Mid-Air Accident on Weekend! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
RCC Contributor
I am: David A
Radio of choice:
spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 1
Re: Mid-Air Accident on Weekend!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have seen numerous spotters watching the plane for the pilot they are spotting for rather than letting the pilot know where the other planes are.
davida is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 7

Sorry to hear about your loss Ken. That always shakes you up to lose a good plane.

In Scale Aerobatics we often run two flight lines in contests and mid airs do unfortunately happen. According to our rule book they are generally considered "no fault" as flying in a three dimensional airspace things often happen so fast and unpredictably that it is hard to fault either pilot as they should be concentrating on their plane. The spotter has an important role but I can tell you that having been in two mid airs and having seen several others, it is often very challenging for the spotter to anticipate a collision in a three dimensional plane and at the speeds planes may pass each other.

That being said there is an expectation of sensible etiquette here. Neither pilot has to go to the other and admit fault but they should at least talk to each other and express regret. That does not mean finger pointing or someone having to assume blame for the incident, but the fact the other person made no attempt to at least express their regret is childish and simply bad attitude on their part.

I have to admit that within my own club their are people who I will fly with when they are in the air and others that I won't start my engine unless they are on the ground. There are many people who fly aimlessly with the plane in more control than they are and others who boldly fly aerobatics with total disregard for anyone else in the air. Unfortunately this also means that I don't fly at any of these large scale rally's anymore as there are just to many unpredictable individuals and I won't risk an expensive plane in these situations.

Sorry about the incident and glad you recovered some of the parts etc.
Bill Teeter
MAAC 5831 IMAC 3526
Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Murphy's Law #4 - If you fool around with a thing long enough it will break.
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17

Sorry to hear of this Ken. A mid air is devastating, I know. I fly IMAC with Bill Teeter and have witnessed mid air collisions and lost an aircraft to one. Wow, does it sting! In my instance both the other pilot and myself spoke afterwards and expressed regret, it's just the proper thing to do I believe. We shook hands and continue on as friends and competitors. Whenever there are several planes in the sky it seems the inevitable will occur. The only way to really avoid it is to stay home, but I'll never do that
Glad to hear you are able to recover some parts and I must admit manufacturers are very sympathetic and helpful when sending broken pieces in for repair, at least they were to me. DA, Horizon, Hitec, Smart Fly and Savox treated me very well indeed. The most important thing is to get back up in the air flying right away, and continue to enjoy flying and the camaraderie at events. After my crash I was floored by one of my friends that offered me his plane to continue flying. I accepted, flew the plane hard and enjoyed the weekend. Now, I just need a new plane. When I told my wife and whimpered on her shoulder she said, "no one got hurt right?" That's the most important thing, now go flying.
Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: Brian T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 2+

Total Props: 10

Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
What about Small claims court?
Over Model Airplanes?

Me thinks our judicial system has better things to do than mess with hobbyist.

Brian T.
It's All About Ballance
Rellic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
What about Small claims court?
I just asked a friend who is a lawyer and his response was as follows;

"Are we talking Americans here? In all seriousness, in a hobby such as this, it would be up to the plaintiff to prove there was malicious intent or gross negligence. Given the nature of the activity, aerobatics, multiple aircraft, high speed vs low speed aircraft, no defined flight plans, etc. good luck in proving either case."
Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights will make an airplane.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #16
RCC Contributor
I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 5

I guess no one here flys combat. Even the pilots cheer on a good hit. (sometimes)
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.