DLG/HLG Gliders Thread - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #31
takeoffeh
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff C

Total Props: 2
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Welwood View Post
I just bought Dennis' last two ATX 802's last week, prompt service and good price. Still waiting for the JR285 to arrive. Jeff, these are going in the you know what. The HK servos I ordered are for foamy slopers that will get pounded into the ground as slopers do.
Bob.
bINGO!
takeoffeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #32
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

Ok that does not really explain why I do not see big difference between the servos on my test rig.

Another question, the 'better' servos have soft gears so I may need sets of gear trains, no problem what so ever. But all servos are glued in and hard to get at in these DLG so how do you easily change these broken gears if you have to do major surgery and do damage to the wing, each time to remove the servo. The tiny fuse is no better. I rather have stronger servo where I do not have to do that as often, or again am I missing easy way to do that.???

Last edited by ddruck; 11-28-2013 at 10:49 AM.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #33
takeoffeh
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff C

Total Props: 2

I reached my typing limit yesterday therefor I simply became agreeable

I buy quality servos because I do get a lot of wear out of them and I don't want to be pulling them out of wings to replace gear sets. I merely listed the cheaper servos that perform reasonable. I listed the Dymond because as I mentioned earlier wing thickness limits your choices. Dymonds physically fit and will perform reasonable .

There is much more to a good servo than just what you will see on a bench, For example, some servos drift terribly in the presents of heat. Your trims constantly change as your flying sessions goes on.
Some servos have poor bearing seats so a knock might not break a gear set but rather ruin the seat the bearing or bushing set into. The output shaft will be sloshing around giving the same slop you would experience with a wore out gear train.
Other servos might center on par but the steps in trim changes are much wider. One click does nothing then two click gives you the equivalent of 3.
The deference in flap settings between thermal and cruise modes might only translate to 3-4mm at the Trailing edge and add to that the very fine resolution in the geometry of the linkage itself and you have a servo that simply doesn't perform a given task.
Have a look at how short my control horns are on a top drive flapperon installation and then imagine how much motion [or how little motion it would take to change the flapperon trim http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...lery&t=1616214
Also note how the 8mm thick servo is completely inside the core of a 10mm thick wing.
I'm no stranger to doing surgery to replace gear sets

Hope this helps
takeoffeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Thanks, that makes sense, that is what I am looking for. Even for RES planes I always get the best elevator servo I can get just to get consistent centering and trim adjustments. Rudder for me was less important, but I guess on DLG rudder has to be consistent and have good holding power through the launch. Camber changing on this size of wing gets also pretty important due to fairly minute degree changes, but linkage tightness has a lot to do with it also.
My bench test does serve important function for me. It shows bad servos before I mount them and I can pick matched pairs together with equal throw and travel for flaps or flaperons. Not always consistent with cheaper servos, or even more expensive ones, even batches are different sometimes.
Dan

Last edited by ddruck; 11-28-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #35
DHansen
RCC Contributor

I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
Spektrum/JR
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Kinda got my eyes set on buying the xg8 radio from JR. Has a large thread in the handlaunch part of the groups, and I like the way the sides are formed for a positive grip on the radio.
I think the right rear switch has to be modified and setup for a launch elevator mix, I need to read more on that.
Any radios that are built ready to go with the switches in the right place and sailplane mixes out of the box?

RTB
DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #36
kcaldwel
RCC Contributor

I am: Kevin C.

Total Props: 6

Dan,

There is a considerable difference in servo centring under load. Digital servos should be much better, because they will apply full torque until they get to where they want to go, whereas analog servos apply torque that decreases rapidly as they approach the commanded position. Some are much better than others though.

Servormances does very good independent testing of servos. Not all servos have been tested, JR servos are under Graupner with different numbers, and it is in French. They test centring to 0.01 degree electronically:

http://www.aeroglide.net/2013/02/ser...-fevrier-2013/

I like the KSTs for the price too. Not as good as MKS, but at 1/3 the cost the KSTs are pretty good.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #37
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Thanks Kevin, that is excellent database they compiled and it looks like they are updating it as they get new tests done. Makes shopping easier, if the servo is in the database. Shows how 'optimistic' manufacturers are with the torque measure for their servos. Pretty easy to figure out, French or not.
Dan
Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #38
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26

http://www.noerskov.eu/dlg.html

stumbled across this
Old 12-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #39
wakuman
RCC Apprentice

I am: ThomasR
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 28

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
, French or not.
Dan
Not

http://www.servodatabase.com

back to topic
Old 12-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #40
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

The difference is this database is compiled retail data, useful.
The French one is bench tested data, big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakuman View Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.