DLG/HLG Gliders Thread - Page 9 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #81
Scooter123
RCC Noob

I am: Scott J
Radio of choice:
None
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It is crazy that there is such low interest in DLG's in Toronto or Ontario or Canada for that matter. Especially since it's popular in the US and Europe, complete with tournaments and events. The RCGroups hand launch forum has 415,000 posts.

I've been flying mine and I love it. DLGs are satisfying. It is probably the only RC hobby that requires physical skill in addition to building skill and flying technique. But it is also casual and relaxed. It's like tossing a frisbee that stays up for over a minute that you can control, what could be better than that? I can fly for hours on one battery in a quiet park.

They are called discus launch gliders and I'm hooked

Scooter123 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #82
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

We had the Canadian qualifying for world champs DLG at our COGG club just a while ago, there are a few guys very serious about the whole DLG thing. If you live in Mississauga you should check out SOGGI club in Hamilton, some glider guys there fly DLG, most fly in COGG also. It is hard to get a handle on how many people are in a sport if they do not compete or join a glider club. I am sure there are many playing with these on their own since this can be flown in larger parks and such. The sad fact is that many RC clubs do not like guys 'dancing' all over the field without standing in pilot stations so it will not catch in regular flying clubs and in Glider clubs, there is no problem but membership is unfortunately, usually in the higher age bracket with very few younger guys joining in any of the glider disciplines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter123 View Post
It is crazy that there is such low interest in DLG's in Toronto or Ontario or Canada for that matter. Especially since it's popular in the US and Europe, complete with tournaments and events. The RCGroups hand launch forum has 415,000 posts.

I've been flying mine and I love it. DLGs are satisfying. It is probably the only RC hobby that requires physical skill in addition to building skill and flying technique. But it is also casual and relaxed. It's like tossing a frisbee that stays up for over a minute that you can control, what could be better than that? I can fly for hours on one battery in a quiet park.

They are called discus launch gliders and I'm hooked

ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #83
takeoffeh
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff C

Total Props: 2

There are a lot more DLG flyers in S Ont.that people know about and a good number of them prefer to stay obscure.
Truth is if you find a nice field advertising it will only bring you hardships.
Witnessed that 3 times now.
takeoffeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #84
Scooter123
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
We had the Canadian qualifying for world champs DLG at our COGG club just a while ago, there are a few guys very serious about the whole DLG thing. If you live in Mississauga you should check out SOGGI club in Hamilton, some glider guys there fly DLG, most fly in COGG also. It is hard to get a handle on how many people are in a sport if they do not compete or join a glider club. I am sure there are many playing with these on their own since this can be flown in larger parks and such. The sad fact is that many RC clubs do not like guys 'dancing' all over the field without standing in pilot stations so it will not catch in regular flying clubs and in Glider clubs, there is no problem but membership is unfortunately, usually in the higher age bracket with very few younger guys joining in any of the glider disciplines.
Thanks, I will contact one or the other and see if anyone wants to meet up on a weekend to fly hand launch.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #85
Scooter123
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeoffeh View Post
There are a lot more DLG flyers in S Ont.that people know about and a good number of them prefer to stay obscure.
Truth is if you find a nice field advertising it will only bring you hardships.
Witnessed that 3 times now.
I think I know what you mean, you find someplace and finally get out there a few times, then someone complains and you're back to square one. Seems like one of the glider groups is the best way, not too sure.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #86
aeajr
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ed A
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C Super
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

New to the forum. New York based but as far as I know these RC things fly the same in USA and Canada so figured I would join your happy little community.

www.lisf.org
www.flyesl.org

As far as DLGs, I have two.

Polecat XP-5 - 1.5M Bagged wing. At the time I got it this was considered a very competitive DLG. I used it for club and Eastern Soaring League DLG contests.

I then added the Kennedy Composites Blaster 2 which is a hollow molded wing 1.5M DLG. This became my primary for club and ESL contests with the XP-5 as back-up.

After several years of flying F3K type DLG contests I have stopped flying DLG contests. I injured my left ankle and left knee a few too many times launching in the heat of contest flying. Now I just fly them for sport flying in addition to winch, hi-start, electric launched ALES and slope soaring.

Since there were a number of posts about servos, I have Dymond D47s in both DLGs and have had good experience with them.
http://www.skipmillermodels.com/D47_Servo_p/11305.htm
aeajr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #87
p1ayaone
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Peter
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: i++

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter123 View Post
Hey all,

I'm just putting some finishing touches on my Neo DLG (from flightcomp), a full-size carbon deal.

I'll be flying at the Mississauga club in August and onwards if there is anyone interested in joining.
How do you like the Neo? I got one on the way as well.

I maidened my Topsky-1, which was my first-ever DLG, loved it so much that I knew I had to have another. So I ordered a Neo a day later
p1ayaone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #88
Keith F
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Keith F

Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thre

I completed a Armsoar NEOS this spring and loving it. It is very responsive and predicable, flying local parks and fields as I can find near my house in Mississauga and Brampton. Still working my launches and thermalling technique. Mine came out alittle porky at 310g compared to many flying it at 275g or so (unless there lying). I am still surprised that most of these kit DLG setups need nose weight so why don't they/designers extend nose slightly to reduce ballast overall with optimized weight further forward ??
Anyways it is an addicting form of the hobby and in my opinion one of the purest forms flight out there, nothing is cooler than tossing your build into the air & see it climb to a miniature figure in the sky. I have only specked it out twice but it was an amazing and rewarding experience. I need to find some fields with more thermal potential as I can only find fields with perhaps too close Treelines and houses nearby so the lift has been a challenge to find......
Keith
Keith F is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #89
p1ayaone
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Peter
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: i++

Total Props: 1
Any Montrealers hucking DLG out there?
p1ayaone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #90
Keith F
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Keith F

Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Threadm

Pretty good thermally day today, here in Brampton bright sun at noon with no clouds and very light wind. At lunch time I did about 40 min of launching at my local park, I had some weak thermals but one that got me up maybe 500 ft or so, I bailed out as it was getting too far downwind over houses to be comfortable bring it back. Still getting used to the thermalling turns and not pulling too hard on the upwind & downwind sides of turns. still a blast for 40 min of effort!!
Keith F is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.