My first ALES experience at SOGGI - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5
My first ALES experience at SOGGI

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Last weekend, Saturday August 17, I attended my first ALES competition to see what it is all about. I read a lot about it and the rules are simple enough. This contest was run by SOGGI glider group in Hamilton area. In a nutshell, any electric glider can enter. Just have to climb to 200 meters, fly for 10 minutes ( ok you do have to find thermals to stay up for 10 minutes )and land on a target which has a 10m tape graduated in 1m intervals. Landing in the center will earn you extra 50 landing point bonus, graduated out to 0 points outside of the 10m circle. The only extra item you need is a height limiting device, most popular one made by Soaring Circuits CAM unit, that goes between your speed control and ECS and will shut your motor off at 200m or 30sec, whichever comes first. These units run approximately $65. You also need your MAAC membership which is required pretty well for any RC competition in Canada.
Any electric gliders from Radian to Gentle Lady to moldies like Supra qualify and can be equally competitive as it seems from results I have seen.
SOGGI glider group did a great job organizing this event run by Bob Hammett and Ann Tekatch who kept the score and kept the event moving. For interested newcomers without the Altitude limiting units who wanted to try the event, they provided a workaround where they test flew the gliders with altitude measuring unit. Then they calculated how long it took for that glider to reach 200m and that became their individual motor run. They really were willing to bent backwards to allow all interested people to try the ALES event.
I had my own unit and flew my electrified Airtronics Aquila and surprisingly, did well ending 3rd from 11 participants. The winner, Neville Newman and second finisher Ray Munro, both experienced, very good pilots, both flew electrified Gentle Ladies, actually one may have been the Spectra, which is just another version of Gentle Lady in my book.
I would encourage anyone even remotely interested in this kind of competition to really give it a try. It is great fun. There are ton of electric foamies out there and it is easy to practice for, just need the altitude unit or just guess the height for the start and practice your landings. It kind of spices up the glider experience. I would also encourage clubs to stage and advertise more of these events, very little equipment is required and it is fun. It will bring new blood to sailplane flying in general. After all, it is only a winch in a nose and a great practice.
Thanks again to the SOGGI group for a great day of glider fun.

Last edited by ddruck; 08-19-2013 at 01:36 PM.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: annte
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
Re: My first ALES experience at SOGGI

Thank you for the kind words, Dan! It was great to meet you and I hope you can join us again soon.

Our next contest is for non-powered gliders with wingspans of 100" or more. We call it our Big Bird Bash. If you don't have a glider that big, we will invoke the "but-it's-my-biggest-glider" rule and you're welcome to join us with your less-than-100" non-powered glider. Contest is Sunday, Sept 1st. I'm not sure if there is an entry fee - I will check and post info here.

Everyone - please come out and join in the fun. Resistance is futile!

Oh and you can fill out an application to join the League of Silent Flight while you're here and begin working on your Level I at the contest. I know the LSF's Canadian rep really well.

Ann Tekatch
annte is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: annte
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
Re: My first ALES experience at SOGGI

Our contest director has confirmed an entry fee of $10 for the Big Bird Bash contest with all funds collected being added to the $100 prize money already pledged by our club. There will be two classes: open and RES. Six rounds with task times of 5, 10, 10, 10, 10 and 15 minutes respectively. Winches & hi-starts will be available.
annte is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.