RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
RCC Apprentice
I am: Brandon
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Re: Want to get a plane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The apprentice does look really cool..
ChunkyHPI is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
RCC Apprentice
I am: Brandon

Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
yeah I'd probably go with the Apprentice too...for the difference of just over one hundred dollars, you're getting better electronics, that down the road can always go into something else. As well, you don't even need the foam safe CA, just the regular for Z-Foam!
Yeah spending the extra $100 will save me in the long run as the only thing I'm scared of is the landing part
ChunkyHPI is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
RCC Noob
I am: judith

Originally Posted by ChunkyHPI View Post
Hey guys.. Just looking for some opinions on a plane for a beginner..
i recommend you Dynam EZ Hawk electric plan. This RC plane with its brushless motor is the perfect trainer airplane for a beginner. Just a little assembly is required. Then you will this RC plane flying in minutes.The EZ Hawk powered 400 paired with a Dynam Brushless Electronic Speed ​​Control (ESC) and the 2.4 GHz radio equipment by a powerful Dynam Brushless Speed.
judith424 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
flying otter
RCC Noob
I am: bert p
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 11

Super cub a good choice but I would recomend going with a plane WITH ailerons.
The Apprentice with the safe technology would be a better choice. Just my opinion of course.
Noticed you were afraid of landing.............the safe technology in the apprentice will land it for you. And it really does work.
flying otter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Larry
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 14

I used an Apprentice to return to the hobby after about a 30 year break. It's the original version without the technology added & has been a great toy which I still fly regularly. I'm sure I've got at least 300 flights & it still has the original wing & tail feathers BUT it broke several motor mounts because the nose wheel linkage kept popping apart. Land funny & with the nose wheel at about 90 degrees to the ground & it pops the motor mount & breaks the cowl. I cured that with a better linkage & I've never had an issue again. Very good value for the RTF version. One thing I did do to help visibility was to paint the underside of the wings bright red. Helped a lot in the early days but less important now.
My guide to R/C photography.

R/C & full scale albums http://www.flickr.com/photos/96950645@N04/albums
cicopo is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I've instructed on them all. Ever since the Apprentice with SAFE technology came out, that is now my #1 referral for beginners. I'm not the only one saying this either...

Originally Posted by hellyeh View Post
I flew the new Apprentice with the SAFE technology tonight and all i can say is Eflite has absolutely nailed it with this airplane ! I wouldn't even look at or recommend anything else , it's THAT good !
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Wade Z

Total Props: 4

One big reason I suggest the elec apprentice is it has a pretty big wing span and can handle a pretty good breeze. And for 314$ ish ready to fly its a good deal. It would cost another 100$ plus for a ready to fly nitro.
08-04-2013 11:22 PM
Interesting. When I started in 96, it cost approx $600 for a Skyward 40 kit/ ASP .40/ Futaba 4 ch. FM radio/ covering, glue, etc.
MAAC #57828
Living dangerously in the Low Fly Zone (seakings overhead !!!!)
Aircraft Maintenence Engineer-Structures apprentice
Argus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★
I am: Lorne L

Total Props: 11

Originally Posted by bhughes View Post
E-flite apprentice. Good flight time easy to repair and parts are available

+1 for the apprentice as well
Canadian distributor for EME Engines, 3DHOBBYSHOP, GP ENGINES, PRO-FLOW 3D CANS, TDRC 20 AWG Servo Wires,
Also: Savox Servos, Hacker motors, Castle Creations, Falcon Props, SWB MFG, Smart-fly, 4titude Tanks
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22

All good. The PZ Supercub is the #1 trainer around here, closely followed by the Easystar type planes. That apprentice sounds good given the stabilization electronics you can get with it, though.

The reasoning behind me recommending the Easystar type (or the Bixler/AXNCloudFly/Skysurfer etc which are Easystar types with ailerons) is that it takes the pressure off needing to land on gear, and you pretty much cannot break prop/motor/motor mount with the pusher type planes. You WILL break props and motor mounts with any tractor propped trainer so if you get a plane with a motor on the front, buy some spares.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
RCC Noob
I am: Zach R.
Radio of choice:

This is what I started on:

It is what got me into flying. Very easy to fly, very cheap (comes RTF) and doesn't break easily. Can be flown in a gym once you are used to it. I recommend the champ for learning the most basic things, such as orientation. It doesn't handle wind well, but when you can fly it safely in the wind, you know you are ready to step up to the next level. I bought a couple more micros after the champ, learning to fly with ailerons on a small p51 and then getting a micro MiG, but the bug had caught on by then and I needed something bigger.

That's when I bought this:

I know you said you are not interested in nitro, but neither was I when I started and now I won't look back. Nothing like the sound and smell of a real engine. Plus, I get enjoyment out of learning about the engine. Tuning and maintenance really takes no longer than a couple of blog reads to learn. Plus, that PTS p51 includes a DX6i, a 6 channel receiver, an engine and all the servos. Added up, the cost of the accessories is more than the total cost of the whole kit...a great deal.
Redeka is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.