Hero 3+ - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Alex Fagundes
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
Hero 3+

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Guess I should have put this on the FPV thread but most people that own flying lawnmower's either have a gopro or hope to get one....

On that note, check out their site. The new 3+ is out. Same camera footprint, smaller housing...and a few other goodies including a faster wifi module that may improve that crappy video lag on an otherwise lovely iPhone app..

I sold my Hero black today realizing the swarm may not have caught on. new version is in da mail! cost me $50 more...

Yes I'm a gadget -----, but in my defense I make coffee from home and drive a hybrid Lots a money left over!
imported_fusion is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: Alex Fagundes
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
Re: Hero 3+

Just an update. I haven't had much time to do any serious filming on the new camera but I did go to New Brunswick for a week over thanksgiving and take a few shots. I also got a chance to put this little guy through its paces (conditions wise) and see if the improvements made my crazy life a little easier.

My impressions of the new camera are that it's much more refined than the old one. For once I was not all frantic about battery life and conserving shots for fear I would run out at critical moments. The camera is lighter and smaller; which in the case that you want to use the housing, it's not as big a deal as the old one was for weight critical applications. The housing is easier to open and close as well. Superview is awesome and I could see model airplanes having this strapped near the tail and getting a great shot of the whole model. You could mount a small boom on a multirotor and finally intentionally film the props at play (All of them). The wifi has much less delay and the range is better. The signal may interfere with our 2.4Ghz radios but it would be a cheap way to do close range FPV if it works. Delay is now only about a half second.

I can't waite to finish my multirotor's off so I can get some aerial footage.

Disclaimer: This video has nothing to do with multirotors.lol. only that I wish I had mine there that week as New Brunswick is beautiful. Quality of video wise I find the improvements less noticeable, but all the footage in this video was literally shot with 3 battery charges and I had about 3 hrs of footage and the camera was on standby in wifi mode for hours to get the shots.

If I had to give someone advice, I'd say the price savings on the Hero 3(old style) are not worth getting considering the advantages the + has.

I fly kites....and although they are not remote control, I did have to use a remote to control the camera. And it works better on the new model

imported_fusion is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: MikeC
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 41

Awesome vid!!!!
mikekimc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: JP D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 3

Great video, Shippagan is an hour 1/2 from where I live. Beautiful coastal area.
NinjaToes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Thanks for the update.
My hero 2 is getting old and I could use a smaller/lighter recorder on my machines.
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15

I picked up a 3+ but haven't had much time to use it. The video I've shot is out of focus at a distance compared to my 3. I haven't tried still pics but it shows up better with stills. Here is a thread about the problem. A manual refocus is what I'm going to do.

Here are a couple of pics, snapped from 1080 video, from my GP3BE and GP3+. Can you tell which is which? They were not recorded on the same day but at the same subject.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GP3BE.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	684.9 KB
ID:	221684   Click image for larger version

Name:	GP3+.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	221685  

Last edited by buffythesaint; 11-06-2013 at 03:48 PM.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.