DLG/HLG Gliders Thread - Page 14 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #131
Giodog2000
RCC Apprentice
 
I am: Gio
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Montreal

Feedback: 0 / 0%
Posts: 40
Total Props: 0
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread


       Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
WOW! DLG is really dying here. Sad!
Giodog2000 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:15 AM   #132
FabFlight
RCC Junior Contributor
 
I am: Fabien
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saint-Remi, QC
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 4

Feedback: 0 / 0%
Posts: 117
Total Props: 0
I bought a Libelle dlg last year. Altought I think it's a great teaching platform, I got bored with 30 seconds flights. Havent flown it this year.
FabFlight is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #133
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor
 
I am: Dan D.
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PICKERING, ONT
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Feedback: 34 / 100%
Posts: 1,332
Total Props: 5
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giodog2000 View Post
WOW! DLG is really dying here. Sad!
I did not see much action in Toronto area either this year.
I guess it is a price issue and lack of commitment. In our club there are several members, including me, who have DLG's but mostly we fly ALES and TD here, although we have some serious DLG fliers I have not seen many of them out this year, at least at our field. The rest of the people, see it as novelty, for them, requiring sizable cash outlay, seems like complicated tasks competition program, to me, and need for certain level of health. Local glider clubs seem to have fairly high age groups here and spin tosses do not agree with aging knees and hips.
I guess the largest disappointments are the available gliders. The excellent machines are over $800, mostly $1500, the cheap intro machines are advertised well, like the Libelle, FabFlight mentioned, are ok for a few flights but they really are poor performers in general and get boring quickly, unless you live in endless, powerful, low lift world. One option is used, higher performance machines, I have one of those. Also the repair rate is quite high.
So I guess this sport needs new, young to middle age enthusiastic people to get it going in all parts of Canada.

Last edited by ddruck; 10-01-2015 at 10:02 AM.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
 
Old 10-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #134
Giodog2000
RCC Apprentice
 
I am: Gio
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Montreal

Feedback: 0 / 0%
Posts: 40
Total Props: 0
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
I did not see much action in Toronto area either this year.
I guess it is a price issue and lack of commitment. In our club there are several members, including me, who have DLG's but mostly we fly ALES and TD here, although we have some serious DLG fliers I have not seen many of them out this year, at least at our field. The rest of the people, see it as novelty, for them, requiring sizable cash outlay, seems like complicated tasks competition program, to me, and need for certain level of health. Local glider clubs seem to have fairly high age groups here and spin tosses do not agree with aging knees and hips.
I guess the largest disappointments are the available gliders. The excellent machines are over $800, mostly $1500, the cheap intro machines are advertised well, like the Libelle, FabFlight mentioned, are ok for a few flights but they really are poor performers in general and get boring quickly, unless you live in endless, powerful, low lift world. One option is used, higher performance machines, I have one of those. Also the repair rate is quite high.
So I guess this sport needs new, young to middle age enthusiastic people to get it going in all parts of Canada.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. It's a combination of all those things.But I must say the one that stands out the most for me is the availability and price of those high end DLG's ...those fun ones ya know.
Giodog2000 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #135
takeoffeh
RCC Junior Contributor
 
I am: Jeff C
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ontario canada

Feedback: 1 / 100%
Posts: 129
Total Props: 2
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

I have never understood this.

Spend 1500 for a 3 m moldie= no problem
travel to the club field an hr away to fly said moldie= no problem

fly a 1K DLG down the street and get twice the airtime = no can do.

Here is the elephant in the room boys
Guys dont care to fly alone. Some guys just wont fly alone and many never care to put in the time to get good enough to get the double airtime I spoke of.
These days I look at the time pulling out winch line as time I could be flying. Driving to a site. Worse yet.

If you are prepared to source your own site, fly on your own and dont care about solving club membership issues people will approach you.
Nothing sells DLG`s better than exposing them to people that have never seen them. What does make people head for the hills is driving vast distances only to be grounded while somebody works out rules for a contest that might put a dust collector on the mantel.
takeoffeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #136
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor
 
I am: Dan D.
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PICKERING, ONT
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Feedback: 34 / 100%
Posts: 1,332
Total Props: 5
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

Jeff you are right, about the spending and such. But each person is different. It is not just about any flying but it is about type of flying we each like. I love electric gliders, motors, mechanics and absolutely love the way top end moldies fly. The performance is incredible and I am finally at the level where I can tell the difference and appreciate every minute of flying them. I am fine alone, and don't like winch much. My friend gets the greatest thrill from the 10 seconds on the winch line, to him that is the Adrenalin rush. We can all buy the expensive DLG but it would be besides the other one I have, rarely used. Yes they fly great and I enjoy them, but tossing them is an issue for my knees and the competition tasks have very little interest for me. The satisfaction I get from flying once a week and developing that moldy glider on that huge sod farm one hour away, even by myself, does not equal to 3 times a week on the local patch throwing a DLG. It is personal preference that is all, enjoy what ever you like the best!!

Last edited by ddruck; 10-03-2015 at 01:44 PM.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #137
takeoffeh
RCC Junior Contributor
 
I am: Jeff C
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ontario canada

Feedback: 1 / 100%
Posts: 129
Total Props: 2
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
Jeff you are right, about the spending and such. But each person is different. It is not just about any flying but it is about type of flying we each like. I love electric gliders, motors, mechanics and absolutely love the way top end moldies fly. The performance is incredible and I am finally at the level where I can tell the difference and appreciate every minute of flying them. I am fine alone, and don't like winch much. My friend gets the greatest thrill from the 10 seconds on the winch line, to him that is the Adrenalin rush. We can all buy the expensive DLG but it would be besides the other one I have, rarely used. Yes they fly great and I enjoy them, but tossing them is an issue for my knees and the competition tasks have very little interest for me. The satisfaction I get from flying once a week and developing that moldy glider on that huge sod farm one hour away, even by myself, does not equal to 3 times a week on the local patch throwing a DLG. It is personal preference that is all, enjoy what ever you like the best!!
I understand. I also understand that I am not what you could call normal. I have always been very dependent. I think that is why DLGs work for me.

Just giving my explanation as to why DLG`s dont seem conducive to club growth.
It may come off offensive to the guys that pull together comps and do a lot to help their club. That is not my intent.
I have however a good idea of just how many DLGs are out there [Ontario in particular] and it is not dead by any means.
It is spread out all over in very lose knit groups.
Many pilots have young families and limited time so choose DLGs partly because it allows them to fly close to home.
It could be said DLGs have done more to dissolve clubs than build them. I`m referring to the soaring community only. [Ontario]
takeoffeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #138
Giodog2000
RCC Apprentice
 
I am: Gio
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Montreal

Feedback: 0 / 0%
Posts: 40
Total Props: 0
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

HI jeff , nice to talk to you again and you are the reason I now have a severe DLG addiction lol. I still fly my V2 and my Polaris almost everyday btw

Yup , I love how DLG gives me the freedom of flying where and when I want. Maybe we are spread out all over in QUebec also but from what I read and heard , DLG in Quebec is thing of the past....
Giodog2000 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #139
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor
 
I am: Dan D.
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PICKERING, ONT
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Feedback: 34 / 100%
Posts: 1,332
Total Props: 5
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeoffeh View Post
I understand. I also understand that I am not what you could call normal. I have always been very dependent. I think that is why DLGs work for me.

Just giving my explanation as to why DLG`s dont seem conducive to club growth.
It may come off offensive to the guys that pull together comps and do a lot to help their club. That is not my intent.
I have however a good idea of just how many DLGs are out there [Ontario in particular] and it is not dead by any means.
It is spread out all over in very lose knit groups.
Many pilots have young families and limited time so choose DLGs partly because it allows them to fly close to home.
It could be said DLGs have done more to dissolve clubs than build them. I`m referring to the soaring community only. [Ontario]
I do not think you offended anyone, I agree with all you said. In a 'standard' rc club no glider activity is really supported due to extreme rules, flight stations.... In glider club it is no issue, we all have dlg, fields are huge and we can spread out and all do our thing, we had some sizable DLG contests. But fields are far, require extra time and commitment. Local patch is easy, close and if you get hooked you may decide to skip the trips to the big field. Like you said it is a younger guys game, less visible. This group , generally has limited finances for toys, large life commitments, but also need for instant gratification. For many multi rotors are the ticket nowadays. One other hurdle is many keep their flying patches secret to keep the riffraff from ruining it for them. I sincerely hope DLG will survive and grow where ever it is to keep sailplane community alive.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #140
takeoffeh
RCC Junior Contributor
 
I am: Jeff C
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ontario canada

Feedback: 1 / 100%
Posts: 129
Total Props: 2
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

I spend my summers away from my building board so to speak. Have spend a good number of yrs doing parts to perfect and learn the art but have grown tired of the time spent behind the keyboard just to recover the money I have invested in materials etc. [selling involves a lot of conversing ]
I'm not sure what my plans are for this winter and I'm just now what I would call getting settled for the winter of building.
I have a bunch of wing cores and carbon and I'm thinking about doing less building but more quality builds.
I dont have a real desire to go the CNC route partly because I dont have the know how or the patients to dive into the manuals. [or invest more money]
I'm at a bit of a stand still.

Looking forward to doing some messing about though.
takeoffeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Location
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
vBulletin Message

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.