train pilots in tiger moths in the early days because they where light cheap easy to fly.
I'm self taught on foamies. After many crashes and repairs I still have my first super cub. I did buy a arf nitro trainer but it sits in the corner still in box.
To busy building scratch built foam based planes. It pobly can wait till next yr.or 2
wilf is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #22
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

One of the biggest learning tools is do an autopsy on the remains and key it to the last actions of the aircraft. Things like: The wrong size screw in the aileron belcrank. A Futaba output arm on a Hitec servo. Aileron flutter. Wing bolt threaded blocks coming loose. Not enough rubber bands on the wing. Hinges pulling out. Servo coming loose. Running the 72 MHZ antenna parallel close to metal push rods or long servo extensions. This happened a few days ago, left the bind plug in on 2.4. Just guess how I found all of these out!!!! One last caution, a lot of the aluminum paint actually contains powdered aluminum and effectively shields the antenna. A couple of ARF's I had the covering basic color was aluminum and the camouflage was spray painted on. This could also shield the antenna.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #23
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Originally Posted by The Violets View Post

Some great stories and advice, no one was hurt and I've set myself up nice and purchased an Hitec Optic 5 this year as the buddy box for my A-9. I’m guessing I was too low, lost orientation and the instructor didn’t have time to recover, he felt bad about the whole thing, even offered to help with repairs.

Have your instructor explain the "3 mistakes high" rule. This is very important for a beginner like you (and the instructor) to follow. This would prevent a situation like the one you describe above.
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #24
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Jeff.S

Total Props: 10

When I started flying one of the instructors had explained a few important points to me.
1. Never fall in love with a trainer.
2. Never go to the field with one plane. One screw up and your heading home.
3. Most people should Always fly 3 f ups high. 5 for me with only one eye.
4. Don't rush the plane off of the ground or the plane will rush back on its own. (Stalls)
5. A good landing doesn't require glue before the next flights.
6. My favourite. Is fly the plane to the ground weather crashing or landing. You may get lucky and pull out of a mishap.
7. The plane does not know it is windy. If you don't want to fly in the wind buy a plane to fly in a gym.
8. If it is not fun anymore just quit because it is a hobby.

After all this. I still plant balsa. Try to smile and after a while you will have enough spare parts that the cost will be minimum.
Trout Farm Flyers
BansheeBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #25
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22

excellent list, that. Especially #2. With the crazy low price of foam planes for new flyers, it is silly to have only one plane at the field. I brought 5 to the field the other day. Broke 2 of them, but kept flying the rest.

also, bring glue. Gone flying countless times and got hangar rash or bad landing damage. Often can be fixed with 5 minutes and some glue. Instead of calling it a day and heading home, glue it and fly, fly again.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #26
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darth
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4

Originally Posted by The Violets View Post
4th training flight this year with an instructor, it's gotta hurt
As you said, you got low, slow and no options or hope of recovery.

Was this the first time you were doing that? If so, fix the plane, get it back in the air, and practice the maneuver again, but at least 3 f'ups high until the instructor says you're ready to try it again, and then fly it with the instructor having his arms around you and fingers on the stick, ready to add correction.

Better yet, have him fly that first landing approach in the same positions so you learn the feel of the approach, then do it on your own with some altitude.

I learned my landing approaches doing shoot-throughs at about 20-30 feet wsith some speed on (instructor told me when to stop backing off the throttle.)
strikemaster is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #27
The Violets
RCC Contributor
I am: Michael L
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 8

Thanks, lots of great advice here at RCC and support at the Club, and after being in this hobby for a couple of years; Iím determined to get my solo. Flying was last on the list and only started this year; I really took a shine to the building end of it, and amassed an assortment of tools and supplies, down in the cave to keep me going for a while. Wing repairs (last yearís maiden flight, LOL!) on my E-Flite Alpha Sport 450 are completed, so with some good weather Iíll be at it again, this weekend. As for the Hobbico-60 (OS-55) Iím preparing, well that will have to wait until I get a little more experience under my belt. Someone here is trying to work-out a replacement 40 air frame and as for this one; it will be a nice little project, this winter.
Call me old school but I got into this for the balsa and nitro, quit, hell no, frustrating, hell yes, but when things start falling it place, now that is some hobby! Iíve met and dealt with too many good people, here in Canada and the US, to walk away.
The things you work hard for, and pain you the most, always have the best pay-offÖ
MAAC 84116
Iíve flown but I can't fly...yet!
Click Here for My First Kit Build
The Violets is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #28
The Violets
RCC Contributor
I am: Michael L
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 8

So I was back at it this morning and you guys were right the electric Alpha 450; was a better start-up trainer for me The shorter flight times, less weight, proved more manageable with a lot less anxiety! Thereís was more communication with the instructors on what I was comfortable with and what I wasnít.
Itís a beautiful day here in Montreal and I got six flights in and I was real happy with the last two! The nitros will have to wait until I gain momentum and gradually move-up in size.

Again, thanks for the sound advice
MAAC 84116
Iíve flown but I can't fly...yet!
Click Here for My First Kit Build
The Violets is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

Good to hear that you are back in the saddle!

There are a lot of so-called trainers that are not very well suited to learn on and just looking at the wreckage here, you may have had one of those. It has little to do with what they are powered with and everything to do with wing loading and flight characteristics as you are starting to see!

Also glad to see the communication has improved! It's really tough to try & learn from multiple instructors as there is usually little continuity in the lessons & conflicting ideas/techniques.

Keep at it though as many of us didn't get any instruction & had to learn it all the hard way!
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

Some good points there Mervin. (my old buddy)
From the other side (instructor), it goes the same. Keep with one instructor as much as possible to get through the basics.
Advice I often forward. Find someone that displays consistant, reliable flight and equipment. And try and duplicate. So with this thought, try and get your basics from one instructor that displays success.
Situations dictate differantly in real life. Hope you get throught the basic wings (or equivelant) level.
Enjoy your hobby. make it what you want.
Two thoughts:
Education cost (a way to justify monetary loss after a wreck)
Humour is nothing more than tragidy, plus time. It may seem disastourus today, yet become a giggle as time heals.

P.S. no I don't instruct. . . . I instruct instructors!
FishFly - FunFly, Sept 11-13. Great fun!
Trout Farm Flyers. Life is good.
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

crash , training

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.