Tarot Iron Man 650 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jim N

Total Props: 2
Tarot Iron Man 650

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The first photo is of my FPV Quad, this frame is sold by RCHeliCanada.com and has served its purpose very well. Even counting the several times I got that couple inches too low and ended upside down in the hay field. To me, FPV is not flying high and looking around but flying as low as I can and most times have the right stick all the way forward. My FPV Quad runs Naza/GPS and weight complete with Eagle Tree OSD weights 1370g without battery. Which I use a 4s 4500mah that gives me 10 to 12 minutes, but most times I am ready to land around 8 minutes.

Next two photo's are of HK Scorpion Y which runs with the KK2 board, it weights 1345g and most times I fly it on 3s 3000mah which gives me 6 plus minutes. The really nice thing about the Scorpion is it folds the two arms back so it takes less room to transport it to the field. Now maybe some don't have that problem but with the SUV, two heli's one 450 and one 500, one airplane, Tx case, Battery Case which I always keep the batterys in that go to the field with me. One case that is my ground station for FPV, then the FPV quad that takes more room since it is of course spread arms out.

I decided to get a Quad to use for FPV that would fold up, plus that I could use 3s batteries since I have more of those than I do the 2 4s that I fly on the presend FPV Quad. I decided to get the Tarot Iron Man 650. Since I fly heli's in both 450 size and 500 size, I have been replacing parts with Tarot parts rather than Hobby King, and been quite happy with the quality of them. I also wanted to end up with this as my FPV Quad so decided to pay very close attention to weight. Now could have gone with a non-folding frame that would be lighter, but the whole excerise here is to have a folding Quad that makes transporting it easier.

To start with, the frame as build with no mod's weighed in at 513.8 which is 37.8g higher than the 476 weight that is listed on Hobby-Wing.com. Since my FPV Quad fly's good on the RC TIMER 4215 650kv motors was going to use another set of them for this quad. I checked the weight, they say it is 73g, but if you put the prop adapter on, leave the wire leads on, it comes out at 94.1g, not much but, with all 4 motors that is 84g more of added weight. To replace them, ordered up 4 E-Maxx 2213-935kv that weigh in at 58g ready to bolt on.

Same with ESC's, was going to use the HobbyWing Platium 30A but decided that was over kill so ordered up 4 of the ZTX Spiders 20A to use. I did put on two battery carriers so I could use two 3S batteries which I have several of. I have flown the Tarot Quad now several times and more than happy with it, it is rock solid if I let it hover by itself and with using two 3S that are 2800MAH, that gives me 5600MAH and have flown up to 10 minutes with it and the Eagle Tree OSD shows FPV still runing in the safe area of the batteries. I also cut out new motor mounts since the tarot ones seem to have an extra length for ESC and I moved my ESC's as close to battery as possible. The photo shows the Tarot motor mount on the left, middle one I made out of 6061 and the right one is HK 1.5 carbon, it is only 0.6g lighter than the 6061. In the end, ready for batteries the Tarot comes in at 1185g.

All and all, very happy with the Tarot, and love the fact it folds up which makes hauling it to the field as well as not taking so much room in my work area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FPV1.JPG
Views:	759
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	215339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Y-Copter1.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	215340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Y-Copter5.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	215341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transformed_P9083719.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	215342  

Name:	Transformed_P9103720.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	215343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tarot One.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	215344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tarot Folded.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	215345  
Located in Sunny BC
JamesBC is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: Alex Fagundes
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
Re: Tarot Iron Man 650

Nice! I like the motor mounts you made. Its a shame the original tarot mounts don't allow for 4 screws on the smaller motors. I plan to cut off all the extra carbon material (part that holds the ESC's or whatever that was for).

I Just got my 680 in the mail and already had a 650. I also ordered a bunch of spare parts and upgrades from Tarots website. I purchase the newer motor mounts for the hex as they use 4 screws to hold the mount on and you don't need to drill holes in the boom (TL68B25). All my wiring will run through the booms.

My plan is to save the motor mounts the 680 came with and combine them with what the 650 already has to make an X8 configuration on the 650. something the new plastic mounts can't do. although trying to fit 6 motor wires through a 16mm shaft will be a challenge.

I noticed Tarot also has an upgrade to the folding legs that allow them to lock with a latch so a hard landing doesn't overcome the normal clamper lock.

So far, I'm nowhere near done my builds but am pretty happy with the quality. I really like how much you can customize them. The floor in my studio is basically covered in Tarots and spare parts. lol.

And I agree with you, the actual weight is heavier than what they claim. Just a rough guess but after I've finished the 680 with add-on parts, the tarot gimbal, and all the other junk, its takeoff weight may approach 3kg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TL68B25.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	215419   Click image for larger version

Name:	TL68B24.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	215420  
imported_fusion is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jim N

Total Props: 2

Do like the way it locks the legs up. I fold mine up then use a velcro strap to hold the sides and legs together.

Let me know how much you weigh when all done.
Located in Sunny BC
JamesBC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: calone76
Radio of choice:
JR XP9303 w/many modules
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

I have a Iron Man 650 as well. Do you have any idea where I can find a transport & storage box for my quad ?
Tried Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Rona, but nothing that can fit the folded size of my Tarot.
Fly below 90 meters and away 8km than ANY airport
Fly with HAM licence and have a spotter if use goggles
Don't fly above people, buildings or beaches and respect others privacy!
calone76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.