Team Losi- Portable Alkaline charger - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 12-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Sk
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Team Losi- Portable Alkaline charger

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys.
I bought a Team Losi micro T for one of my kids. These come with a portable charger that uses 8 AA alkaline batteries to do the charging. These power the charger to charge the battery pack in the car. My question is, can I safely use MH batteries in the charger rather than alkaline?
kleinssz69 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Team Losi- Portable Alkaline charger

You can. But why? There are better options out there.
You have to understand there are some limitations to the charger. This changes with the type of battery you are using

I dont know the circuitry of the charger or the battery it is charging, so I will explain some of the techincal issues and you can make your own decisions from there.

1) The difference in operating voltage between alkaline and NiMh is 1.5V vs 1.2V per cell.
This means an 8 cell battery box in alkaline will have 12V nominal vs the same 8 cells in Nimh which will have 9.6V.
So with NiMh, you are already starting off with less voltage in your charger than it would with Alkaline

2) what is the cuttoff voltage of the charger?
The charger probably has a cuttoff voltage programmed into it. It measures the voltage levels of the alkaline batteries (as a whole- not each individual cell). When the charger detects that the batteries are low, it probably sends an alarm or shuts down the charger. While I dont know what this threshold is, lets say for arguments sake that the voltage threshold is 9.5V. Given a 1.5V Alkaline (12V for 8 ) you could recharge the car pack say 5 times before you drain the alkaline batteries to the point they hit 9.5V and shuts down
But for NiMh batteries, you might only be able to charge 1 car pack before it hits 9.5V and shuts down. This can become very frustrating because you are constantly trying to keep the NiMh batteries charged

Work arounds:
Q: Is this going to be used as a portable device or charging from home?
If it is going to be used at home, why not just get a 12V power supply, hook it up to your charger and be done with it?
Or better yet, just get a good intelligent charger with a built in power supply that is 10x better than that losi charger for about 40 bucks?

If you need portability, again, the best option is to go with an intelligent charger I mention above. The one I recommend is dual power- 120V for at home and 12 V for on the road

If you want portable power with what you currently have
1) get a 12V gel cell and wire a lead from the battery into the charger you have now
2) Assuming you are running your car at a track/field, you can hook up 2 leads with alligator clips to the battery box and tap 12V directly for your car battery
3) use *9* Nimh Batteries. This will require an external battery box. 9 1.2V Nimh Batteries will make 10.8V and last you that much longer before your charger senses the input voltage is too low. This option is the least that I would consider for but I wanted to mention it to you as an option. (you could go with 10 batteries, but 10 freshly charged NiMh will output more than 12V when you first put them in, which could potentially damage the charger due to over-voltage; Again, without looking at your charger, its hard to say what its maximum rated voltage is. Some are designed to operate between 10-18V, and others are not.)

Just out of curiosity, what kind/brand/voltage/capacity is the battery that is being used in the car?
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: Sk
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Re: Team Losi- Portable Alkaline charger

I'd have to check to be sure, but I believe the battery pack voltage is 4.8
kleinssz69 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.