General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-27-2014, 05:16 AM   #51
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Hank U.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Total Props: 9
Re: twin engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Most important, throttle up SLOWLY when taking off!
MAAC # 51283
hitechflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #52
alex sorensen
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Alex S
Radio of choice:
futaba 7c
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

A slight twist in the wing could also cause it.
alex sorensen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #53
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 10

Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Here is something I would try. Take it up a couple mistakes high and trim the rudder for straight flight. Now do another pass, same direction(to cancel wind drift effects) but with power off and see if it still tracks straight. If the rudder trim changes with power off then the problem is engine torque/side thrust angle. If it tracks true power off or on then there is a misalignment in the airframe.

I built a trainer once that took about 3 degrees left rudder trim to get it to track straight. I measured it from every possible angle and never did figure out why.
Yup ,, looked at that... had her trimmed well for half throttle cruise.. then up to full ,, and throttle cut on a landing approach with mid flap.. tracked straight except for the minor rudder corrections for wind drift on approach.. now here is another funny thing.. after I land.. you look at the fuse.. the right side will be plastered with bug guts... the left side nothing.. indicating that the prop wash is coming off to the left when looking forward from the tail.. there is nothing in the way of the left engine so the air just washes off.. but the right side has that big fuse in the way to deflect the air down the side.. this would bring me back to the idea of this "P" factor effect.. and the other thing is that once she breaks ground effect ,, flies like it is on rails..

Originally Posted by hitechflyer View Post
Most important, throttle up SLOWLY when taking off!
Yup... got that one figured out by the second flight.. go don't dare take this thing full throttle.. it will turn left and depart ,, much like my little skybolt.. 40 size airframe with 91 engine.. you better be holding right rudder and don't even think about much over half before she is well in the air..

the wings where assembled in a jig and engine mounts clamped to a straight edge.. so everything was built straight.. maybe too straight.. and checked with digital incident meters.. two of them.. It is straight..
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.