Hitec Eclipse 7 channel lock up. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor
I am: Daniel M

Total Props: 0
Hitec Eclipse 7 channel lock up.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was out flying my e-flight Taylorcraft the other day with my fm Eclipse 7 and all of a sudden the plane was going squirly, wanting to roll.
I did manage a controlled crash landing with very minimal damage but noticed that the ailerons were not moving.
at home, I tried another reciever and the same thing. No channel 1. aileron servos were unresponsive.
Then I tried canging models, and voila! all works. Changed back to the Taylorcraft and all works now.
This radio has not been mishandeled, is about 7 years ols and has, until this, worked perfectly.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Can I retire now?
Scale Freak is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Hitec Eclipse 7 channel lock up.

I had a brand new bixler servo pack it in just as I was getting it ready for the first flight.

It worked for a grand total of about 5 minutes before it was dead, dead, dead.

Good thing I caught it when I did. I just swapped it out for another servo and I was good to go, never had a problem since.
Out of millions of servos made and sold, I guess every once in a while somebody gets a bum servo in their plane.
Seems like yours was one of those servos. I would not trust that one servo. It if worked, then stopped working and now its working again, I guarantee it is probably only temporary and it will probably happen again. Better safe than sorry; swap out the suspect servo!
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

Also check that your module is in tight and the pins are not loose on the tx board.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Scale Freak
RCC Contributor
I am: Daniel M

Total Props: 0

Thanks Max, problem is its not the servos. I tried a different reciever and a diferent servo and it was still unresponsive till I switched models in the menu.
I am wondering if there is a softwear glitch or perhaps now just a bad component. I will check connections for dirt or oxidation, I did not do that yet.
4*60, everyting looked really good inside, but I will do a pin test anyway.
Can I retire now?
Scale Freak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Wayne Pinke
Radio of choice:
Futaba & Hitec

Total Props: 5

Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Also check that your module is in tight and the pins are not loose on the tx board.
As 4*60 mentioned, did you check the pins on the Tx circuit board for the frequency module? I had a problem like this, but with a Futaba Tx. The servos for some miraculous reason did not quit, but my Tx kept beeping once in a while. I thought the beeping was the timer, but I've not heard this type of beeping before while flying. After trying to look at the display a few times while flying I noticed the "RF" icon was flashing ---------- NOT GOOD because it's supposed to on SOLID to indicate the signal is transmitting. I landed as fast as I could and was very lucky.

With 72 MHZ a short loss of signal (msec's) due to bad connections may not seem to look like a problem because it "recovers" relatively quickly. After inspection, thinking the module may be the problem, I found half of the the long pins were loose at the solder joints on the Tx circuit board. I checked 4 other Tx's & found a couple had some loose pins also. I re-soldered any suspicious pins and have had no problem since. Installing and removing the modules need to be done with care because there's a fair amount of pressure exerted if not installing/removing the module "square" or straight in & out of the socket. If you have the Hitec Frequency Select type module, I know it has to be removed in order to change frequencies (select switches are on the side), so the pins will get some stress over time. I had a couple Eclipse 7's. The Futaba modules have the select switches on the back, so there's less need to remove the module.

To rule this problem out it's worth a look to remove the module (and possibly the antenna) in order to remove the back cover and look at the solder joints of the pins.

Hope this helps in some way to cure the problem.
Wayne Pinke
MAAC #8730
Sun Parlor RC Flyers (Windsor, Ont)
waynepinke is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.