Regular Inspections are a MUST! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30
Regular Inspections are a MUST!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I had a great day of flying! Clear Skies, no wind (bummer), warm temperature and Three Stellar flights!
Until the last landing – my 50cc Extra came in on the glide slope perfectly (I was practicing it) and I touched down nicely … then the problem happened.

I had [b]No Ground Handling Control![\b] (No Rudder!)

The Extra headed to the flight line (No One was there) so I killed the engine – NOW I KNOW Why I have the Kill switch! :shocked:

When I was back in the pits I looked closely at the rudder – both cables were intact, but flopping around! ???
I dropped the wing and the Cables were still attached to the Rudder Servo Control Horn??

Then I looked closely, the Control Horn Screw had backed off from Vibration. It was holding on by a thread and the Control Horn Splines were not in contact with the Servo Splines!

Something so simple.

This was a good wake up call for me. Do regular inspections and tighten anything that could possibly move!

Today it was just the Rudder – tomorrow… It could be much more serious!
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darth
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4
Re: Regular Inspections are a MUST!

Rob, have to agree completely with you on that. Not saying it's you, but a lot of people regard the giant-scale planes as if they were .45-sized trainers and aren't taking into account the greater stresses from the larger gas engines and g-forces and air resistance.

Build for the flight loads that you'll encounter and regularly check all connections, not just the control system but the entire system -- from receiver right through to flight surface. everything is screwed down tight Bristol fashion, or whatever the British naval slang is.
strikemaster is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Ken N
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 4

Yep I second that. Spent all day on my 50cc AJ Slick, found quite a few things coming lose.

sibola is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Derrick
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 3

Wow, thought I was the only one to have this.
Did a pre flight on my Yak, one of the Ail sevo's had all the screws loose. Easy fix.
My other plane, 30 cc Sbach did not fair as well. Here is complacency in action.
Replaced the aileron servo's, old ones were cooked.
Servo's in, linkages hooked up, set up and flew. Good flight, all good.
Go out this morn, charge batteries, NO preflight other than to check control surface movement.......
Big mistake. Took off, plane flew good fo about 10 seconds. Then trims went wonky, all over the place. Wrote it off as wind. Well the next pass loking at the plane, it looke like the left wing was trying to part company with plane. OH Oh, Called intentions to crash, tried to come around, no way. SLowed plane right down as close to runway as I could, killed engine in air and watched it flop onto ground.
Walked over to plane, One of the Aileron linkages had disconnected in flight, and it was flopping like a bugger.
Got lucky and removed only the gear.
Just goes to show how important that 2 min to do a good preflight check is, before every flight. Certain that would have been caught.
I got lucky. This could have totaled the plane, or worse, crashed somewhere else that could have hurt people or property.
tallone66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 3

Something I found out last year, almost the hard way, always check your prop bolts after a few flights.
I was flying at the Giant Scale meet in Kingston when my spotter noticed some flutter on my aileron. I landed and noticed that one of the servos had started to come loose from its mount. That wasnt the bad part though.
When we looked at the prop we noticed that the spinner had cut into the carbon fibre prop about a half inch. Undid the spinner and the prop came off with it!!! The only thing holding the prop on was the spinner. 3 bolts had backed out and 1 had sheared off. Things could have been alot worse if the spinner had let go midair.
On the upside it really shows how tough a carbon fibre prop is, even with a half inch cut on both sides it still held together
Sleep is for the weak

Last edited by shaggy50; 07-15-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: sp
shaggy50 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FGS
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 24

Pre-flight definitely pays! I replaced the elevator linkages on my 50cc SBach and during the preflight I found I'd forgotten to bolt the link to the control horn. Whoops! I had to drive home to get the hardware and I was cursing myself until I realized the big picture - that my plane was still in one piece.
RC Aviator, gas power proponent
MAAC 83386, Stetson Flyers, Ottawa ON Canada
grosbeak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1

The other day I found that my carbon prop was delaminating around the prop hub. It actually had a large split and had lost alot of it's strength.Even cabon fibre starts to fail after time.
Bryan Mailloux is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

my planes, from coro combat and foam edf's to 1/4 scale warbirds and aerobatic planes ger a compleat annual inspection every spring, and then, depending on the amout of flying (or not flying) I do I will give them a once over every few hrs of flight.
My Kadessna just got it's "100hr" inspection, pulled the cowl, cleaned the fire wall, checked the motor mounts, and noticed a few things needed reapair.
The Muffler was loose, and there was a motor mount bolt that had worked loose.

locktite is your friend!

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

I use blue loctite on everything it can be used on. A small price to pay to keep things from getting loose.Good points on pre flights guy's safety being an important issue.Shaggy 50 i can relate to your story.In my early years when i first started instructing with my very first student,we were doing a pre flight test everything looked good we were about to start the engine i said to my student we better make sure the prop nut is tight he said to me he had checked it and it was tight.I said are you sure he said yes.So i took his word on it BIG MISTAKE we proceded to start the engine the engine fired up had him put the nose up to check throttled up then it happened prop nut came loose threw the prop off the shaft.Thank goodness for the spinner that was the only thing that prevented it from coming off and could have been a serious matter.Two things i quickly learned that day.As an instructor make sure everything is checked by me,and alway's make sure every engine has a spinner.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Arn H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

All good subject matter ..... I'll just add this ..... check your Tx/Rx battery ..... most Tx's these days display voltage so that is an easy one ..... for Rx's ..... use a voltmeter that actually puts a load on the pack ..... 300Ma min ..... and check before each flight ..... it just takes a few seconds to do ..... it may save you some grief .....

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Arn is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.