Landing a giant scale warbird? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: David C
Radio of choice:
MC-20 MX-20 X9D+ X12S
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 44
Re: Landing a giant scale warbird?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Not specific to warbirds but H9 Twin Otter:

Flaps in four notches with small amount of elevator offset (like Dale says, fly-n-try).

One notch on downwind, two notches on base, three or four after final turn. Less flaps if it is windy. Total flap amount about half of what the real one does (20 deg vs 40) just uses same number of notches to get there.

Works for me!

I have a Midwest Texan and intend to set it up much the same game-plan. Then first flight will start with fly-bys, as soon as trimmed for level, getting each pass slower and lower until I can set her down.

That's the plan anyway.
No Bounce-No Play The one who dies with the most toys wins!
MC-20 MX-20 Taranis X9DPlus HORUS
Friends don't let friends fly Spektrum!
Electric flying is pretty much seeing how close to a dead short you can run without setting it on fire.

davidmc36 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
RCC Contributor
I am: Andris F
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

I used this article to learn to fly warbirds.

This is my squadron and I fly them all the same...the way Jack Devine says in his article.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	planes1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	228283   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	597.1 KB
ID:	228284  
chevelledude13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

Great link, I'd almost forgotten about it. A ton of useful info. Thanks for posting!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: ROSS
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 5

Do nt forget lots of rudder on takeoffs also,The TF P-40 is probably one of the best war bird to start off with .It is so gentle to fly, I had guys at or field who only fly warbirds and scale birds and could nt believe what you could get away with in flight,but it did bite me on landing just a little slow and it stalled 2 ft above runway .I ended up selling it as warbirds are not my thing now that I ve tried them but they look awesome in flight.
frenzy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
RCC Master Contributor
I am: A L

Total Props: 9

Warbirds are not all the same. Different manufacturers have differently loaded birds. I have learned the hard way that you fly them to the ground. Flaps our no flaps power and fly it down to the ground, no gliding or floating.

Once you get that skill well accomplished then you can mess around with steep and shallow approaches, with or without flaps, and in different wind conditions.

Single engine warbirds do not fly like twins or multis. Some manufacturers build the wings so the model performs like a trainer others will tip stall in a heartbeat. Keep wings level on final and use your rudder to execute course corrections not ailerons.

The worst thing you could ever do is float them in too high, they will invariably fall out of the sky leaving you with destruction.

Power on all the way down, get the elevator fixed so you are descending at a shallow rate on the downwind leg and don't mess with it unless absolutely necessary. Don't chop the throttle either, a taildragger will easily nose over, you ease of the throttle while slowly pulling back on the elevator to prevent a nose over. Keep steering with the rudder.

When I get a warbird flying the first few post-trim flights are essentially 5 to 6 minutes of landing approaches.. Practices, practice, practice and then practice some more.

P.S. I land on the mains with tail draggers, none of that flare crap. Too easy to tip stall or smash the tail gear.
Do not be divided from the truth by what you would like to Believe!
Dangaras is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

Oh great, lol I've got a new TF P-40 sitting in the box, cockpit kit, etc, might have to bump it up for building soon! I need to finish my TF Spit and P-47 first I guess. Just not enough hours in the day!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #17
RCC Apprentice
I am: Trevor J
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Lots of great advice here I've learned alot
splitzed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #18
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: K.Kalynuk

Total Props: 14

Originally Posted by wollins View Post
Awesome advice guys ... I appreciate it! I didn't mention this before (embarrassed? ) but I maidened an ESM Typhoon last season and it bit me ... a little. The ESM Typhoon is notoriously heavy form its wing area .. they come in at an average of 20lbs at 857 sq inches of area. This works out to be a whopping Wing CUBE loading of 22. Mine was just about 19.5lbs.

However, it is also known to carry that weight very, very well because of the thick wing. Needless to say though I was very nervous about it stalling on approach and because I am not hugely experienced with the use of flaps (I've only used them mainly for really slow flying passes on high wing planes) I decided NOT to utilize them on this maiden.

So ... kept up the speed a bit too much on a long flat approach (as if I was landing a sport model) and bounced her about four feet in the air where the inevitable stall and crash followed. Fortunately for me she's BEAST of a plane and there was only minor damage.

However I suspect that if I had used the "warbird" approach of a steeper approach with flaps and throttle management the outcome might have been a lot more pleasant! Hence my questions now.

In any event, here are some more questions now that we've established the "technique". I know each plane is different but generally speaking ...

1. Do you guys mix in some down elevator with your flaps and if so how much? (eg: to keep her at level flight at medium speed)

2. Does one utilize FULL flaps for landing and if so how many degrees is "full"?

3. How far out from the threshold do you employ your flaps/start your decent or do you start AT the threshold?

Thanks again!

A1. I use 5 to 10 degrees up mixed in with the flap, to help keep the nose from dropping to much on final - that way I don't have to hold much back stick.

A2. Windy day - no flap, some wind 1/2 flap - 20 degrees, calm day full flap 40 to 45 degrees.

I always land with power and a bit of speed on the mains - I will not attempt a three point with a warbird any more - I find it too hard to catch the stall as it three points on the ground and if I don't catch it right, i'm in for a good hearty bounce.

My first Harvard landing at the 2 minute mark to give you an idea of my technique.

some speed, I like to touch down across from myself, and reduce the power gradually.

A3. I deploy flap and the under carriage on the down wind pass.

Currently flying 1/5 scale warbirds, Yellow Aircraft Spitfire, Skyshark P-40, TF P-51, Ziroli Harvard, each required some skill but maximum concentration at landing, each has their own little quirks.

Be patient touching down, keep some speed, land on the mains, let it roll out, better to be long at 10 mphs then short at a 100 mph and a big bounce at 50 mph.

All that being said, my first 15 various warbird landings this year were beauties, landing #16 on a cross wind day, I bounced the Harvard about 2 feet off the ground and tore out the right main gear, after I knew what I did wrong ( too much flap and got two slow) and then next 20 various warbird landings have been good, touch wood.

Just got back from Duxford after watching warbirds for 6 days, by watching the real ones gives me tips to hone my r/c techniques.

Happy to hear to going warbirds - they are my favorite planes.

All the Top Flite 1/5 warbirds arfs fly great - here is buddy Marc's first flight on the TF P-40

cheers - ken k.
I never flew the CF-100 but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express! I'm on Facebook as KPK Warbirds.
cf100 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #19
RCC Apprentice
I am: MARK S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

I fly both 3D and warbirds...I always had issue with a warbird until I took this don`t ``land`` a warbird, you just fly it to the ground lower and lower until it touches for me

It happened my fluke when I wanted to do a low pass with gear down, I landed by mistake, and that was easy !
MENO4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #20
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Steve S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 3

I just found this thread. Very informative. Thanks guys!!!
Futaba- The best, controlling Hitec digitals
G.P 330S 27% / DA 50
CMP P-47 / DLE 20 MAAC # 35960
pappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.