Workbench - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
RCC Contributor
I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 5
Re: Workbench

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Really a kitchen is nice. lots of outlets, nice countertop that is flat, running water, exhaust fan etc. I just use old desks from a work auction that have an arborite top, and use a release agent wax on top so the glues don't stick so much, and a power bar on the front. I got about 8 desks and use some in the garage for mounting vises etc too.
aspeed is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

Here is my work space MY OWN ROOM!!

used to have a Small 12U rack in the corner but i sold my dell servers UPS switches and stuff. Now i just have my Firewall & cisco switch in the room on the floor ( going to move it soon )

I bought 2 snap on bench power bars from costco they were 119$ each, awesome units too!

I'm soon moving my room around and making a Heli table. I have the plans and know exactly what i want so i can share them with others if need' b

THIS power bar,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-11%252008.32.55.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	214127  
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JR ss and 8103, FrSky Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 4

I'll echo the recommendation for plenty of illumination. You want to avoid any shadows on whatever you are working on. For the average workbench area, very likely two or three twin 48" fluorescent tube fixtures will be fine.
If you are looking to illuminate a larger area, check this guide in a woodworking forum

I agree the author that t8 flurescent tubes are the current sweet spot in terms of lumens/cost/variety of fixtures/colouring.

Kelvin colouring is a matter of personal taste... I like a "warmer" 3500k while other will prefer a cooler 5000k.

If you are doing building wings and other flight surfaces ensure a flat building top to avoid unplanned warps.

I use removeable plywood building boards onto which I've contact cemented 'ten-test' (similar to ceiling tiles, in accepting pins). If the board is long I make sure the board is flat via reinforcing battens. Because the board is moveable, I can build on it, then set it and its model part aside, freeing the benchtop for something else.

A flat working surface on the bench itself is desirable but takes some doing.
Some constructions are good - older, very heavy solid wood core doors, some Arborite sheeted on both sides tables, etc. (Check you local Habitat for Humanities store)
The traditional woodworking bench is made of solid wood timbers, typically laminated and initially handplaned flat, with the understanding that 5 years down the road a light handplaning will likely be necessary to restore flatness because "wood moves".
Even a smooth, heavy mdf surface may start off flat, but if the underlying supports are wood and not thoughtfully structured, the benchtop supports will move a bit and such a composite surface may sag over time.

If you want to also use your bench for a general workshop/woodworking bench, then you should add mass to the qualities you want to build in. You don't want to hand plane, a chisel, saw or hammer on a bench that is moving in response to your efforts.

An example of such a bench made with "big box store" 2 x construction grade stud material and hand tools can be found by googling "Bob and Dave's good, fast and cheap bench".

Wood finishes: basically you just don't want blobs of glue, etc. to stick to the surface so any readily available wood finish, eg. polyurethane, water or oil-based, is fine. If you build a bench of solid wood that you anticipate returning to flatness down the road by handplaning, you want a non-filming forming finish, a penetrating oil, such as BOILED linseed oil - google finishing with boiled linseed oil for application hints and the issue of fire safe disposable of cloth used to apply BLO.

good luck

michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
RCC Apprentice
I am: Gary Droppo

Total Props: 1

Do you have any friends? If so, may I suggest the following, as you should plan to accommodate your "technical advisors", a.k.a. hangars-on (pun intended). This can also keep them away from messing around with your stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	barinal.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	214226  

Last edited by deerslayer; 09-12-2013 at 09:32 AM.
deerslayer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
Level 1 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: ED E
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 12

thse power bars are awesome i have three one in my work tool trailer for cordless chargers and one in my shop plus one in the box still which will end up in my shop too when i figure out where i want i
a cord reel on ceiling or wall is good too
if I could save time in a bottle
Ed like shiny
blah blah
FUTABA 14MZ /18 mz

machzx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bob A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Originally Posted by Max View Post
My workshop has a workbench is built in the shape of a U, 2 feet wide, all along 3 walls of my workshop,
The work bench is set higher than table height, so that I can work on it while standing. If I get tired and want to sit, I have a couple of stools that I can sit on and still work on the bench comfortably

Walls have power outlets positioned above the workbench for easy and convenient access. I also have a 8 outlet switched power bar mounted under the workbench (at the front, not at the back) so that I can plug in whatever hand tools I need to use at the moment. The switch is good to have since I always switch off my outlet bar when leaving the room. This is good for safety reasons in case you leave the room and leave a soldering iron or glue gun plugged in.
On one side of the U is where all my power tools are. Bench Sander, Drill Press, Jigsaw and Bandsaw.

About 18” down from the ceiling is a 12” shelf that runs around the room in the shape of a U, matching that of the work bench. I store a lot of stuff up there, either original boxes, or if I store stuff in bulk (ie I have a box of props, a box of spinners, a box of servos..) I label each box as appropriate to make finding stuff easier. Lately I have been buying those plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store and putting stuff in there. The boxes are transparent and a reasonable size, and helps you find stuff since you can see into the box a lot easier than u can a cardboard The boxes stack 2 high and long end fore/aft, so you have a lot of room for a lot of boxes.

Under the workbench, I have another 12” shelf running around the perimeter about 1/2 way between the floor and top-underside of the bench. The shelf holds more storage, mostly the long model kit boxes and balsa boxes.

On the 2 walls that I don’t have my power tools, I have pegboard mounted. I hang all kinds of stuff on the pegboard. If you build a pegboard wall, PAINT IT. Nothing uglier than those beige toned pegboards. I painted mine white to match the wall and it looks so much nicer and neater.
On the side of room that does not have a bench against it, I have a regular folding table to put stuff on if there is no room on the benches… and there is ALWAYS no room on the benches…LOL

Lighting: You can never have enough lighting. It makes a huge difference. I prefer to have each of my lights powered by its own switch, so that I can turn on one or all, depending on how much light I need or where in particular I am working in the room.

For entertainment, I have a radio and 19” TV
Like this? Great minds think alike I guess. Obviously I missed the auto-clean option!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3600.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	214362   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3601.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	214363   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3602.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	214364  
fixer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Level 1 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Alan H
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 3

Originally Posted by fixer View Post
Like this? Great minds think alike I guess. Obviously I missed the auto-clean option!!!

That looks pretty clean to me!! Mine is a disaster at the present time....
Did you see that........I actually meant to do that...
Scrappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Brady Z
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0

Awesome ideas guys, thanks! I got a possession date of my house today, Oct 24! We'll see how fast I can turn the basement into a shop.
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Phil H.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1

How can you guys watch TV and build at the same time?
fledermaus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

Originally Posted by fledermaus View Post
How can you guys watch TV and build at the same time?
some use the big tv screen for their computer. perfect for heli built manuals..
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.