Old 09-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: chris
Radio of choice:
spectrum Dx8 with telemetry
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 1
Re: Crossing the border

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
That makes sense to me thanks for the reply.
Fly them, Crash them, Rebuild them....
MAAC # 87021
CLEGGER is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Jason U
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 9

Any time.
MAAC# 32586 Buddy Codes: All my buddy-codes on
London Wind Mapper Weather
uberjay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John M
Radio of choice:
FrSky Taranis X9E
# of RCs: sh!

Total Props: 11

Hi Chris, there are a number of planes that are shipped in boxes considered "oversize" and not deliverable to Canada. When I bought my first Sebart Mig29 {used and therefore with wings glued on} I had to get a workmate in Dallas to cut the wings off with her best kitchen knife so that it would fit in a "deliverable to Canada" box. It's really a case of finding a way to make things work. I also have a thing about denying UPS there hostage fees at the border but that's just me.

When I arrived home and checked the mailbox, there was my new Schebeler 90mm fan, motor & ESC . Could life get any better ?
knit one, pearl one, drop one ... shyte
ogopogo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 7

A couple of other thoughts. Some US companies only use the dreaded UPS or perhaps FedEx and won't ship USPS. If you want to avoid the hugely inflated brokerage fees then shipping to a depot like CBI and going across and picking up the parcel makes sense. Also, as has already been pointed out, USPS has size limitations and many large planes exceed what USPS will carry.

Also may make a difference re speed. If you need something like new wings for a large plane and don't want to wait weeks for the package to clear CBSA customs exam then quick shipping to at US drop point and then picking it up can mean you get your purchase a week or two quicker.

Yes CBI does charge oversize fees for large packages but they also will hold your packages for weeks until you pick them up. They encourage people not to leave things more than a month just because they have a large volume and having to store things indefinitely takes up space.

For specific situations I find CBI in Niagara Falls, NY provides a terrific service and they are really nice folks whose business depends on Canadians. I bring all my large planes up through them now and they have always treated me great. They are also a UPS depot and I have actually shipped packages to other parts in the US through them, for instance if I had a damaged engine that I needed a quick turn around on or a transmitter that needed a quick repair. Far faster than shipping from Canada. And often cheaper.

I happen to use CBI because of my proximity to Niagara but admittedly it is an hour and a half drive each way. There are similar depots providing this service in other locations across the border.

Re the border and customs, yes, having to pay tax on shipping always pisses me off but I have to say that I usually just state a value and I have never had anyone actually look at an invoice, they have always done their calculation based on the number I offer them. That has been my experience.
Bill Teeter
MAAC 5831 IMAC 3526
Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Murphy's Law #4 - If you fool around with a thing long enough it will break.

Last edited by Billpilotca; 09-11-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
Lake Flyer
RCC Contributor
I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: To

Total Props: 1

Everything Bill says. I find it's just way cheaper and faster to ship to the U.S. + I fill up with gas while I am there. It's usually .15-.20 cents cheaper a liter.
Whatever you do bring your invoice, it makes life way easier and I have never been charged GST/PST on shipping.
Lake Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:39 AM   #16
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

On a trip I picked up a side mirror shipped from Rockauto for $40 (Canada about $200), installed in Utah for $40 (Canada over $100). Tires for the car $400US versus 50% more in Canada, same brand same tire.
I sometimes make a mini-holiday with a trip to the US. 2x$60 hotel off-season free hot breakfast (Canada never less than $100 each night no breakfast). Power supplies and Chargers from Hobby King US to US pickup sometimes about $7 shipping versus $30 from China to Canada. Gas $3.79 US gal versus $4.90(3.78 litres).
Just got some four strokes NIB for much much less than the price in Canada and will need to pick them up on my next trip.

ALL of the above posts reasons!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:10 AM   #17
RCC Contributor
I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 4

A few years ago I ordered a plane from Nitro Planes, It was around $130.00 . It never arrived as the owner cancelled the order. The shipping ,bondsman and related duties came over $300.00 mostly because of oversize. Had it shipped to a flying friend in a bordering state and went to pick it up. When I crossed the border going down I stopped at Cdn. customs to find what groceries I could bring back and about the plane? When I picked up the plane there was no invoice and I knew there was trouble coming. Went back to customs and told the agent I had no invoice for the plane, unless it was in the box. We opened the box, nothing. But I had a RC Models mag. and it had the price in it. The same as I told them, so after a brief talk between two agents I paid GST and was let into Canada. Cost of trip was gas for 250 miles round trip. Suggest stopping at customs on way down and make an inquiry about anything if there is time and they are not busy. The last plane I brought back I went in and told customs I was going for a plane and wanted to know the duties it cost $300.00 they gave me a total and I left. When I came back customs asked "How much did you spend in USA today" I told him around $60.00 meals and gas. I was let through with no fees. LUCKY DAY
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darth
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4

Tommy, having a magazine with the ad for what you're bringing back is a sure-fire way of not having the customs staff make a SWAG or guestimate as to the value of the purchase. Did that on my last trip to the UK -- picked up a kit at the South East Model Center that was featured in their ad in a UK magazine. "I thought it would have been much more" was their response on seeing the ad.

Less so is doing eBay auctions. Is the printed copy of the page a fake or not...

I did one eBay purchase for $75 and found out that it had been evaluated as $500 as there was no declaration of value, only what it was. My mistake was refusing to accept the parcel, thinking that it would go back to sender. MY aunt who worked in the post office said that I should have paid the duty and taxes, then appealed and waited for the refund. Was out the price of the kit and shipping with nothing to show for it and no recourse through PayPal as I'd refused the package when delivered.
strikemaster is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #19
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

You produce an invoice by printing off your paypal or even just the listing related to the deal. Haven't had a problem yet. The receiver in the states strongly suggests you print your invoice before coming into the USA because a lot of packages don't contain one.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30

A heads up on another aspect of crossing the border (Canada into the States). I'm fairly new to the motorhome scene and we were hassled pretty aggressively about some of the food that we brought for a weekend trip to an IMAC contest! Bottom line is the rules can change on a monthly basis and it is best to not bring any food over the border! Stop at the first Walmart after the border and stock up! I understand the reasoning behind the concern by the US border guys but they are such a$$holes about it
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

border , customs , duty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.