The never ending engine thread, East-West - Page 1102 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Old 06-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #11011
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12
Re: The never ending engine thread, East-West

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Maybe they'll send me back my carb!

The second guy I talked to there was a little more forthcoming as to what they had experienced with engines the same vintage as mine. The two things he mentioned was the connecting rod, and the fuel pooling issues. He almost seemed shocked it hadn't been sent in earlier!

This is a first for me, I'm usually the guy that gets to twist the wrenches after someone else has had a go at it! I like a challenge!!!!!

So "IF" it needs a new con rod, I wonder if they'll take the crank apart or just put a new crank and rod in it? The pooling issue seems to be a result of the vacuum hose being into the crankcase. Sounds like they move that to the outside of the reed block.

As parts aren't available from DA (at least to most end-users) who knows what that cost is. Its in their court now.

If the price for a running engine returned to me is more than 50% of a new engine, they can scrap it, but I want the carb back!
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #11012
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrum View Post
Actually Dale, I'm not trying to stir it up!! Honest. I've always been a fan of DA service yet never really understood why... Always takes 3-4 weeks and cost $$ for a warrantee repair, yet I've caught myself praising their service.... Was just asking others why that is that we say their service is exceptional!!

I've found myself (and seen others) get their DA back and it'll show other parts replaced for free and I think "wow - that's incredible they'd do that". Perhaps that's why I think their service is good?? Not sure!!
O.K.
Tonight we are going to be a little more serious (?).

I like the DA's I have, and have had.

We work hard enough for our money. I truly wish everyone success, and joy from their hobby. I have had a better time than I imagined earlier this year.

Just packing up the Bus for a trip down to Lougheed's Fun-Fly (1hr). I plan on a few flights to get my photo's for the "National Bi-Plane Event". Here on R/C Canada.

-Dale-

(paint drying on SukTwo)
Old 06-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #11013
BansheeBoy
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Jeff.S

Total Props: 10

Eye you really like your carb. Must be the lucky carb. Lol

Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #11014
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

I have a special project for it, if the DA thing doesn't work out.

Seeing it rained today, I think I'll have time to head up to Kindersley on Saturday. A few guys are coming out from Toon Town to get everyone up to speed on the "Wings" program. I don't have mine so....... maybe they won't let me ever fly again!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #11015
wingburner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Can Fly View Post
I have a special project for it, if the DA thing doesn't work out.

Seeing it rained today, I think I'll have time to head up to Kindersley on Saturday. A few guys are coming out from Toon Town to get everyone up to speed on the "Wings" program. I don't have mine so....... maybe they won't let me ever fly again!
Taking the test with your 200L powered 40% Sbach?
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #11016
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

Nope! That one has a warped wing! But it will have to be a gasser, no glow fuel left!!!!!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #11017
wingburner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrum View Post
Actually Dale, I'm not trying to stir it up!! Honest. I've always been a fan of DA service yet never really understood why... Always takes 3-4 weeks and cost $$ for a warrantee repair, yet I've caught myself praising their service.... Was just asking others why that is that we say their service is exceptional!!

I've found myself (and seen others) get their DA back and it'll show other parts replaced for free and I think "wow - that's incredible they'd do that". Perhaps that's why I think their service is good?? Not sure!!
Perhaps the exemplary service was from years back Trevor when they first started. It was the best in the business then and for a lot of years.

With the influx of Chinese engines, and supposed readily available parts for them perhaps the word "service" has taken a different stand for "some"!

A lot of people won't or can't service a 2 stroke engine and really like the choice of a top manufacturer, where they can send their engines back and have them returned all fixed, usually at a minimal cost.

I suppose exemplary service too some is being able to grab parts from anywhere and fix the engine themselves in a few days and they're off.

However I do believe these other manufacturers had too offer this service or sink..JMO of course

Today I think that the service overall is fairly even all across the board for whichever way you want to go about it!

I somehow feel this whole question is leading up too GP and the 123 engine replacement. It was definitely service to the point we haven't seen before. Would someone else have gone too that length? Hard to tell, but for most no!

However, the engine had issues and he had to fix it, or that engine alone would have put him under! So Kudo's too him and when the time comes it's definitely on my short list.

There boys...first one to j?:ump into the firepit....still looking for something to adhere Sticker #3 too...
Old 06-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #11018
wingburner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz

Quote:
Nope! That one has a warped wing! But it will have to be a gasser, no glow fuel left!!!!!
Damn eh?

So you have to wait for DA's exemplary service....10 years old and fixed for free!!!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #11019
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingburner View Post
Taking the test with your 200L powered 40% Sbach?
Quote:
Brent, you have a 40% Sbach? COOL!

-Dale-
Old 06-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #11020
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

I see where Pilot has their 42% Edge for $1299! When everyone was so impressed with Hanger 9's 3.1M Sukhoi at $1350.

-Dale-

(second coat drying on firewall/carb box)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.