Help deciding on first electric motor - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Nandish P.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Help deciding on first electric motor

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all,

My team and I are looking to design a new plane for the Aero SAE design competition this year. However this is also the first year we will be building an electric powered plane as opposed to nitro. I was wondering if any of you had some insight to what motor might be best suited to our needs.

Relevant Limitations/Parameters
-1000W Power limit (limiter installed between ESC and Battery)
-4-cell Li-Po battery with minimum 4000mAh capacity
-Plane at max payload will weigh ~25lbs with a wing span in the neighbourhood of 2.5m

It looks like we'll need a motor that can run at 14.8V(4s battery) and 70A in order to reach the 1000W ceiling. I believe the deciding factor may come down to kv and brand reputation. I'm not really sure what kv is most appropriate. has some options I thought might be good

NTM Prop Drive 50-50
Recommended 4-6 cells and max current of 90A.(even if this is burst current, continuous should be close to 70A?) It is also lighter than the Turnigy series they have there.

There is also the NTM Prop Drive 42-48
This motor however is just within our requirements. Max 70A current. Does not specify burst or continuous and since we will be pushing the performance of these motors to the max, we want to get as close to 70A continuous current draw as possible to make sure we stay airborne after taking off. has a few other motors I'd like to consider.

Gens Ace BL4850
This one has a bit of a lower kv than the NTM motors. But that should be fine as long as we find the right prop?

Exceed RC Rocket 4120
This one seems to be a decent match. 65A continuous. recommended 4s battery.

T-Motor AT3530 or AT4120
Both are similar @70A, one is a 550kv motor, the other is 700kv

If you know of any other brands we should consider or places to shop let me know.

Thanks a lot for the help. Much appreciated!
AeroHLG is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Phil H.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1
Re: Help deciding on first electric motor

There is a program called Motocalc that will help you sort out your power system. The SAE competition puts your plane kind of outside the normal parameters for hobby RC. Most people would consider 1000W for 25 lbs grossly underpowered! This will make the choice of prop very important, and you need to consider the prop and motor together.
fledermaus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: David C
Radio of choice:
MC-20 MX-20 X9D+ X12S
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 44
Re: Help deciding on first electric motor

Scorpion motors are some of the most efficient around, they are worth a look.
No Bounce-No Play The one who dies with the most toys wins!
MC-20 MX-20 Taranis X9DPlus HORUS
Friends don't let friends fly Spektrum!
Electric flying is pretty much seeing how close to a dead short you can run without setting it on fire.

davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.