Some info and suggestion about Magnum engines - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 10-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Yang miao
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Some info and suggestion about Magnum engines

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi, everybody, welcome there and see this little article. As you know, the Magnum engines are kind of "carzy", I an gonna tell you how to deal with those problems.
maybe you have heard about ASP, and SC, well, in fact ,Magnum ASP and SC belong to a same chinese company. the sale ASP in china, and Magnum in US and CA. as for quality, normally , Magnum is better than ASP.
If you want to buy a OS or saito engine, you probably knew the quality of that type which you want to buy, but for Magnum, you have no idea, there are parts of Magnum engines work well and easy to adjust, and they work as good as OS! but unfortunately ,another part , not so good...maybe easy to extinguish, or maybe no adling. well, you dont know what kind of thing you gonna buy ,take a chance ..
In china, we summary the quality of ASP, and we find that some types of ASP are better than average, Which means you have more chance to buy a good quality ASP(Magnum), and some types are always shows some problems. according to, We found that 2 stroke .46 are the best 2 stroke engine of Magnum, and 4 stroke .61 are the best 4 stroke engine of Magnum. and also , we found that 4 stroke .70 always have some ploblems, only few of owner said their .70 works well.
And, we also found some common problems of Magnum. 1,they are more weight and provide less power as the same size OS. 2,Oil needle are really hard to adjust especially the 2 strokes. 3,less impression , espeaially 4 strokes. and finilly, short life time. well the fact is you can solve problem 1...but as for 2,the best way to solve this problem is change a carbureter,like OS's. sometimes ,a better carbureter can totally change the quality of a Magnum. but if you dont have a suitable one, that is a problem, but remember dont touch Idle mixture until you are 100% sure you can make it works better. about impression, I have no idea, some people change the spring of valves,they use YS and OS 's spring. it works, but it doesnt help a lot. as for life time,unfortunately, we can do is noly a half price of OS after all.
Anyway, ASP or magnum is definitely not good for beginner. My first engine is a ASP 2S 52,and I am trying so hard to forget about experience with that engine.....

thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130323_125429.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	640.1 KB
ID:	219550  
ultra is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 5
Re: Some info and suggestion about Magnum engines

I think in the last five years or so they are a little better than in their formative years. OS and T Tiger had some nasty teething problems in the first ten years or so too. TT still is a bit sketchy with some tolerances even now. OS is very good though now. A first engine is always a learning experience too, especially if there is a nagging problem.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Gary R.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 5
Re: Some info and suggestion about Magnum engines

I picked up two Magnums while in California a few years back.
Their 2 stroke 46 spent a year and a bit roaring around in a 46 size Twist. Good power match. It is a great little engine with a bad carb and cheap ball bearings... carb leaks and hard to tune right. My SECOND replacement set of bearings now installed! I made the mistake of taking the old ones in and asking my local bearing house to replace with same-same. Bad idea! Get good to really good replacement bearings.
I need an OS 46 carb to turn it into a gem. Someday I'll find one.
For the very low cost, it's been fun to experiment and see what you get. It ain't dead yet, either...still great compression, so there's life left...

The other Magnum is an FS 90, and is in very light duty, putt-putting around in an 84" 1/5 scale Piper Cub. The power could be better, agreed, but it's actually kinda scale-like on this Cub....grunts to get over the top in a loop from a cruise speed start, and totally runs out of pull on a hammer upline, so that's really authentic!
It is installed inverted, and after adding a Sullivan on-board glow set up to come on at 1/3 throttle and less, it is extremely reliable in the air.

Summary comment on Magnum from my limited experience: Cheap. Fun if you like engine work. Not fun if you want OS style performance.
garyr1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.