Vinyl Graphics Cutters - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #51
Midair
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
Re: Vinyl Graphics Cutters

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
...I just thought of something - in my example above, perhaps when I use a "thicker material" setting, there is too much of a gap between the vinyl material and the bottom of the stylus and that's why the letters tend to pull up - maybe the stylus actually holds down the letters as they're cut. Thoughts?

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #52
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 11

I just saw your photo for the Eagle graphic, Tomahawk. That is super!

My wife just put on a burst and got caught up on her scrapbooking, (4 years worth) or I would have the perfect excuse to run right out an buy one.

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #53
Carlisler
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Scott B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midair View Post

I've only had my cutter for about three weeks and I'm still learning techniques almost daily, but every time I use it, I giggle like school girl, I absolutely love this thing

Peter
I am with ya on that part for sure! Feels kinda funny to be having so much fun with something like this!

S
Carlisler is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:45 AM   #54
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midair View Post
Hi Chris:

I have found that the settings can be hit and miss and depends entirely on what brand of vinyl you use and also how intricate your graphic is. Your best approach is to do a number of test cuts, beginning at a relatively low cut and material thickness setting and increase each slowly until you get the desired results. The goal is to make a clean vinyl cut and just barely scoring the backing material. I find that if you cut is too deep you'll cut through the backing and if the material thickness setting is too thin (low number?), the blade holder stylus can "drag" across you work and pull out vinyl during the cut. I'm using the MacTac 8300 brand vinyl right now, sold by Sign Supply Canada. When cutting very small lettering 18-24 point, my machine setting is - cutting speed 2, material thickness 6 and blade cutting depth 4. I found that if I increase the material thickness number higher than 6, the stylus drags out some of the letters (to me this doesn't make sense, but that's what happens). And, if I use a cutting depth of less than 5, some vinyl letters aren't cut cleanly through. If you're cutting larger graphics, the settings tend not to be as critical. By the way, if your vinyl comes on a 9'-12" roll, you can just feed in the roll end and cut without the mat; it works really well and saves on material, because, at the end of the cut, you cut off only the vinyl that you needed. Once you've reached the magic best cut combination, record those numbers, either separately or make up a "custom" setting record on the Silhouette software.

I've only had my cutter for about three weeks and I'm still learning techniques almost daily, but every time I use it, I giggle like school girl, I absolutely love this thing

Peter
When I broke out my vinyl end cuts today. I realize now not all vinyl is the same. Some had paper backing while others a plastic backing. This alone will cause difference thicknesses and I am going to have to test each one to nail the correct settings.
I have only used the sticky mat as I only cut enough material to what I need to use.
On Ultracote I have really dialed the settings down and the cutter cleanly cuts the covering and only scratches the backing. All pieces almost fall out.
The settings I use are Speed 4, Thickness 4 and the blade set at 1.
Something else. I will run the covering iron over the Ultracote and backing on low heat to make sure the covering is semi stuck down before placing it on the mat.

I did some test runs and final cutting on some 3M Marking film vinyl I had in the end cuts. It is semi transparent. I was happy with the results and it again only scratched the plastic backing. Setting for it was Speed 3, thickness 4 and the blade depth 1.
Like you I am tickled pink with this machine and I am going back to old projects and redoing the graphics or updating the looks.

Chris with a big smile on his face!

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!

Last edited by Tomahawk; 02-11-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #55
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisler View Post
Knife at zero all the time so far. haven't touched it.
Scott. Not sure how you are getting away with not physically moving the blade to the settings required. The program suggests the blade depth but you have to actually manually lower or raise the knife to the suggested setting. The program doesn't do it for you.

Chris

Last edited by Tomahawk; 02-10-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:59 AM   #56
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Holmes View Post
I just saw your photo for the Eagle graphic, Tomahawk. That is super!

My wife just put on a burst and got caught up on her scrapbooking, (4 years worth) or I would have the perfect excuse to run right out an buy one.
Hey Dave I have to admit now that I got lucky with that Eaglet decal. I did a simple trace and it cut great. I have become more familiar with the program and now I check the trace lines up close and sometimes have to adjust them. The trace isn't perfect and it sometimes misses and you don't get a complete cut. Especially with something complicated like that Eaglet.
Still, at the time my mouth dropped open when it fell out. It really shocked me how fine a line it cut around the beak area. That must be less that 1 mm thick.

Chris

Old 02-10-2014, 02:17 AM   #57
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Here are some more pics.

The first pic is the lettering from the Eaglet cut from Ultracote. You will note the white backing it is on. This was accomplished with the offset feature in the program while the lettering was on the screen. Very easy to do.

The second pic is of my Mako floatplane. I always wanted to add the name to it but didn't want the hassle of hand cutting the vinyl. The Cameo made it so easy.
I grabbed the Jpeg from the Mako website. Cut the back graphics out and traced the lettering. Had to clean the cut lines a little and then cut it on the Cameo.
I used painters tape to pull the name off the backing and to keep things lined up. Cleaned a spot and easily place it on the wing.
Fast and easy.

This is great!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eaglet 50.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	234454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mako.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	234455  

Last edited by Tomahawk; 02-10-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #58
Carlisler
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Scott. Not sure how you are getting away with not physically moving the blade to the settings required. The program suggests the blade depth but you have to actually manually lower or raise the knife to the suggested setting. The program doesn't do it for you.

Chris
Me neither actually, but that is what the sales fella at Sign Supply said to run it on, and I haven't cut anything that would require more than a 1 so far.

covering film is super thin, and he said to run the needle at 0 or 1 for the thicker MacTac vinyl I bought.

the one thing I fine-tuned and we are talking about it here, and should more actually, as its useful as hell, is the depth and thickness for various products. Maybe suggest the creator of the thread keeps a running list of user refined settings on the first page??? Thoughts?

I am going to record some more numbers, as it forget which I have used.

The stickers on the e-Kougar in the pic are vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1161.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	814.4 KB
ID:	234469  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #59
Carlisler
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Here is some more pics.

The first pic is the lettering from the Eaglet cut from Ultracote. You will note the white backing it is on. This was accomplished with the offset feature in the program while the lettering was on the screen. Very easy to do.

This is great!

Chris
Hey Chris,

Just wondering if you just 'eye-balled' the black lettering onto the white background?

or did you upgrade to the designer software for the layering? or something else?

I am super interested in the layering feature, and a little tempted to get a nice color printer to use the 'print-and-cut' feature for detailed colored work.

This thing is awesomely fun!

I cut up some vinyl of the kids names, (sales feature to the wife) and they put them on a bunch of things! they love it too!

Cheers

S
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #60
Midair
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15

Carlisler:

Nice work on the Kougar graphics.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.