Vinyl Graphics Cutters - Page 9 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #81
Carlisler
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Scott B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 8
Re: Vinyl Graphics Cutters

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midair View Post
Wow Scott, that MAAC graphic looks great.
Peter
Thx Peter, but I just copied Colins work! (post 67)

Take a look at the stuff that he has going on there! Really nice work!

I want to play with some more designing, so I will try some new to me software trials that he recommended and see where it goes from there!

S
Carlisler is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #82
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 13

Is it worth upgrading the software?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #83
Carlisler
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Is it worth upgrading the software?
I am not sure yet as the CAD software I use now is free, and it does a bunch but not all. (much of which I just don't know yet)

A am going to try the Corel trial and Cut Wizard that Colin mentioned and see if its easier and/or can do more.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #84
cgeisel11
RCC Contributor

I am: Colin G.
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 5

I had suggested that Scott try it. I had sent him the file in PDF format, and from what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Cameo software has to convert imported files into .studio files before it will cut. When Scott ran the imported file through the tracing portion of the software, it missed some of the detail and didn't cut properly.

I converted the file to .dxf format, and it seemed to solve the problem. I did a little research, and found a plug in for Corel called "Cutwizard" that allows the user to send files directly to the Cameo from Corel without using the Silhouette Studio software. This would eliminate the need to convert all the files to .studio before cutting, and enable the Cameo to cut from PDF, .crd, .eps and many other vector file types. It would cut directly from downloaded files or files that have been shared in other formats.

I do not have any experience with Silhouette Studio, so I am unsure of what the program's capabilities are. I do know that Corel is a very versatile program that can work with many file types and is extremely capable from a design standpoint.

So, I guess depending on how far you want to go, the software upgrade may or may not be worth it. I do not have a Cameo, but I am considering buying one for when more intricate cutting is required. The plotter I'm using now is 36" wide, so it is not ideal for small stuff.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #85
Midair
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15

Not to muddy the waters, confuse cutting issues or stifle vinyl creativity , but I have done some research regarding various aftermarket cutting styluses and blades. I'm not unhappy with the Cameo Silhouette blade and lord knows I haven't yet worn it out, but I'm the type of person who can rarely leave well enough alone. I learned that cutting blades are normally available with a 30, 45 or 60 degree blade angle and each one a has different purpose. I assume that the stock Silhouette blade has a middle of the road 45 degree angle cutting surface. Anyway, after researching a number of sources, I discovered that Graphtec CB09 blade holder is a "drop in" fit for the Silhouette. Blades for this holder may be purchased in the three different angles described preceding and, unlike the Silhouette, are easily changed out. Everyone that has switched to the CB09 swears by it and claim that they would never go back to the original Silhouette blade and holder - "...the CB09 and blades cut smooth as butter." The only drawback to the CB09 and its interchangeable blades is that the cutting depth is adjusted by screwing in and out the blade holder barrel; it is not ratcheted (from a 1-10 setting) like the Silhouette unit, so initial depth setting will be hit and miss, by experimentation. By comparison the Silhouette blade holder/blade combination costs between $12-$15 each; I purchased the all aluminum barrelled Graphtec holder, with three blades for $22 (U.S.) and purchased five additional blades, in the three cut angles, for $12 (U.S.), all from E-Bay. Once I receive and use them I'll report back on my impressions.

Cheers,

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #86
cgeisel11
RCC Contributor

I am: Colin G.
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 5

Peter, I think you will see a big improvement with the new holder and the 30 degree blade. With most cutters, it will allow for more intricate cutting as the blade will pivot more freely in the stylus when the pressure is set correctly. The 60 degree blade is for thicker material (usually).
Old 02-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #87
Carlisler
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midair View Post
Once I receive and use them I'll report back on my impressions.

Cheers,

Peter
Fantastic Peter! Will be useful at replacement time, which can come REAL early if they work out well!

S
Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #88
sjd2
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Stephen D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

Yeah on sale at Micheal's again (cutter and materials)....and if you have this weeks sale flyer (and I believe off their website too?) you can get an additional 25% off coupon, on top of the 30% off sale price...today and tomorrow (14th and 15th) only....getting mine tomorrow
Old 02-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #89
Carlisler
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd2 View Post
Yeah on sale at Micheal's again (cutter and materials)....and if you have this weeks sale flyer (and I believe off their website too?) you can get an additional 25% off coupon, on top of the 30% off sale price...today and tomorrow (14th and 15th) only....getting mine tomorrow
Just checked it out cuz that's a crazy deal, but I believe that most of the coupons from Micheals exclude the Silhouette and Cricut brand product.
As stated in the coupon anyway...

S
Old 02-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #90
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd2 View Post
Tried that yesterday and it doesn't work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.