The role of the Scale Aerobatics Committee - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Old 10-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
Re: The role of the Scale Aerobatics Committee

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well its official. The former Scale Aerobatics Chairperson, Isabel Deslauriers has stepped down for personal reasons and I being the former one am now serving as your interim Chairperson.
First I want to thank Isabel for her incredible work in promoting IMAC, hosting a dedicated internet forum (Penelope RC), collaborating on the World IMAC team selection and being a contest director. It is a formidable task and I applaud her (and her husband Ray who is also instrumental) in helping promote this. I wish them all the best and hope we see them on the contest circuit and the world cup team next year.

I have decided to run for the chief position for the upcoming year if you will have me. I believe that this is a time for a major shift in direction for scale aerobatics in Canada and some of my ideas I have previously stated here on this thread.
I continue of course to support IMAC in Canada and believe it to be the best aerobatic competition format in the world and I will continue to participate in it, but for the majority of people who fly RC, they will never have any intention to fly competitively for various reasons.

However I think that almost everyone wants to improve their flying and perhaps try some aerobatics that look like what they are seeing at competitions As well the majority would like to learn more about what their radios can do to improve their flying, as well as properly trimming their planes to fly in a manner that reduces workload. Perhaps some want to even learn how to read Aresti. Many want to entertain one day events. Finally there are those on the fence thinking about entering an actual IMAC contest but dont know where to start. To me this is what the Scale Aerobatics committee should work on and this will be my focus if people feel I am on the right track. Feel free to share your thoughts here!

Lee Prevost
Interim Scale Aerobatics Chairman
MAAC 9551L-IMAC 3705
Former SA Chairman
Team Great Hobbies
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014

Last edited by LEE; 10-09-2013 at 09:04 AM.
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Gary R.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 5

Thank you very much indeed for being BRAVE enough to take this on again.
I couldn't be more in agreement with your thoughts expressed here.

IMAC in all it's glory is a wonderful program which will, and should, continue as the competitive outlet for Scale Aerobatics. The first ever World Championships coming up next year attest to the success of this program!

For the 'rank and file' of club members everywhere, the word 'contest' chills them to the bone, and they run away, never to be seen again. This is the reality which we will never change. The 80/20 rule applies: most do not want to compete, even though they would love to, so they 'compete' by watching us few have at it in IMAC events, etc.

The thoughts of holding less competitive 'fun fly' events to advance the aerobatics world to the other 80% seems to be the only avenue available. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!

Stetsons are facing this dilemma by looking at an Aerobatics Fun Fly this year.
We are thinking of making it non-competitive, highly interactive with the coaches, and an overall learning experience in aerobatic flying. MY thoughts (I confess to being the guilty one trying to dream up how to do this) are leaning towards including the Great Hobbies Challenge event assuming it will be held, and serious coaching for Basic/Sportsman sequences for those who are wishing to fly them.
I want to see some simple coaching on Aircraft Setup and Radio Programming included as well. Our local experience here has shown that many folks could benefit from being shown how to set up a low and medium rate of control throws, along with appropriate expo settings.

The conclusion of this 'fun fly' concept is that we will then invite these participants to continue their journey into aerobatics by coming out and flying with our Aerobatics Interest Group in the Stetsons club...we are a bunch of aero-nuts trying to learn how to do this stuff...and we work on it weekly, so the exercise is ongoing. This, I think, is the hidden key to it all...having an ongoing support group they can attach to for further development.

We need to get this Fun Fly passed in our coming club elections and Activities Calendar, so this is not yet cast in stone, but that's my thinking on the subject as of today.

I support your thoughts Lee, and wish you all success sir!

Gary Robertson,

Last edited by garyr1; 10-09-2013 at 08:03 PM.
garyr1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
Radio of choice:

Hey Jim:
How are you doing?
Lets see where this all goes.

I'm sold on IMAC, and at the same time, very sad to see the reluctance of so many of my club mates to actively try it on...but the 'compete' aura is all-pervasive, I believe.
These club members see us IMAC'ers as an elitist group all flying $6K Carden 40% aircraft, etc, etc...wish it wasn't so, but them's the facts, as I read it...(also wish I WAS flying a 40% Carden, but that's an entirely different topic!)
Old 10-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16

Hey Gary

I'm Fair to Midland.... Almost Penetang!

Well the same can be said for any part of the hobby. There are some guys that fly nothing but discount overseas foamy stuff and are quite content with that. There are other guys that can affoard or even can't but yet do and want to fly the bling blingest thing out there, even though some don't have the skill to do so!

I think you will find this in just about any hobby/sport where there is compettion. Unfortunately there are some that feel unless they spend thousands of dollars on equipment they can't be competitive. Yet I've seen guys in Basic show up with a Twist 40 and fly the pants off of some other guy with a 6k 40% airplane.

Besides I' m not worried too much about wining, I seldom place in the top 3 at contests unless there are three or less in Sportsman. If I was that concerned I would have quit years ago.

I like the friendships and camaraderie I have developed over the last 9 years of flying IMAC. Prior to IMAC I was a loaner when it came to flying. Sure I'd go to the odd fun fly and scale ralley but mostly I would just go out and fly on my own at the local club field. I also like the discipline of having a distinct purpose each and everytime I go up to fly. Ihave been modelling for 40 years flying everything from Gliders to Scale Warbirds and about 9/10 years ago I was getting bored with RC and was going to quit when I discovered IMAC.

All it takes is to try one contest. I flew my first contest with a GP40 Trainer with an Enya 56 4 stroke in it. Sure when I pulled into the parking lot on that faithfull Saturday morning, as i was pulling out my trainer amongst all the other guys setting up 35 & 40% airplanes I thought to myself "What the heck are you dioing here with this rinky dink .40 size trainer and almost packed everything up.

Then I thought "well I drove all this way, I'm here and what's the alternative?...... Go home and cut grass!

I received lots of help and advice over the next two days while flying from the likes of Bob Hudson , Randy Brown, Mike Clemmens, Tony Kregg and Ivan Christensen. On Sunday during the last round I was onthe last manouver a spin and was attempting to put the GP40 Trainer into a spin. It was wobling all over the place but would not stall. Suddenly one of the judges calls out "Jim, Just fly through it, she hasn't be able to stall all weekend, it's a trainer". We all burst out laughing and i just landed and took the Zero!

When I left on Sunday that was it I was HOOKED! I've NEVER looked back.

Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Last edited by scaleguy; 10-10-2013 at 06:29 AM.
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
Radio of choice:

Great story and sooo true about being bitten by the IMAC bug.
Now how do we 'infect' the rank and file with interest in aerobatics?
Maybe some of this one day easy-breezy stuff will work.

Take care.
...and work on those spins, dude!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.